• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He also saw the Ship game last year. Every year is different.

Basketball aside, how is Brady Arnold doing?
    So Sleva plays for Kutztown now??

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I have heard he is practicing with the team and looking good. Heard he worked out hard during summer.
    Going to be some tears of joy flowing among fans when he is introduced on nov 9.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Coach Driscoll of kutztown knows what to expect. They last met in regional final in 2016. Wlu led 80-47 with 7 minutes left despite shooting poorly from beyond the arc. I am sure he will have them well prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Very challenging games to open with. Not the normal type opening games for WL but I think is a good move to strengthen out of conference schedule.
    Coach Driscoll of kutztown knows what to expect. They last met in regional final in 2016. Wlu led 80-47 with 7 minutes left despite shooting poorly from beyond the arc. I am sure he will have them well prepared.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Very challenging games to open with. Not the normal type opening games for WL but I think is a good move to strengthen out of conference schedule.
    Agree 100%...the bugaboo for WL over the years in piling up 25 and 30 win seasons has been "they don't play anyone out of conf"...that changes now....and not that I agree, but sometimes the NCAA regional goofs put lots of merit on a tough loss...so it doesn't hurt you a ton, if you lose...can't lose all of them though! (IUP last year 1st two games)

I don't like hearing injury stuff...but 5 weeks from 1st game...and hope just minor nicks, sprains, etc..

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Last edited by Dirtybird; 10-03-2018, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
    Columbus - I watched some video of this summer league in Cleveland, basically looked like a rec league to me. I'm not saying that there weren't some decent players there, but basically it was a summer league to play in. No doubt that you have to put your time in and work hard, but basically you try to improve your areas of weakness, not necessarily by working against competition that may or may not be that good to play against. Some players need time in the weight room and others needing improvement in agility and explosiveness. From what I'm hearing WLU is a little banged up in camp, hopefully everyone can get healthy before November rolls around.
    Dalton was trying to play against taller stronger players who wanted to take it to him. I think that will be beneficial to him. But there was high variability in skill level with bottom end being out of shape d3.
    Most teams played aau style with no team defense or team offense. But they were definitely physical.

Hope everyone gets healthy by nov 9.
    West Chester and Kutztown picked to finish 1-2 in Psac east.

Leave a comment:

• CelticCoach
    replied

Columbus - I watched some video of this summer league in Cleveland, basically looked like a rec league to me. I'm not saying that there weren't some decent players there, but basically it was a summer league to play in. No doubt that you have to put your time in and work hard, but basically you try to improve your areas of weakness, not necessarily by working against competition that may or may not be that good to play against. Some players need time in the weight room and others needing improvement in agility and explosiveness. From what I'm hearing WLU is a little banged up in camp, hopefully everyone can get healthy before November rolls around.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Preseason polls, particularly for DII, have little to do with knowledgable people doing an objective comparison between teams and is more about what has happened in the past. WLU has a track record of being the #1 ranked team so the knee-jerk is to put them at #1 again. It's nice to hear, but I put almost zero stock in it...Same with the MEC Coaches preseason poll which are basically just the final standings from the previous year...that is unless something major happens like what has happened at WJU this off season.

I know we all like picking who the starters for WLU will be. But WLU is different than most teams in that the starter isn't always the best player. On a traditional team, your five starters are almost always going to be your top five minute eaters. At WLU, that just isn't the case. It is VERY common for a supposed "bench player" to get more minutes that the starter in a given game or even over a series of games. Also, outside of PG, WLU is a pretty position less team with all players having very similar skill sets with what role a player "plays" in a given play more dependent on where he happens to be on the court when the play starts. They are a team of red lego blocks.

Leave a comment:

• PSAC76
    replied

Preseason #1 in the country. Early accolades for your program...

http://mountaineast.org/news/2018/9/...on-honors.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    The roster is posted on WL website..

... And one thing I've noticed with WL program, there is always a surprise player that didn't do much at all last year... Maybe that's Keegan Saben or Marlon Moore this year...
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 09-21-2018, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

The roster is posted on WL website..

5 seniors this year...and honestly, not sure how many will even start..

I'm assuming that Boswell has to sit out this year, right? I can't imagine the wing play they will have after this season, with Bolon and Boswell on both wings...That's an enviable D2 combo of guards...

Here's my prediction on starters this year:
    PG: Brady Arnold, if healthy. Back up: Yahel Hill or Luke Dyer. (One of these backups may be redshirt candidate)

SG: Dalton Bolon. Pencil him in for the next 3 years. Solid, solid player. Maybe a d2 AA in a few years.

#3: Evan French. Maybe their best shooter. Back up guards: Nate Allen, Ariel Watson and Keegan Saben

PF: Eric Meininger. Has carved out a nice niche for himself, and is a tough match up with other bigs bc of shooting stroke. Back up: Tyler Primmer

Center, but really another Forward at WL: Nick Greely. Will operate like Grossenbacher did...hitting 3's, getting boards, providing muscle inside. Back up: Marlon Moore.

You know, if you look at that lineup, it's pretty good.. And one thing I've noticed with WL program, there is always a surprise player that didn't do much at all last year... Maybe that's Keegan Saben or Marlon Moore this year...

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
    I saw where Street and Smith has WLU ranked #1 in their preseason rankings. Based on the end of last season, I really cannot understand that ranking. Y'all would know better than I, is that ranking defensible?
    I'll confess, I'm a huge Hilltopper fan...but also fairly objective..

And I do think WL has a really good national reputation in D2, for what it's worth... And therefore the "uninformed" national folks figure that they are always a good bet to be land in the Top 5 or so...And they are buoyed by what has never been a murderer's row of non conference opponents... add it all up, and you land in the top 10...

That being said, they lost a d2 all american in Monteroso, lost a good solid, D1 transfer in James Griffin, lost a good PG in Jordan Watson...and lost a Swiss Army knife player in Brandon Smith...

And I agree with IUP BIG INdIANS, it's usually more newsworthy when they aren't preseason #1.... They'll be good, but no way should they be preseason #1!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The actual reality is nobody gives a whiz about D2 basketball. The assistant to the intern likely makes this poll at S&S.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Don't they start every year at No. 1?

It will be interesting if the coaches vote them No. 1 in the MEC poll ahead of Fairmont State?
    WLU number 1 is frankly a surprise to me - given that All American Monteroso is gone. But they seem to surprise me every year after they lose an All American player - Falk, Harris, Bonefant, Monteroso. I am curious as to their rationale for the ranking. I could see top 10 pre-season, perhaps just based on reputation.
    But pre-season #1 and $3 will get you a starbucks so it does not mean much, other than to generate conversation.

There are so many teams one could argue could be Number 1, to name a few:
    Lincoln Memorial
    Queens
    Bellarmine
    Valdosta State (thanks to 2 ex hilltoppers)?
    And looming in the shadows.... Nova Southeastern.

Fairmont state always has great talent - I really like Jolly's game. But for many years, one could depend on Fairmont having 5-7 bonehead offensive possession every game, like "heat check" shots. They don't value every possession, which has hurt them against less athletic teams like WLU and WJU who have more disciplined players who actually listen to their coaches.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X