X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Congrats to WVSU. They played extremely hard.

IMHO Difference in game (have not seen stats)
    • WLU lost the rebounding battle
    • WLU attempted too many difficult passes, resulting in turnovers
    • WLU did not turn enough forced turnovers into points
    IMHO, there are no sweeping changes needed in the roster. Players just need to learn to move with purpose without the ball and not let the ball stick. The coaches exhort them to do that, but they have relapses. When a team does that, it distorts the defense and creates openings for three-point snipers and much easier shots inside too that won't get blocked.

The players need to watch NWMSU move the ball. Hudgens, the national player of the year will drive but refuse to take a difficult, contested shot. Instead he kicks it out to a teammate for a three. They wear down opponents offensively with their passing and movement without the ball.
    This. Thanks for bringing the voice of reason and talking the other Hilltopper faithful off the ledge, Columbus.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Congrats to WVSU. They played extremely hard.

IMHO Difference in game (have not seen stats)
    • WLU lost the rebounding battle
    • WLU attempted too many difficult passes, resulting in turnovers
    • WLU did not turn enough forced turnovers into points
    IMHO, there are no sweeping changes needed in the roster. Players just need to learn to move with purpose without the ball and not let the ball stick. The coaches exhort them to do that, but they have relapses. When a team does that, it distorts the defense and creates openings for three-point snipers and much easier shots inside too that won't get blocked.

The players need to watch NWMSU move the ball. Hudgens, the national player of the year will drive but refuse to take a difficult, contested shot. Instead he kicks it out to a teammate for a three. They wear down opponents offensively with their passing and movement without the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    The old saying goes: hard to beat a good team three times in one season. Needed to bring the A game today and didn't do it.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I actually think I agree with you. Foster or Alston probably has a stronger claim to that honor this season. (Heck, from a sheer individual stat-stuffing performance standpoint, guys like Isaiah Sanders and John Williams have reasonable claims to the crown as well). Butler certainly had a nice season, but not the kind of season in which your opponent has to game plan you (whereas every team in the PSAC has to ask themselves "what are we gonna do about Alston?" when they play Cal). That, to me, is the mark of a regional POY. In the past, when WLU guys like Bonifant, Falk, Monteroso, etc. won that honor, I think they passed that "game plan test" a bit more than Butler. Butler is still just a Soph, so I expect he'll get to that level in the coming years, but the award seems a year or two early in this case. But congrats to the young man nonetheless. He has certainly worked hard to add aspects to his game that weren't there a year or two ago. And if he keeps developing, he could be scary good in two years.
    Both Foster and Alston were first team. I am sure it was a difficult call.
    If NBA combine measurables were a factor, Alston would be the runaway winner over Bryce.

However, although I respect Alston's talent, watching the CAL Fairmont game, he takes plays off, especially on defense.
    Have not watched Foster.

Bryce had the following stats for the entire season averaging 26 minutes per game:
    7.3 rebounds
    68% overall FG %
    43% from three
    67% effective FG %
    1.67 Assist to TO ratio
    3.1 assists per game
    Very good defender - he drew two charging calls on McManus in the low post in the MEC tourney
    9 double doubles
    His motor does not stop.

Those numbers are somewhat misleading. In January, he started to dominate, much like Patrick Robinson, but in a different way.
    Some of those games in 2022, Bryce had incredible high effective shooting % (70% to 80+% in some games).
    He started dominating in close games when the game was on the line.

