X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Probably just dreams of playing more minutes. At 6-7 with a nice skill set he should have options.
    He certainly does have a nice skill set, but it never seemed like the right skill set to fit with the WLU system. He doesn't shoot well enough to play guard in the WLU system. And he never seemed totally comfortable banging underneath. In a couple of those post-game sit-downs, Jon mentioned playing the point in high school. I think he's more comfortable being a distributor (and you could definitely see this year that he's a very good passer with a high basketball IQ), but at 6'7" in the WLU system, you're a Center. Or if you're a big guy who wants to play guard, you better shoot the lights out (cf. Seger Bonifant). So, I do think Alessandro will make a useful piece at a lot of D2 schools, he was a bit of an odd fit for WLU's system. I suppose good for him that he recognized that "fit" issue, and here's wishing him the best wherever he lands.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied
    Probably just dreams of playing more minutes. At 6-7 with a nice skill set he should have options.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Allesandro in the portal. Sure hope he doesn't have D1 dreams.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Here are d3 stats. Anybody familiar with D3 Greenville? Their stats are crazy good, except for one important stat: Their record was 14-13.

WL Statistics through March 8, 2020

Note: The comparison with D1 stats is not to imply that WLU would defeat high-major D1 teams, as the greater raw athletic ability of D1 players would probably overcome their flaws in the understanding and execution of the important concepts of the game. It just demonstrates the quality of basketball at D2, and at West Liberty in particular.

West Liberty Team Season National Statistical Ranking (with comparison to D1 and D3 Stats) 3/20/20ndrd;rdnd

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

A little light research for you. How does WLU rank against D3 teams as well as D1?
    I found a d3 team that plays high iq basketball like wlu but without the press. Great ball movement and unselfishness. If you think wlu has never won a pre game warmup look at these guys! Perennial doormat. New coach 6 years ago with style based on data analytics. Went 29-1 and was in sweet 16 when it was cancelled. Stats are very competitive with wlu. Create blackouts because they get a good shot every time down the floor. Have a 6-7 pg who could play at wlu.

Yeshiva univ. in Manhattan, an orthodox Jewish school. Games are on YouTube. Beat penn state Harrisburg badly

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    A little light research for you. How does WLU rank against D3 teams as well as D1?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    I have exhausted wlu replays to watch. So I watched Zach Rasile as a freshman against a good western reserve team. His basketball iq was college level then. He hit 140 threes at a 50% rate to set all time Ohio single season record. Scored 25 points. He dribbled out the last 30 seconds in, around and through western reserve players who were chasing him. Amazing display of confidence and composure.

this young man is extraordinary. Was shooting 60k shots a summer even then. I wonder if he gets the green light at wlu to shoot from 30+ ft! He could really stretch defenses for the other players to go to the rim. Hold on to your hats next year!
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-07-2020, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Sine no one else seems to want to play, I'll go for round two. Admittedly, your hints help with some of the hard ones (I would NOT have guessed #1 without your clue--I would have sworn it was Dyer). But also, I'm not familiar with all of your clue references, so some are still guesses. Here goes:

Here are the number of players that are shooting over 37%, which is very efficient shooting from three-point range. Which names do you think go with each 3pt %?
    1. 51.2% Moore
    2. 50.4% Yoakum
    3. 44.5% Robinson
    4. 44.4% Dyer
    5. 42.1% Bolon
    6. 41.9% McKinney
    7. 38.9% Boswell
    8. 37.5% Hiles

Great job! Just # 5 and # 7 are switched.
    Radio show was sergeant Preston of the Yukon.
    clue #7 was Dalton Ohio and the Dalton gang.
    Dalton had a couple of tough shooting nights but compensated with his rebounding and hustle.
    The median for the individuals on the team was 41.9% which is crazy that half of the team is above this %.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM. Reason: Corrected median %

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Sine no one else seems to want to play, I'll go for round two. Admittedly, your hints help with some of the hard ones (I would NOT have guessed #1 without your clue--I would have sworn it was Dyer). But also, I'm not familiar with all of your clue references, so some are still guesses. Here goes:

Here are the number of players that are shooting over 37%, which is very efficient shooting from three-point range. Which names do you think go with each 3pt %?
    1. 51.2% Moore
    2. 50.4% Yoakum
    3. 44.5% Robinson
    4. 44.4% Dyer
    5. 42.1% Bolon
    6. 41.9% McKinney
    7. 38.9% Boswell
    8. 37.5% Hiles

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Thanks for playing, Scrub.
    Here are some clues to the names of each player.

1 You might have found him and his friend Stella hanging out with Mario Puzo on the waterfront 51.2%
    2 Where there is this person, there is always a way 50.4%
    3 This King was protagonist in one of William Shakespeare

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I'm gonna give someone else a shot at answering--if anyone else is even still reading the board--before I take a second try. I was pretty sure I was right on the first two. I'm surprised Dyer isn't #1. He picks his spots when he shoots, but, man, it just feels like it always goes in when he does. I'll check back in a day or two with my second guess if no one else is playing.

Oh, and, I definitely toyed with the idea of including "Mighty Quinn" in my list. His low number of attempts could make it a touch easier to hit for a high percentage. But it's a total crap shoot on where to place him. Similar issue with McKinney. Fewer attempts makes it harder to guess efficiency.

I'll check back in a day or two after giving others a chance to play.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    I'll give it a shot!

High efficiency three-point shooters at WL 2019-2020

1. 51.2% Dyer
    2. 50.4% Yoakum
    3. 44.5% Boswell
    4. 44.4% Robinson
    5. 42.1% Bolon
    6. 41.9% Moore
    7. 38.9% Butler
    8. 37.5% McKinney

Yoakum is correct at #2 and 50.4%. #1 would be a surprise to most fans.
    You have identified all but one of the players, but they are in the wrong order. One person needs to be removed and one needs to be added. Then you will have all the shooters. Then the order needs to change (except for Will at #2).

Hint 1: once you swap in the missing player,he goes into #8 position. Bob Dylan wrote a song using his name.and a Brit rock band in the 60s took it to #1 in UK;
    Hint 2: Youth often needs time to improve their accuracy.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-01-2020, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I'll give it a shot!

1. 51.2% Dyer
    2. 50.4% Yoakum
    3. 44.5% Boswell
    4. 44.4% Robinson
    5. 42.1% Bolon
    6. 41.9% Moore
    7. 38.9% Butler
    8. 37.5% McKinney

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    As we hunker down, here is a little trivia.

1. 51.2%
    2. 50.4%
    3. 44.5%
    4. 44.4%
    5. 42.1%
    6. 41.9%
    7. 38.9%
    8. 37.5%

Here are the members of the team as of Jan 1, 2020. Note that not all players have percentages in the list above (they are lower).

Bryce Butler
    Dalton Bolon
    Jon Alessandro
    Luke Dyer
    Malik McKinney
    Marlon Moore Jr.
    Owen Hazelbaker
    Pat Robinson III
    Preston Boswell
    Quinn Hiles
    Will Yoakum
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X