Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post

I agree ... try reffing Junior High Girls Basketball in the 'hood here in Houston. LOL ... yes, I do get your point and if the refs are CONSISTENT in what they do, then this is 100% good. You know what happens when they are not consistent in their calls.
    I tried to be consistent when on the field of battle. No make up calls. I slept pretty good at night even in West Texas where pick-up trucks with rifles in the rear window were backed up to the football fields. Coaches are a fantastic breed. In football it's hard to "sell you call" with only a flag. But you can "Talk sell your call to a coach" if he's listening. They don't know the rules like many arm chair officials don't know the rules and how to apply them. I do like sitting in the stands and explaining the calls made so the people next to me understand better. Gotten many beers from that!

Comment

Sooo ... back to the original question of this thread. I guess we will find out just how good & deep the depth on the roster is at several positions.
      Injury bug seems to have hit several teams this year, and not just in the RMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Injury bug seems to have hit several teams this year, and not just in the RMAC.
        I just wonder if the limited practices and the way they practice with limited contact during the week may be the cause of all the injuries during the games on Saturday. How do you practice being hit when you don't get hit during practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

I just wonder if the limited practices and the way they practice with limited contact during the week may be the cause of all the injuries during the games on Saturday. How do you practice being hit when you don't get hit during practice?
          Actually a very good point. Having a son in the program now I was a bit surprised with just how little contact they do seem to 'practice' with .. but they do a lot of conditioning, agility and weight room work. On one hand, I get it but on the other hand, the old school dude in me is wondering if this might not have some negative affect. Will say that my son reported at 235, immediately lost like 10 lbs which I attributed to the conditioning, being away from momma's cooking and just getting used to being a college student. However, he has gained it all back and his body looks different - more like a man than a boy - so I do like how they are putting the weight back on him.

The UIL here in Texas has really clamped down on how many hours the high schools can have 'physical' practice as well --- so it's not anything new to the Texas kids. The high schools, well, I guess I should not speak for all but the program my son was in is a large 6A well known football program - has won the State Championship in 6A Large School division recently - they do a lot of conditioning, agility and weight work as well. The 7X7 programs that have been going strong here in Texas have REALLY had a huge affect on the QB & WR positions. QBs & WRs in this state are just much more ready for the next level because of the very strong and competitive 7X7 competition in the spring/summer. Now with that said, this along with strict rules (too strict in my opinion) in place on how much a defensive back can touch or breath on a WR has had a detrimental effect on the defensive play in this state. All the good to great athletes want to be QB's or WR's and lord, the pass defense in a large majority of high school programs is horrid.
          Last edited by TexasDigger; 10-14-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Actually a very good point. Having a son in the program now I was a bit surprised with just how little contact they do seem to 'practice' with .. but they do a lot of conditioning, agility and weight room work. On one hand, I get it but on the other hand, the old school dude in me is wondering if this might not have some negative affect. Will say that my son reported at 235, immediately lost like 10 lbs which I attributed to the conditioning, being away from momma's cooking and just getting used to being a college student. However, he has gained it all back and his body looks different - more like a man then a boy - so I do like how they are putting the weight back on him.
            I have always been amazed at how the new players lose weight at the start of conditioning but build muscle by being in the weight room and add the weight. CO. Mines has an excellent weight room program and facilities!

Comment

I have always been amazed at how the new players lose weight at the start of conditioning but build muscle by being in the weight room and add the weight. CO. Mines has an excellent weight room program and facilities!
              Yes, their S&C program & facilities are D1 level (on a smaller scale). Of course, I say that not having anything to compare it to except for A&M, UH, Rice and A&M-Commerce ... and the S&C facilities & coaching at Mines are much better than Commerce, on par w Rice & UH. A&M is just at another crazy level several light years better, LOL. Regardless, I am very impressed & happy with what Mines has. Commerce does & will always get better athletes out of high school. As long as a kid can fog a mirror, they can get into Commerce. They have several kids on their rosters who could easily play at D1 but for 'academic' issues.
              Last edited by TexasDigger; 10-14-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Pueblo's weight room and S&C coach aren't too shabby either ;)

Comment

So the big question is Mayberry gonna play Saturday?

Comment

Comment

Zeman and Odom I think are capable. You never know. Mayberry really came on the scene after Guy got hurt, against Pueblo I think first game of the season a couple of years ago. You could also throw Farmer in also if you had to.

Comment

Comment

Can't agree more!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk in la junta View Post
                            So the big question is Mayberry gonna play Saturday?
                            Why is it a big question if the starting RB plays against Fort Lewis at home? Game is going to be over after 15 minutes.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Pueblo's weight room and S&C coach aren't too shabby either ;)
                                The S&C coach is great! But how can you not put restrooms and drinking fountains in a weight room is beyond me. I understand it's just 60 feet way from the building, but you do have to change buildings to take a leak! That could be a real bummer in the winter!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X