Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 34blast View Post

From just my one game observation, it is a lot more than a DC. Augie's offense was not good against Winona. Almost every pass is around the line of scrimmage with hopes the receiver can get the yards on their own. Scoring 7 points is too low in any D2 game. Against Winona every phase seemed subpar, offense only had 7 points, special teams was poor , poor punting and missing chip shot field goal, defense recovered after the first 2 drives and played well, but I get your point about the first 2 drives. However, it appeared with a 14 point lead Winona didn't think much of Augie's offense and played like the score was insurmountable and ran a lot of clock and took 0 chances
    Good points, for sure there were more problems with that game than just the DC's over-substitution and lack of blitzing. But some don't understand the importance of momentum in a game, if he keeps his playmakers in and doesn't give them 2 scores early, who knows what would happen. Also, the play-by-play stats disagree with the notion Winona went to a run out clock game. In the second half, they had one 20 yard drive ending with a field goal and all the other 2nd half drives were 3 and out with plenty of passing. Not much time off the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Do you feel a different DC has the Vikings 9-0?
      Probably, at least on the inside track to the playoffs. Any other DC would play his playmakers more and certainly not staff the field with mostly 2's in game critical situations. I've watched every game on stream and even the announcers comment on things like the row of starters standing next to Sipple while the opponent is in the red zone. Thought he learned after he lost the team the Sioux Falls game. That next game versus WSC, he started it out by sprinkling in some 2's rather than platooning the entire front 7 (and/or secondary) and they got a comfortable lead before he reverted. Benefit of the doubt: he's a good man who thinks he's discovered a new way to keep his players healthy and he may have achieved that objective. They'll be a healthy bunch sitting on their couches watching the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by RIPSCSUFOOTBALL View Post

Every teams rotates on defense, but I am sure the sole reason they have lost games is only on him and no other factors right? Laughable.
        I'd laugh too if I hadn't streamed every game to see it for myself and hear the announcers talk about it. It is truly unbelievable that a DC would do this kind of substitution and so I get your cynicism.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

I'd laugh too if I hadn't streamed every game to see it for myself and hear the announcers talk about it. It is truly unbelievable that a DC would do this kind of substitution and so I get your cynicism.
          In 2021 Mark Sipples's defense finished 2nd in the league giving up 21.4 points a game, thus far in 2022 Augie's defense averages 21.6 points allowed.

The real problem is offensive production. 2021 team scored 38.3 points a game, good for 2nd in the NSIC. So far in 2022 the offense is scoring 24.1 points a game, that's over two touchdowns per contest.

Last season we had a 4th year QB, this year our QB's have had limited playing time, still Augustana has beaten some of the best teams in the NSIC, BSU, NSU and WSC.

Comment

Originally posted by 34blast View Post

From just my one game observation, it is alot more than a DC. Augie's offense was not good against Winona. Almost every pass is around the line of scrimmage with hopes the receiver can get the yards on their own. Scoring 7 points is too low in any D2 game. Against Winona every phase seemed subpar, offense only had 7 points, special teams was poor , poor punting and missing chip shot field goal, defense recovered after the first 2 drives and played well, but I get your point about the first 2 drives. However, it appeared with a 14 point lead Winona didn't think much of Augie's offense and played like the score was insurmountable and ran a lot of clock and took 0 chances
            Among other issues, the most obvious to me is that Bauman is extremely average

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

In 2021 Mark Sipples's defense finished 2nd in the league giving up 21.4 points a game, thus far in 2022 Augie's defense averages 21.6 points allowed.

The real problem is offensive production. 2021 team scored 38.3 points a game, good for 2nd in the NSIC. So far in 2022 the offense is scoring 24.1 points a game, that's over two touchdowns per contest.

