Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty important to distinguish between "full ride" and "full tuition".

I've never heard of an RMAC team providing a "full ride", which includes tuition, books, meals, fees, and rooming.

Many teams provide a "full tuition" scholarship to their best players and target recruits. I'm not sure how the NCAA sets the guidelines for how much a "full scholarship" equals, but that is the amount that is applied to however many scholarships a team or conference allows, up to 36.

Schools have a number of ways to massage how the numbers are applied, including using non-athletic scholarship money.

In any event, both CSUP and Mines have found ways to maximize their funding, and the results show.

Someone earlier posted that Mesa is in the top 2 in providing football resources. This is not true, and was borne out by the public commentary surrounding an evaluation of moving to FCS, where they stated they were around 18-20 scholarships. That is a woeful number given the size of Mesa and what they have to offer student-athletes. It also is substantially less than Mines, CSUP, and perhaps others.

It is not always true that money breeds success, but if teams want to be in the Top 10-15 every year, you better adequately fund the program.

And Northern Colorado is the perfect example of how being cheap, including poor coaching staff depth, produces really ugly results....

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
      Pretty important to distinguish between "full ride" and "full tuition".

I've never heard of an RMAC team providing a "full ride", which includes tuition, books, meals, fees, and rooming.

Many teams provide a "full tuition" scholarship to their best players and target recruits. I'm not sure how the NCAA sets the guidelines for how much a "full scholarship" equals, but that is the amount that is applied to however many scholarships a team or conference allows, up to 36.

Schools have a number of ways to massage how the numbers are applied, including using non-athletic scholarship money.

In any event, both CSUP and Mines have found ways to maximize their funding, and the results show.

Someone earlier posted that Mesa is in the top 2 in providing football resources. This is not true, and was borne out by the public commentary surrounding an evaluation of moving to FCS, where they stated they were around 18-20 scholarships. That is a woeful number given the size of Mesa and what they have to offer student-athletes. It also is substantially less than Mines, CSUP, and perhaps others.

It is not always true that money breeds success, but if teams want to be in the Top 10-15 every year, you better adequately fund the program.

And Northern Colorado is the perfect example of how being cheap, including poor coaching staff depth, produces really ugly results....
      Well you've heard it now. The Fort has 2 "Full Rides" that I know of. Could just be a temporary new coach thing to bring in quality guys that will inspire other recruits to come there or it could become a regular thing. And like I said there's other resources to bring guys in like the Native American waiver and now the new low income tuition waiver. The new AD is a great guy that really has a passion for the football program and a strong desire to get it out of the cellar.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X