• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 NSIC Basbeall

Final NSIC regular season standings

1. Minot State (31-14, 29-6)
    2. Augustana (40-8, 26-8)
    3. St. Cloud State (28-13, 21-8)
    4. Minnesota State-Mankato (31-14, 26-10)
    5. Concordia-St. Paul (23-14, 16-10)
    6. Winona State (18-21, 17-15)
    7. Wayne State (20-24, 18-16)
    8. Northern State (20-18, 13-13)
    9. Upper Iowa (17-24, 15-18)
    10. Sioux Falls (15-31, 15-21)
    11. Southwest Minnesota State (17-23, 12-18)
    12. Minnesota-Duluth (16-29, 12-21)
    13. Minnesota-Crookston (24-27, 10-22)
    14. Bemidji State (8-36, 6-24)
    15. Mary (5-38, 2-30)

Minot State wins the NSIC regular season championship, the first ever NSIC championship for a Beavers' men's program.

Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

2018 NSIC Tournament - Sioux Falls, SD (Karras Park & SF Stadium)

First Round - Wednesday, May 9
    #1 Minot State vs. #8 Northern State (12:00 p.m.)
    #4 Minnesota State-Mankato vs. #5 Concordia-St. Paul (12:30 p.m.)
    #2 Augustana vs. #7 Wayne State (6:00 p.m.)
    #3 St. Cloud State vs. #6 Winona State (6:30 p.m.)

Comment

This hasn't happened for several years in the MIAA but I see the MIAA isn't the only conference that rewards teams for not playing games. St Cloud finished 13 games above .500 (21-8), 1-1/2 games behind Mankato (26-10) but had a .002 better winning % so they get the 3 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        This hasn't happened for several years in the MIAA but I see the MIAA isn't the only conference that rewards teams for not playing games. St Cloud finished 13 games above .500 (21-8), 1-1/2 games behind Mankato (26-10) but had a .002 better winning % so they get the 3 seed.
        The current Gopher hockey coach who was the coach at St. Cloud said tonight at the Gopher Caravan about Big Ten hockey that the Gophers missed the NCAA playoffs by .001 to the team that won it all, UMD. So it can come down to that little bit.

Or of course, it just pours gasoline on the rivalry between MSU and SCSU. :wink:

Comment

Four Mavs named to NSIC all conference teams.

http://msumavericks.com/news/2018/5/...nce-teams.aspx

http://www.northernsun.org/news/2018...announced.aspx

Comment

Comment

It would seem that if anything, the team playing fewer games should not be rewarded in a case like this. Especially if the cancelled games opponent is within a reasonable distance; i.e., within 2 hours or less. For example, the MSU softball team had a weather related cancellation with SW State in April, and was not made up later. I found this surprising, as Marshall and Mankato MN are at most an hour and a half distant. Understandably, this is ultimately up to school officials, and mutual agreement. However, it would be desirable to have a more uniform conference policy in place for this type of situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                It would seem that if anything, the team playing fewer games should not be rewarded in a case like this. Especially if the cancelled games opponent is within a reasonable distance; i.e., within 2 hours or less. For example, the MSU softball team had a weather related cancellation with SW State in April, and was not made up later. I found this surprising, as Marshall and Mankato MN are at most an hour and a half distant. Understandably, this is ultimately up to school officials, and mutual agreement. However, it would be desirable to have a more uniform conference policy in place for this type of situation.
                I know the MIAA doesn't allow teams to make up any of the weekend series games. I always thought that was crazy but it was explained that they don't want teams choosing which games to make up (rescheduling the series with a bottom team but not the series against one better teams) in a terrible weather year when many games are cancelled.

Team that are the closest geographically usually play midweek single games in 3 different weeks and I think those games can be made up.
                Last edited by Randy; 05-09-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I know the MIAA doesn't allow teams to make up any of the weekend series games. I always thought that was crazy but it was explained that they don't want teams choosing which games to make up (rescheduling the series with a bottom team but not the series against one better teams) in a terrible weather year when many games are cancelled.

Team that are the closest geographically usually play midweek single games in 3 different weeks and I think those games can be made up.
                  I can see their rationale, but agree that teams that are close geographically should be able to make up at least those games midweek.

Comment

NSIC Tournament - First Round
                    Northern State 13, Minot State 6
                    Concordia-St. Paul 7, Minnesota State-Mankato 4
                    Augustana 10, Wayne State 0
                    St. Cloud State 23, Winona State 0

===============================

NSIC Tournament Games - Thursday, May 10

Elimination Games
                    Minot State vs. Minnesota State-Mankato
                    Wayne State vs. Winona State

Winner's Bracket
                    Northern State vs. Concordia-St. Paul
                    St. Cloud State vs. Augustana

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                      I can see their rationale, but agree that teams that are close geographically should be able to make up at least those games midweek.
                      The teams have I believe a five day window to get the three game series in. They can start as early as Thursday and go into Monday, although I don't think they can take more than one day off between games.
                      With increased accuracy of weather forecasts I think it's worked out pretty well over the last few years. An MIAA team hasn't lost more than one game to the weather since the 2015 season.
                      Or we've just had great weather.

Comment

NSIC Tournament - May 10

Elimination Games
                        Minot State 3, Minnesota State-Mankato 2 (Mankato eliminated)
                        Wayne State 9, Winona State 7 (Winona eliminated)

Winner's Bracket Games
                        Concordia-St. Paul 5, Northern State 4
                        Augustana 5, St. Cloud State 2

Elimination Games
                        Minot State 13, St. Cloud State 6 (SCSU eliminated)
                        Northern State 12, Wayne State 6 (WSC eliminated)

=================================

Games for Friday, May 11

Winner's Bracket
                        Concordia-St. Paul vs. Augustana

Elimination Game
                        Minot State vs. Northern State

Comment

May 11
                          Augustana 8, Concordia-St. Paul 4
                          Minot State 4, Northern State 1 (NSU eliminated)
                          Concordia-St. Paul 4, Minot State 2 (Minot eliminated)

May 12
                          Augustana 10, Concordia-St. Paul 9

Augustana wins the 2018 NSIC Tournament.

Comment

Comment

This bracket makes absolutely no sense
                              How did Augustana get the 5th seed in the region with 44 wins, when they were #1 in the country at the end of April?

Also, how did St Cloud get in with 29 wins when they were 3rd in the regular season and got beat by Minot in the tournament?

Minot had 36 wins, regular season title and got 3rd in the conference tournament that should have been more than enough to get in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X