Last season we had a 4th year QB, this year our QB's have had limited playing time, still Augustana has beaten some of the best teams in the NSIC, BSU, NSU and WSC.
              I'd probably agree with this assessment above all others. A year ago the Augie offense was launching balls downfield and also had a great weapon with Epperson in the backfield. It seems like the downfield passing game has been a real challenge for the Vikings this season and since Epp went down the running game seems stressed. I was expecting this OL to be maybe the best in the conference but from the USF game until this point they've been having a hard time keeping the quarterback clean and the run game is almost a non issue. Personally, the challenges on the offensive side leave the D out there more and while the Augie D hasn't been wow, they've been better than worse. I had this team picked as the top in the conference..preseason..but it seems like the offense just never became prolific and things have just caved-in since the Key game.

That all said, because of their tough schedule (having to play UMD-BSU-NSU in the North) and notching some big wins against Wayne and Bemidji, they are still in the playoff hunt and a win over UMD could land them on the 7 line..but then the potenial for tie-breakers with the Winona/MSU loser could be costly....tbd. The Vikings want to see Wayne lose..as they'd fall into the 3 loss bundle with them..a team they beat. So....Vikings fans..time to cheer for the Coo! Ha..

As for the rotation with a defense....that's become very common especially on the D-Line. In the back half a lot of times depth will determine that. Certainly that can jab a team on key scores given up..but in this case I'd have the interrogation light more on the AU offense this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

I like the approach, but last years 21.4 points per game would be good for 6th place this year which ironically is where Augie is in overall standings right now. They have fewer TFLs per game, Interceptions per game, and Sacks per game than last year, which is what happens when you don't play your playmakers as much. No one has notched double digit tackles in a game this year, how many teams are in that situation?

Sure we have problems on offense, but defense sets the tone and can change momentum, but not when you platoon your entire defense like this and dig a hole early. Not going to convince anyone, but giving you things to watch for if you view a game and coaches will figure this out if they watch film.

Comment

I like the approach, but last years 21.4 points per game would be good for 6th place this year which ironically is where Augie is in overall standings right now. They have fewer TFLs per game, Interceptions per game, and Sacks per game than last year, which is what happens when you don't play your playmakers as much. No one has notched double digit tackles in a game this year, how many teams are in that situation?

Sure we have problems on offense, but defense sets the tone and can change momentum, but not when you platoon your entire defense like this and dig a hole early. Not going to convince anyone, but giving you things to watch for if you view a game and coaches will figure this out if they watch film.
                  There was another Vikings team, 1998, that showed fans around here that the offense can set the tone and change momentum. In todayโ€™s game, thatโ€™s typically the way it goes. Obviously not every team is built for that, but itโ€™s becoming clear with your statements that itโ€™s a personal issue for you, and not a personnel issue. Of course the coaches watch filmโ€ฆ ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

And sometimes, just sometimes, the OTHER team has playmakers that can make an occasional play as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

There was another Vikings team, 1998, that showed fans around here that the offense can set the tone and change momentum. In todayโ€™s game, thatโ€™s typically the way it goes. Obviously not every team is built for that, but itโ€™s becoming clear with your statements that itโ€™s a personal issue for you, and not a personnel issue. Of course the coaches watch filmโ€ฆ ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

And sometimes, just sometimes, the OTHER team has playmakers that can make an occasional play as well.
                    Like I said, you'd need to watch and listen to the evidence for yourself. Then you might have thoughts on what to agree and disagree with. Thanks for the random story, the condescending comments, and psychic reading of my mindset which are all equally irrelevant.

Comment

Like I said, you'd need to watch and listen to the evidence for yourself. Then you might have thoughts on what to agree and disagree with. Thanks for the random story, the condescending comments, and psychic reading of my mindset which are all equally irrelevant.
                      Just playing the same game :)

Comment

Wayne has never beaten USF since the Cougars joined the NSIC (0-9).

No time like the present to get that first win!

Comment

I am once again asking for USF to win a game. I knew this 3 game stretch would be tough. I was hoping for 2-1. Gotta salvage 1-2. Senior day at the Bob. Make it happen boys.
                          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                          2016 NSIC Champions
                          ๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘

Comment

MSU 14, SMSU 3

Quite an interesting game.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              MSU 14, SMSU 3

Quite an interesting game.
                              Those running throws almost never end wellโ€ฆ terrible pass there. Yikes.

Comment

What a drive by the Mustangs. 14-10 MSU

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X