X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

What I have a problem with is reneging on signed LOIs, essentially breaking a written contract. Bright side, there are no shortage of great players in transfer portal who love the wlu style. I can think of 2 cases- probably there are more.

insincere Carry - likely d1 3rd party tampering. Got Malik and Patrick who were likely better fits. Karma had him transfer to Kent state. Lol
    Luke Denbow - only paul harvey would disclose the rest of the story... anyhow, Steve Cannady is much better and much more experienced.

"The optimist believes we are living in the best of all possible worlds.... the pessimist fears it is true."
    Funny how fan perceptions of the player changes after the player decommits. I recall some pretty lofty things being said on this message board about both Carry and Denbow when they were in the WLU recruting class...Then when they left just as many posts about how we were better without them/the players we got in their place were actually BETTER!

"There are three sides to every story, my side, your side and the TRUTH!"

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

We'll see if he actually shows up on the Hilltop. We seem to have had some recent issues signing players and then having them de-commit after a big senior school-boy season.
    What I have a problem with is reneging on signed LOIs, essentially breaking a written contract. Bright side, there are no shortage of great players in transfer portal who love the wlu style. I can think of 2 cases- probably there are more.

insincere Carry - likely d1 3rd party tampering. Got Malik and Patrick who were likely better fits. Karma had him transfer to Kent state. Lol
    Luke Denbow - only paul harvey would disclose the rest of the story... anyhow, Steve Cannady is much better and much more experienced.

"The optimist believes we are living in the best of all possible worlds.... the pessimist fears it is true."

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Imho, I would be very surprised if Terrance Pankey does not see significant time in 2023-2024. His skills and judgment are so advanced for his age.
    We'll see if he actually shows up on the Hilltop. We seem to have had some recent issues signing players and then having them de-commit after a big senior school-boy season.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Imho, I would be very surprised if Terrance Pankey does not see significant time in 2023-2024. His skills and judgment are so advanced for his age.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Hope this is a precursor to a long line of Eastern European players. They are great fits for the wlu style and it matches well with the euro pro game.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    The Serbian pipeline has opened up https://twitter.com/wlathletics/stat...INypviFp2t2X9Q

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    New wlu verbal for 2023
    Terrance Pankey, Jr. of Youngstown Ursiline has verbally committed to West Liberty, according to his twiitter.
    Rare combination of maturity, basketball iq, unselfishness and great athletic ability. Perfect fit for the hilltoppers! He will thrive in this system.

Highlights:
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1335843...b31b13cc3611e0

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Definitely not ducking anybody with that schedule they released--non-con games against Cal, UPJ, Lubbock Christian, and @ Bowie. The new rotation isn't going to have a lot of time to jell with 3 quality PSAC opponents coming in week 1 (Shepherd, Cal, & UPJ).
    I am optimistic that they will jell very quickly. Despite just open gym with 7 new players and no practices:
    - they share the ball readily and make the extra pass
    - several of their new players play above the rim on a routine basis
    - returning players have transformed their bodies
    - every player is quick and athletic for their size
    - great experience at college level for transfers

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    West Liberty playing in Las Vegas tourney!
    Lubbock Christian sat dec 17
    Missouri S and T sun Dec 18

Great reward for their hard work!
    Definitely not ducking anybody with that schedule they released--non-con games against Cal, UPJ, Lubbock Christian, and @ Bowie. The new rotation isn't going to have a lot of time to jell with 3 quality PSAC opponents coming in week 1 (Shepherd, Cal, & UPJ).

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    West Liberty playing in Las Vegas tourney!
    Lubbock Christian sat dec 17
    Missouri S and T sun Dec 18

Great reward for their hard work!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Just saw this tweet...
    23 of 25! Wow!
    Could Cmont Montague be the next Seger Bonifant from three? (Seger averaged over 52% for career, best in ncaa history). We have quite the collection of 3 pt snipers!

Tweet

See new TweetsConversation

Pat Woods
    @pwoods330 New Record Holder @cmont__1 tied @LukaG_55
    for the @FactorySportsDETwitter for iPad

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

On paper, I'd agree. Roster looks strong and deep. At this stage, I'd put IUP and WL on a collision course.

Question will be how these imports adjust to being part-time players. That has to be the biggest challenge.
    Good points.
    To mitigate some of these risks:

- wlu makes it clear to recruits that even All Americans rarely avg. over 27 mins a game. The level of effort required for the style mandates a deep bench. Nine or more guys usually get 15 mins or more a game.
    - if at all possible, wlu wants recruits to play open gym against existing players, so the recruit can assess the fit.
    - wlu gets 20% more possessions a game. So a 36 min per game guy elsewhere may only get the same number of possessions as a 27 min per game player at wlu. In addition, a wlu possession requires active participation from all 5 players.
    - if transfers have <= 2 years, they have to stay the course. Another transfer makes them sit a year unless it is a grad transfer year.
    - nearly all transfers come to wlu for the style.

- Bigger risk may be star hs players, who underestimate the higher skill level that is required to play at elite d2 schools. Some can't handle being a little fish in a big pond for 3 years and can't wait their turn.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-22-2022, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Getting really excited about this year's team...
    imho:
    - may be the fastest team in recent years
    - the bigs can run with the guards, shoot, rebound and handle the ball.
    - everyone is strong defensively
    - everyone is super competitive with high motors.
    - everyone rapidly passes the ball until someone gets an open shot. No hero ball. It doesn't stick like last year.
    - evenly matched talent top to bottom of roster

On paper, I'd agree. Roster looks strong and deep. At this stage, I'd put IUP and WL on a collision course.

Question will be how these imports adjust to being part-time players. That has to be the biggest challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Getting really excited about this year's team...
    imho:
    - may be the fastest team in recent years
    - the bigs can run with the guards, shoot, rebound and handle the ball.
    - everyone is strong defensively
    - everyone is super competitive with high motors.
    - everyone rapidly passes the ball until someone gets an open shot. No hero ball. It doesn't stick like last year.
    - evenly matched talent top to bottom of roster

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X