• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    That's an interesting story. That's hard to believe he couldn't even make the team as a walk-on.

I also wonder about those kids when I watch D1 games. They all have them .. those guys at the end of the bench. Most could probably have very good careers in D2 but instead choose to take the practice squad route in D1 (and not play more than a couple minutes in four years). Some, I suppose, simply just like saying they play at WVU or Pitt or whatever.
    I've often wondered that very thing about even a kid like Chase Harler at WVU. He's a local kid from around the Wheeling area. He battles for minutes every year, sometimes winning over Huggins with hustle plays and earning a start or two. And sometimes he gets bypassed for more obvious D1 bodies and slides to a bench role. So, he's had a bit of a roller-coaster career at WVU. Maybe next year is the year and he becomes a true cornerstone for the WVU squad. But, I can't help but think his set of skills would have turned him into a National scoring champ and POY at a place like West Liberty. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be a National force on a National power at D2 than being a grinder at D1? And wouldn't the story you tell later ("I was D2 POY and had a 5-year career in Greece after graduation") be just as good as "I lettered for WVU"?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Don't forget that WLU benefited from a similar situation in the past. Cedric Harris left Jesuit to try his hand at D1. Attempted to walk on at Ohio State, and--needless to say--that didn't work out. When he wanted to return to D2, WLU signed him and he went on to become National Player of the Year. So, I guess it works both ways. Still sorry to see Hill go.

That's an interesting story. That's hard to believe he couldn't even make the team as a walk-on.

I also wonder about those kids when I watch D1 games. They all have them .. those guys at the end of the bench. Most could probably have very good careers in D2 but instead choose to take the practice squad route in D1 (and not play more than a couple minutes in four years). Some, I suppose, simply just like saying they play at WVU or Pitt or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Don't forget that WLU benefited from a similar situation in the past. Cedric Harris left Jesuit to try his hand at D1. Attempted to walk on at Ohio State, and--needless to say--that didn't work out. When he wanted to return to D2, WLU signed him and he went on to become National Player of the Year. So, I guess it works both ways. Still sorry to see Hill go.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I'll crack up if Crutch signs him. LOL. That would be funny.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Hahaha...He would be OFF my Christmas card list if that happened!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Not saying that, but WLU would give them a good run for their money...and probably beat them 50% of the time!! Wonder if he will be like Dennis...wait and wait and wait for a D1 offer and then have to end up taking a late DII offer as a lifeline?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

The 'D1' school he'll likely land at would lose to the 'D2' team he just left. Just sayin'
    Not saying that, but WLU would give them a good run for their money...and probably beat them 50% of the time!! Wonder if he will be like Dennis...wait and wait and wait for a D1 offer and then have to end up taking a late DII offer as a lifeline?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Hill was an incredibly talented scorer but his skill set seemed more suited to a 2-guard than a point guard. Looking at his final season stats, he averaged 13.5 points a game for a team that averaged more than 100 points a night. Pretty big-time for a true freshman. On the other hand, he only averaged 2 assists a game for a team that had almost 600 assists on the season. Great kid and I hope he finds a good landing spot but you can count the number of 5-11 2-guards in Division I on the fingers of one foot.
    Good points. Wonder if Boswell slides to 2 guard? In any event some folks will inherit major minutes with him leaving, either in first or second platoon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Hill was an incredibly talented scorer but his skill set seemed more suited to a 2-guard than a point guard. Looking at his final season stats, he averaged 13.5 points a game for a team that averaged more than 100 points a night. Pretty big-time for a true freshman. On the other hand, he only averaged 2 assists a game for a team that had almost 600 assists on the season. Great kid and I hope he finds a good landing spot but you can count the number of 5-11 2-guards in Division I on the fingers of one foot.
    The 'D1' school he'll likely land at would lose to the 'D2' team he just left. Just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I'd have taken him in a second. Real good add.
    Malik fills a gap - a tall, physical quick guard defender who can score. Wl has plenty of other players who pick up the slack on threes imho.
    Big + on defense.
    Close to a wash on offense imho with the caveat of limited knowledge of him. Appears to be much stronger

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Is McKinney a "1 for 1" replacement for Hill. In some ways yes and other ways no. From looking at his HS tape and reading the "scouting" reports on him, he is certainly a gifted ball handler who can slash and distribute the ball equally well...looks like he can jump out of the gym which is a plus for a slasher. Left hander which is a bit unique. His focus has (had?) been on the defensive end of the court where his cat quick speed is impressive. He has a quick release on his jumper but he doesn't take, or make, many 3's. I wouldn't call him a 1 for 1 for Hill because of his lack of 3 point production but in every other aspect, he seems to be equal to Hill. He will need to spend many hours in the gym working on his 3 but he seems to have the stroke to get much better at it. I think 6'4" is a bit of roster padding on the part of Seton Hill but he is every bit of 6'2" which would be a step up for WLU if he plays the PG position. A starter from game one as a freshman at Seton Hill...but we're talking about Seton Hill so that doesn't carry the same weight as if he was freshman starter at WLU or IUP or... Mercyhurst!

Good addition to the team who will go as far as his dedication carries him.
    I'd have taken him in a second. Real good add.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Re: Hill - If people are telling him that he has a chance to being the next Steph Curry, then they are not his friends. The odds of anyone less than 6-3 getting into the NBA are incredibly small, much less when they weigh 150 lbs. Just check the current rosters of NBA teams.
    D1 is a sleazy operation from top to bottom that exploits players, with few exception. It is replete with leeches "advising" players, based on their own self-interest. No one is going to care in 5 years whether you played D1 or D2 in terms of career opportunities.

What most folks don't know is that at least 25% of the American players in Europe are in D2 (i looked it up).
    I hope he lands at a place with good coaching and with respect for academic-athletic-social life balance.

Re: SH transfer: I like the idea of a 6-4 PG, who is a good defender and slasher. WLU had troubles defending taller, physical guards like Bolte and others. This fills a gap. Have him work out with Bolon and he will get better shooting, if from nothing but sheer effort! LOL!
    Is McKinney a "1 for 1" replacement for Hill. In some ways yes and other ways no. From looking at his HS tape and reading the "scouting" reports on him, he is certainly a gifted ball handler who can slash and distribute the ball equally well...looks like he can jump out of the gym which is a plus for a slasher. Left hander which is a bit unique. His focus has (had?) been on the defensive end of the court where his cat quick speed is impressive. He has a quick release on his jumper but he doesn't take, or make, many 3's. I wouldn't call him a 1 for 1 for Hill because of his lack of 3 point production but in every other aspect, he seems to be equal to Hill. He will need to spend many hours in the gym working on his 3 but he seems to have the stroke to get much better at it. I think 6'4" is a bit of roster padding on the part of Seton Hill but he is every bit of 6'2" which would be a step up for WLU if he plays the PG position. A starter from game one as a freshman at Seton Hill...but we're talking about Seton Hill so that doesn't carry the same weight as if he was freshman starter at WLU or IUP or... Mercyhurst!

Good addition to the team who will go as far as his dedication carries him.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

NBA is funny. He'd have to buy a ticket.
    Yep...But in the eyes of his "handlers" he is a sure thing...all he needs is exposure at a D1!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

NBA is funny. He'd have to buy a ticket.
    LOL - Good one!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X