Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

We'll that didn't take long...
    And now a Go Fund Me page has been launched. If they can raise $500,000 by the end of the day Friday, they have a couple of donors that will match. Then the administration would reconsider, I guess. If the team isn't reinstated, then the monies will be refunded.

I personally don't see it happening. As much as I want the Chargers to survive, they can't keep going through this every 10 years. And even if the program does get reinstated, you have to basically start from scratch. The players on the current team are already out there selling themselves trying to land spots on other programs. Sure, some will stick around, but they can't sit around waiting to see if they reinstate the program or not.

Will Long Island University end up being the reincarnation of the Chargers? Hmmm......
    Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

And now a Go Fund Me page has been launched. If they can raise $500,000 by the end of the day Friday, they have a couple of donors that will match. Then the administration would reconsider, I guess. If the team isn't reinstated, then the monies will be refunded.

I personally don't see it happening. As much as I want the Chargers to survive, they can't keep going through this every 10 years. And even if the program does get reinstated, you have to basically start from scratch. The players on the current team are already out there selling themselves trying to land spots on other programs. Sure, some will stick around, but they can't sit around waiting to see if they reinstate the program or not.

Will Long Island University end up being the reincarnation of the Chargers? Hmmm......
      Not sure how LIU's move will be received. Unfortunately for them, the NY Islanders plan to move back to Long Island. But I do hope a number of UAH players find a spot to land.

Comment

Well, the Go Fund Me campaign for UAH did it, they got to their $500,000 last Friday (closer to $800,000 I believe once all the matching donations are in). According to what the school said, they will reinstate the program and will work with an advisory group on making the team stick around.

They still don't have a conference home after this year, so we will see if this is a one year stay of execution, or if something will really come out of all of it.

Also, their head coach and one of the assistants has resigned. Lance West will take over as interim head coach. He is an UAH alum.
        Millsy

Comment

Well, the Go Fund Me campaign for UAH did it, they got to their $500,000 last Friday (closer to $800,000 I believe once all the matching donations are in). According to what the school said, they will reinstate the program and will work with an advisory group on making the team stick around.

They still don't have a conference home after this year, so we will see if this is a one year stay of execution, or if something will really come out of all of it.

Also, their head coach and one of the assistants has resigned. Lance West will take over as interim head coach. He is an UAH alum.
          Just saw that UAH was reinstated unanimously by WCHA members. I'm not sure if the program survives beyond 2021, but I hope that I am wrong. Unless UAH can somehow elevate hockey as their athletic crown jewel like most of the non D1 schools, the drama will never stop.

Comment

Canada cancelled fall sports, and delays hockey season until Jan 1. This means hockey exhibitions with NCAA teams are cancelled.

https://www.themackreport.com/colleg...ions-canceled/

Comment

Press conference today at 1:00 CT by the "new" CCHA to announce the new Commish. Rumor is that Don Lucia will be getting the position.

It will be streamed on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8fHd7cHSIc
              Millsy

Comment

You called it- Lucia named as commish.

https://ferrisstatebulldogs.com/spor...20200617kwxyor

Comment

Does Lucia know something or is he just speculating? Could St Thomas become the 8th member of the CCHA if the NCAA allows them to move up?

https://www.startribune.com/new-comm...cha/571323762/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Does Lucia know something or is he just speculating? Could St Thomas become the 8th member of the CCHA if the NCAA allows them to move up?

https://www.startribune.com/new-comm...cha/571323762/
                    I think everyone knows they are a candidate to fill that 8th spot. And the NCAA essentially gave them the green light yesterday to pursue D-I opportunities, even if an official vote didn't happen.
                    Millsy

Comment

I think everyone knows they are a candidate to fill that 8th spot. And the NCAA essentially gave them the green light yesterday to pursue D-I opportunities, even if an official vote didn't happen.
                      I expect that Lucia has already spoken to UST. And I'm sure UST is already on the conference agenda.

Comment

I expect that Lucia has already spoken to UST. And I'm sure UST is already on the conference agenda.
                        The women's team would help fill a WCHA spot too.

Comment

The women's team would help fill a WCHA spot too.
                          That is the next big question, what happens to the Women's WCHA? My gut tells me that could have also been part of the issue with Tech, Northern, Lake, Ferris, and Bowling Green only having men's teams in the WCHA and no women's teams. I am not sure how the financial structure worked, but if the Women's league was pulling any funds off the men's side, I could see that leading to those five pushing to get out.

Will the Women's WCHA survive as it's own entity, because, frankly, I don't see the Men's WCHA surviving with just Huntsville, Anchorage and Fairbanks and I don't see them getting enough other teams to create a league?
                          Millsy

Comment

Just saw that UAH was reinstated unanimously by WCHA members. I'm not sure if the program survives beyond 2021, but I hope that I am wrong. Unless UAH can somehow elevate hockey as their athletic crown jewel like most of the non D1 schools, the drama will never stop.
                            You need to understand the mindset of the UAH alumni, and their affinity for the Ice Chargers. There is also an ongoing issue with the UAH administration, the mothership in Tuscaloosa and the athletic program. Tuscaloosa went to Huntsville and picked up my sport and carried it back to Bear Bryant country. When it comes down to buying a spare cyclotron or two, or funding athletics, the first impulse is to cut sports, especially hockey; which is understandably the most expensive.

When I was a student there, hockey was king. Homecoming was at a hockey game. The campus shut down to head to the VBCC for hockey games. Though, one problem with USH and the alums is that a high percentage of us leave the area. Only so many jobs for physicians, nurses and engineers.
                            Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

UMD officially announces the postponement of the Ice Breaker tournament, which would have been played Oct. 9-10 at Amsoil Arena with Minnesota, Minnesota State, and Providence.

Comment

UMD officially announces the postponement of the Ice Breaker tournament, which would have been played Oct. 9-10 at Amsoil Arena with Minnesota, Minnesota State, and Providence.
                                Doesn't surprise me. My son's hockey tournament this weekend in Duluth just got cancelled as well. And with the uptick in cases in the Duluth area, neither announcement surprised me.
                                Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X