Coaches did start to worry about how to game plan for Bryce, in addition to Patrick.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-12-2022, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I actually think I agree with you. Foster or Alston probably has a stronger claim to that honor this season. (Heck, from a sheer individual stat-stuffing performance standpoint, guys like Isaiah Sanders and John Williams have reasonable claims to the crown as well). Butler certainly had a nice season, but not the kind of season in which your opponent has to game plan you (whereas every team in the PSAC has to ask themselves "what are we gonna do about Alston?" when they play Cal). That, to me, is the mark of a regional POY. In the past, when WLU guys like Bonifant, Falk, Monteroso, etc. won that honor, I think they passed that "game plan test" a bit more than Butler. Butler is still just a Soph, so I expect he'll get to that level in the coming years, but the award seems a year or two early in this case. But congrats to the young man nonetheless. He has certainly worked hard to add aspects to his game that weren't there a year or two ago. And if he keeps developing, he could be scary good in two years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Who?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Bryce Butler named Atlantic Region Player of the year!
    Patrick Robinson III also named to first team.
    Congrats!

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...gion-team.aspx
    Who?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Bryce Butler named Atlantic Region Player of the year!
    Patrick Robinson III also named to first team.
    Congrats!

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...gion-team.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    After Younkin's injury and throughout the tourney, Fairmont was regularly running some kind of 1-2-2 zone. I would guess they'll go to some variation of a zone. Neither Whippen (who is a Cal transfer by the way) nor Mangas is anywhere near equipped to deal with Alston one-on-one.

Sanders is certainly a talented athlete and good leaper (he jumped center in the post-Younkin MEC tourney games), but I would think you'd risk too much foul trouble on the one guy you can't afford to be without if Sanders were tasked with hanging with Alston.
    Based on the other comments as well as yours, I tend to side with you on using some type of zone, which is considered when a team does not match up athletically. A box and 1, where 4 players play zone and 1 player chases Alston to deny the ball might be tried, but I have doubts as to its effectiveness.

They probably don't have time to master anything other than 1-2-2. They will give up open looks from three and
    It leaves openings for cal rebounding.

Probably will need cal to have bad shooting night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    OT

Curious...
    Any thoughts on how Fairmont will game plan against Cal and Alston?
    Fairmont has some 3 pt shooters in vonhandorf 39.5%, sanders 35.5%, Dobbs 38.8% and Parris 44.4%
    great ft shooters too.

Trade 3 for 2s from Alston?
    try to get him in foul trouble?
    use:
    Whippen? Whippen good? (couldn't resist lol)
    Sanders on Alston?
    zone?

A 6'5", 170 lb true freshman has absolutely no chance against Alston.

So, does FSU essentially say he's going to get his but we'll hammer the other four dudes?

LIke I said in the other thread, Alston put up 36 and 16 on FSU WITH Younkin in the lineup.

He's just a physical freak for the D2 level. He's big. He's fast. He's incredibly strong. He can shoot. He can jump out of the building.

On one hand, you say FSU needs to run and gun. But, that's actually how Cal likes to play. If you slow it down and play half-court, Alston will score 55 on the freshman. That kid will be fouled out by halftime.

Don't forget Pegram is an elite guard. Collins and Boswell have been sporadic but they are solid, too. The Vulcans have to dangerous small forwards.

FSU's only prayer in this game is to get Alston in foul trouble. If they can do that early ... it's game on. If not, I just can't see any possible way FSU stays in this game.

Cal's weakness ... well, just watch the IUP games. It's abundantly clear. It has nothing to do with Alston. He's getting 25 & 14 no matter what you try on him.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    After Younkin's injury and throughout the tourney, Fairmont was regularly running some kind of 1-2-2 zone. I would guess they'll go to some variation of a zone. Neither Whippen (who is a Cal transfer by the way) nor Mangas is anywhere near equipped to deal with Alston one-on-one.

Sanders is certainly a talented athlete and good leaper (he jumped center in the post-Younkin MEC tourney games), but I would think you'd risk too much foul trouble on the one guy you can't afford to be without if Sanders were tasked with hanging with Alston.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    OT

Curious...
    Fairmont has some 3 pt shooters in vonhandorf 39.5%, sanders 35.5%, Dobbs 38.8% and Parris 44.4%
    great ft shooters too.

use:
    Sanders on Alston?
    zone?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    OT

Curious...
    great ft shooters too.

use:
    Sanders on Alston?
    zone?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X