X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

I read on a basketball recruting site that only 40% of players that come out of HS to a D1 program are playing basketball at ANY level by the end of their sophomore year. Of the 60% that quit D1 basketball only 20% continue college and get their degree. At the DII/D3 level, 80% of players continue playing into their Junior and Senior years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Take a step further most of those 'roster fillers' at the end of the bench are walk-ons ... i.e. paying their own way to often times VERY expensive P5 schools.

Pitt had a local token the past 4 years. They let him start on senior day and he was out of the game in about 12 seconds.

Each his own, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    We used to call guys like this "clock watchers." They got to work at the stroke of 7, were gone for their lunch hour at exactly 12 and didn't return until exactly 1 and then at the stroke of 4 all you'd see of them was the sole of there feet as they left the building. But invariably they were the first in the food line for the monthly "birthday party!!" When you did hang out with these guys on the odd Friday, they constantly talked about how hard they work and how management just doesn't appreciate all they do for the company!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Guess it comes down to do you want to play or do you want to practice? I think if you truly love the game you play, you want to play regardless of the amount of free swagg you get.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Exactly!! Not right to really judge at but that's what we do sometimes haha.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Guess it comes down to do you want to play or do you want to practice? I think if you truly love the game you play, you want to play regardless of the amount of free swagg you get.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

We used to call guys like this "clock watchers." They got to work at the stroke of 7, were gone for their lunch hour at exactly 12 and didn't return until exactly 1 and then at the stroke of 4 all you'd see of them was the sole of there feet as they left the building. But invariably they were the first in the food line for the monthly "birthday party!!" When you did hang out with these guys on the odd Friday, they constantly talked about how hard they work and how management just doesn't appreciate all they do for the company!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    I agree Chuck Norris. Over the last few years I have watched quite a few guards in the MEC and PSAC that could have made the same contributions to WVU as the WVU guard has that was mentioned previously in this post. And that is no knock on him at all it's just there are some pretty good guards at the D2 level that could contribute at that level.

I have seen too many times a D1 transfer come down to D2 and not turn out to be the star that some think.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

I agree Chuck Norris. Over the last few years I have watched quite a few guards in the MEC and PSAC that could have made the same contributions to WVU as the WVU guard has that was mentioned previously in this post. And that is no knock on him at all it's just there are some pretty good guards at the D2 level that could contribute at that level.

I have seen too many times a D1 transfer come down to D2 and not turn out to be the star that some think.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    At a school like WVU the perks are not comparable. It's easier to accept riding the pine or playing a small role when the facilities are awesome, you are flying to away games, eating and staying at top notch restaurants and hotels, and getting a ton of cool Nike gear and shoes. Compared to having some dominoes and a bottle of water during a 4 hour bus ride home.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

At a school like WVU the perks are not comparable. It's easier to accept riding the pine or playing a small role when the facilities are awesome, you are flying to away games, eating and staying at top notch restaurants and hotels, and getting a ton of cool Nike gear and shoes. Compared to having some dominoes and a bottle of water during a 4 hour bus ride home.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    THIS!!!

I have maintained this for years... I still think D2 doesn't get the props it deserves...If it's not D1, people don't think they're any good, when the Top 25 D2 teams could compete for conference titles in the lower level d1 conferences...no doubt about it..

So players coming out of HS have this "D1 Aura" and some would rather sit bench instead of play 4 years... CRAZY
    Seems like most HS players would rather ride the pine at a D1, ANY D1, than go to a DII and play a lead role. I've got a friend that I've known for 20 years now who says with great pride that he played football at the University of Maryland. He talks with pride about being Neil O'Donnels teammate. We were having a few beverages one night a couple of years ago and he finally admitted that his college career at Maryland lasted one season as a walk-on member of the scout team getting beat on by the starters! He admitted that the only way he knew Neil O'Donnel was when he would specifically look for him on plays to throw the ball to the receiver he was trying to cover!!! Being a "DII guy" even then, I asked why he didn't go DII. He said he had a bunch of DII offers but playing for one never entered his mind. His words, why would I want to play for a Podunk little school when I could walk-on for a real team at a real school?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    THIS!!!

I have maintained this for years... I still think D2 doesn't get the props it deserves...If it's not D1, people don't think they're any good, when the Top 25 D2 teams could compete for conference titles in the lower level d1 conferences...no doubt about it..

So players coming out of HS have this "D1 Aura" and some would rather sit bench instead of play 4 years... CRAZY

Take a step further most of those 'roster fillers' at the end of the bench are walk-ons ... i.e. paying their own way to often times VERY expensive P5 schools.

Pitt had a local token the past 4 years. They let him start on senior day and he was out of the game in about 12 seconds.

Each his own, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    I've often wondered that very thing about even a kid like Chase Harler at WVU. He's a local kid from around the Wheeling area. He battles for minutes every year, sometimes winning over Huggins with hustle plays and earning a start or two. And sometimes he gets bypassed for more obvious D1 bodies and slides to a bench role. So, he's had a bit of a roller-coaster career at WVU. Maybe next year is the year and he becomes a true cornerstone for the WVU squad. But, I can't help but think his set of skills would have turned him into a National scoring champ and POY at a place like West Liberty. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be a National force on a National power at D2 than being a grinder at D1? And wouldn't the story you tell later ("I was D2 POY and had a 5-year career in Greece after graduation") be just as good as "I lettered for WVU"?
    THIS!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    I've often wondered that very thing about even a kid like Chase Harler at WVU. He's a local kid from around the Wheeling area. He battles for minutes every year, sometimes winning over Huggins with hustle plays and earning a start or two. And sometimes he gets bypassed for more obvious D1 bodies and slides to a bench role. So, he's had a bit of a roller-coaster career at WVU. Maybe next year is the year and he becomes a true cornerstone for the WVU squad. But, I can't help but think his set of skills would have turned him into a National scoring champ and POY at a place like West Liberty. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be a National force on a National power at D2 than being a grinder at D1? And wouldn't the story you tell later ("I was D2 POY and had a 5-year career in Greece after graduation") be just as good as "I lettered for WVU"?
    And how about Rhoutt, the 6'11" guy from Cameron who could tear up the MEC with his limited skills playing P5 basketball. If Huggs would let him go, hopefully he would consider WL.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X