Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC Players of the Week: Week #2 (9/11)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Players of the Week: Week #2 (9/11)

NSIC Offensive Player of the Week
    #12 Kyle Walljasper (QB, 6-1, 232, R-So., Fond du Lac, Wis. / Fond du Lac HS) - Minnesota Duluth

- Led the NSIC in offensive touchdowns with six in a 41-21 win at NSU
    - Turned in the third most rushing yards in the league with 110
    - Ranked second in the NSIC with a 7.33 yards per rush average on 15 attempts
    - Tied for the most rushing TDs (2), and the second most passing touchdowns (4)
    - Had 120 passing yards for a total of 230 yards, and has now had back-to-back games with five or more touchdowns

NSIC Defensive Player of the Week
    #5 Griffin Wiegel (DB, 6-0, 185, R-So., Combined Locks, Wis. / Kimberly HS) - Winona State

- Recorded two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, to go with four tackles (2 solo) in a 33-8 win over CSP
    - The pick six came under a minute into the contest
    - Notched his second pick of the day, denying CSP a touchdown opportunity with an interception in his own end zone
    - One of three NSIC players to have two picks on the year

NSIC Special Teams Player of the Week
    #8 Jacob Scott (K/P, 6-1, 180, Jr., Flower Mound, Texas / Marcus HS) - Winona State

- Tied a Winona State placekicking record with four made field goals in Saturday’s 33-8 win over CSP
    - Tied a career long when he hit a 48 yarder with 1:07 left in the first half
    - Went 4-of-5 on field goal attempts in the game, hitting from 48, 37, 27 and 18 yards out
    - Had 8 kickoffs, good for 450 yards and was 3-of-3 on PATs
    - Lead the NSIC in scoring last week with 15 points

Others Under Consideration
    OFFENSE
    Shen Butler-Lawson (MSU)
    - Led the Maverick rushing attack with 152 yards and a touchdown
    - Averaged 5.2 yards per carry
    - Has now rushed for more than 100 yards in a game twice this season and eight times in his career
    Jack Strand (MSUM)
    - Completed 30 passes for 299 yards and five passing touchdowns in MSUM’s 56-14 win over Minot State
    - Had a completion percentage of 68.2 for the contest, finding six different receivers in the game
    - Threw four touchdown passes in the first half and is one of only five quarterbacks in school history to throw five or more touchdowns in a game
    Dean Camden (USF)
    - Went 12 of 14 for 187 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a 36-17 win at UMary
    - Also rushed four times, including one for a touchdown
    - Hit Christian Janis for a 75 yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage

DEFENSE
    Sherman Gradee (AUGIE)
    - Recorded three sacks and four tackles for loss in Augustana's 27-3 win at Chadron State
    - The three sacks are a national single-game high in 2023
    - The four tackles for loss are ranked fourth in the nation for a single game in 2023
    - Was responsible for 23 lost yards for Chadron State
    - Ranks sixth in the nation with an average of 1.5 sacks per game in 2023
    Marcus Hansen (BSU)
    - Had five tackles (four solo), three tackles for loss, two sacks and a forced fumble
    - The first sack forced a quick three-and-out
    - Right before halftime, had a strip sack stopping a late drive in the red zone
    Khai West (MSU)
    - Intercepted two passes against Wayne State
    - One of his interceptions set up the Mavericks on the WSC 36, which led to a Maverick touchdown
    - Recorded three tackles
    Jack Bungarden (MSUM)
    - Led the Dragons in tackles in their 56-14 win over Minot State on Saturday, tally-ing eight total tackles, including six solo takedowns
    - Also registered three and a half tackles for loss, accruing 13 lost yards on those plays
    - Scored a touchdown by recovering a blocked punt, putting MSUM up 42-7

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Devon Jone (AUGIE)
    - Reset the school record he broke last week with an 89-yard punt return for a touch-down
    - Marked his second punt return touchdown of the season
    - Ranks first in all of NCAA football (regardless of division) with two punt return touch-downs
    - His punt returns this past Saturday at Chadron State resulted in an average of 47 yards per return
    - His average of 41.1 yards per return leads NCAA Division II
    Tate Gustafson (MSUM)
    - Blocked a punt in MSUM's 56-14 win over Minot State on Saturday with the block resulting in a Dragon touchdown.
    - Tallied seven total tackles, including five solo stops in the win.

Comment

Well deserved by Walljasper but preferred it more when the whole league was sleeping on him and didn’t think he could throw. Watching the game on Saturday Duluth could have easily put up 60+ if they didn’t take their foot off the gas in the second half.

Comment

I like that they pick the three to recognize, but also list the others considered. It gives us a snapshot on more players and what they did

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post
          I like that they pick the three to recognize, but also list the others considered. It gives us a snapshot on more players and what they did
          Agreed. This is the first year I can recall them doing this - maybe I just haven't paid attention in prior years. But I like this idea regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Agreed. This is the first year I can recall them doing this - maybe I just haven't paid attention in prior years. But I like this idea regardless.
            I thought that they did it last year too. I like the comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I thought that they did it last year too. I like the comparisons.
              Yes, they did last year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Yes, they did last year for sure.
                I must not have paid too much attention. Either way, it's a welcome addition.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I must not have paid too much attention. Either way, it's a welcome addition.
                  Hey! Missing the obvious is my job around here. Stay in your lane! ;)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X