Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our outfielders got burned at least twice by playing too shallow. Here's the thing, if the ball drops in front of you it's a single, if it flies over your head to the wall it's a double.

Comment

Randy, where are you? Get in here Mule brother. Always look forward to your insight, stats, etc.

Comment

I'm still here. Since 2008 we've attended the WCWS in OKC. I watched Mules game in our room and then went back to the stadium. Due to lightning/rain delays and length of the games we didn't get back to our room until 3am. We got up in time to make the first game on Sunday. We left during the lightning delay in the second game. Went back to the room to shower off the sunscreen, out to supper and drove home last night because my daughter has grad school commitments.

I guess you can say Tampa saved their ace for game 2 but the guy they started was 5-1 w/1.93era. The game 6 guy is 7-0 w/3.83era. Mule coaches have always started the "ace" in the first game. Brad Hill always said you have to win the first game before you can win game 2. Also the earlier you start him the earlier he can pitch later in the week, or if all goes well, he can pitch can pitch for the championship on normal rest.
        Last edited by Randy; 06-07-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Game 2 recap:

The Mules beat NWNazarene 9-3. Mason Green got the win (15-0) allowing 1 run on 5 hits, no walks & 8 strikeouts in 6 innings. 7 of the 9 Mules collected 12 hits lead by Cole Taylor with a 2 run HR and a 2 run double. Erik Webb topped off the night with his 16th HR, an inside the park job that should have been a single but the CF tried to catch it and it bounced by him.
          Last edited by Randy; 06-07-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Game 6 - The battle of the Titans.

Only 2 teams in Cary have won a title, Tampa with 8 and the Mules with 2. Tampa's 8 are the second most behind fellow Sunshine State Conference foe Florida Southern with 9. Cal Poly Pamona is next with 3 but they have since moved on to D1. As have 5 of the 9 schools tied for 4th with 2. The 4 that remain are CentralMO, Chico State, Southern Indiana & West Chester. Interesting side note, the Mule's championship wins are against Florida Southern & Tampa.

Mules win 8-4. Colin Jones (8-1) got the win despite allowing 4 runs in 5+ innings. Brady Gavin came in with no outs and runners on 2nd & 3rd and only allowed 1 run to score retiring all 6 batters he faced. Chase Plymell pitched a scoreless 8th and Evan Rathburn a scoreless 9th for the Mules. Mule pitchers allowed 12 hits but no walks or hit batsmen.

The Mules jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st when Erik Webb hit his 2nd HR of the championships. That lead didn't last through the 1st as Drew Ehrhard of Tampa also hit his 2nd HR giving them a 2-1 lead. The Mules tied the game at 2 in the 2nd with a squeeze bunt by Gavin Strobel. Tampa grabbed the lead back in the 3rd on a HR by E.J. Cumbo (one of several players they picked up when NY Tech (who was in Cary in 2019) shut down their program. The Mules grabbed the lead for good in the top of the 5th on another Webb HR and a 2rbi single by Donovan Ditto. The run Tampa scored in the 6th was their last but the Mules added 3 in the 8th with a Garrett Pennington HR and a 2rbi single from Josh Schumacher, the first hit of the championships (and the first time reaching base) for the Mules leader Avg & OB%.

The Mules are off until Thursday and should go with Conor Dryer and would have Green ready for Friday should an "if" game be needed or the first Championship game on either Friday or Saturday.
            Last edited by Randy; 06-07-2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              I'm still here. Since 2008 we've attended the WCWS in OKC. I watched Mules game in our room and then went back to the stadium. Due to lightning/rain delays and length of the games we didn't get back to our room until 3am. We got up in time to make the first game on Sunday. We left during the lightning delay in the second game. Went back to the room to shower off the sunscreen, out to supper and drove home last night because my daughter has grad school commitments.

I guess you can say Tampa saved their ace for game 2 but the guy they started was 5-1 w/1.93era. The game 6 guy is 7-0 w/3.83era. Mule coaches have always started the "ace" in the first game. Brad Hill always said you have to win the first game before you can win game 2. Also the earlier you start him the earlier he can pitch later in the week, or if all goes well, he can pitch can pitch for the championship on normal rest.

Before the Tampa vs Trevecca Nazarene game the announcers said era aside, the Tampa coaches still considered their top three starters to be (1) Paul (2) Nelson (3) Linder. Not sure Brad's statement about winning the first game before you can win the second is really all that profound, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkeydamus View Post

Before the Tampa vs Trevecca Nazarene game the announcers said era aside, the Tampa coaches still considered their top three starters to be (1) Paul (2) Nelson (3) Linder. Not sure Brad's statement about winning the first game before you can win the second is really all that profound, but whatever.
                My point wasn't that Paul wasn't considered the ace. My point was that, prior to Saturday, Linder had pitched almost as well as Paul and better than Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

My point wasn't that Paul wasn't considered the ace. My point was that, prior to Saturday, Linder had pitched almost as well as Paul and better than Nelson.

I wasn't debating your point and it was the same point the broadcasters made before the game. I was just pointing out who the Tampa coaches regarded as their top three starters.

Last edited by Donkeydamus; 06-09-2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

UCM gets Tampa again on Thursday. I assume the Mules will go with their #3 starter and Mason Green will pitch on Friday. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Donkeydamus View Post
                      UCM gets Tampa again on Thursday. I assume the Mules will go with their #3 starter and Mason Green will pitch on Friday. Any thoughts on that?

If the Mules lose on Thursday then Mason on Friday, if Mules win on Thursday, then Mason on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

If the Mules lose on Thursday then Mason on Friday, if Mules win on Thursday, then Mason on Saturday.

Right,,,,,, Friday would be an elimination game if necessary and Saturday would be the championship.

Comment

Big chance of rain for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Comment

Thursday games are pushed up because of rain later in the afternoon.

Game 1 - 10 AM (CDT) Angelo State vs Wingate

Game 2 - 1 PM (CDT) Central Missouri vs Tampa

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

It depends on if Angelo wins also. Barring weather, there will be game(s) on Friday. This is double elimination so if both CentralMO and Angelo win on Thursday, they will start a best of 3 on Friday. The second game and third (if needed) will be Saturday. If Tampa and/or Wingate win, the "if" game(s) will be Friday and championship game(s) on Saturday.
                              Last edited by Randy; 06-10-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Wingate lead 4-0 after 7 but Angelo scored 3 in the 8th and 1 in the 9th to tie the game at 4. Wingate had the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th and 2 outs when they stopped the game due to the heavy rain with a 2-2 count on the batter. The Mule game isn't starting anytime soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X