• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
    I saw where Street and Smith has WLU ranked #1 in their preseason rankings. Based on the end of last season, I really cannot understand that ranking. Y'all would know better than I, is that ranking defensible?
    Don't they start every year at No. 1?

It will be interesting if the coaches vote them No. 1 in the MEC poll ahead of Fairmont State?

Leave a comment:

• Knightmoves
    replied

I saw where Street and Smith has WLU ranked #1 in their preseason rankings. Based on the end of last season, I really cannot understand that ranking. Y'all would know better than I, is that ranking defensible?

Leave a comment:

• PSAC76
    replied

Seems like he will fit well into your system

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Saw him play in all star game in late march featuring best central ohio underclassmen.
    Thought he was the best big man on the floor.
    High motor, unselfish, great stroke on the 3, good ball skills and foot movement, aggressive rebounder.
    Actually tried to play team ball, which is rare in an all star game.
    Has body type of a tight end, so in a weight program he could really become a dominant physical inside force.
    Could be still growing.
    Has 4.3 GPA as a Junior so that definitely does not hurt.
    He is one of those guys who was under the radar but is improving rapidly with a very high upside.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Losing 5 seniors after this year. Starting the replenishment! Nice to start off with a 6" 7" guy.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

New commit http://verbalcommits.com/players/owen-hazelbaker

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Realistically, I don't think this will happen, but wouldn't it be amazing if WLU sent 3 waves of lineups at opponents, each playing intense pressure defense for 2-4 minutes? It would require tremendous parity among the players and of course would depend on the match ups. It would make it difficult for opponents to get comfortable with the skills and tendencies of the player guarding them. The physical and mental stress on opponents would be something to see, especially if they are not disciplined and their coach is not top-notch.

I am looking forward to next year when Boswell can play with Bolon. His game seems to be perfectly suited for the WLU style.
    As I recall, UNC did somthing like this "back in the day." They would play their "end of the bench" 5 as a unit for a 2 minute stretch with instructions to press, harass, try and jump every pass and play HARD D (including giving HARD fouls to the opposing team stars). Players gave maximum effort knowing that they didnt need to "save" anything because they weren't going back in!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    If you dress for all the games, but never get in can that count for a red shirt year? Because in the past the guys that WL were redshirting were always in street clothes on the bench.
    Technically, a redshirt player is allowed to suit up for the game. As long as they don't play, it does not affect the redshirt.
    Being in street clothes serves as a failsafe mechanism to keep a mistake from inadvertently allowing the redshirt in the game. In the case of a transfer, street clothes would definitely be in order, as a similar mistake would be akin to playing an ineligible player in the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

If you dress for all the games, but never get in can that count for a red shirt year? Because in the past the guys that WL were redshirting were always in street clothes on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Don't know if it is, but that sounds right.
    15 can dress for the game - no limit to people listed on roster. WJU used to have at least 20 on their roster.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_pe...asketball_team

There is no limit on the number of players on a team. The NCAA limits scholarships to 13, and 15 total can suit up for a game. Kentucky had 20 players on the team in Billy G's last year. Obviously five of those did not make the trip for away games or suit up for home games.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I don't know but I note that WJU shows 15 players on their stat page from last season.

It does feel a little odd for WLU to have so many players. Typically during the Crutch era we were typically at 12 and SOMETIMES at 13 if memory serves me correctly. 15 players is going to make practice crowded!!!
    Realistically, I don't think this will happen, but wouldn't it be amazing if WLU sent 3 waves of lineups at opponents, each playing intense pressure defense for 2-4 minutes? It would require tremendous parity among the players and of course would depend on the match ups. It would make it difficult for opponents to get comfortable with the skills and tendencies of the player guarding them. The physical and mental stress on opponents would be something to see, especially if they are not disciplined and their coach is not top-notch.

I am looking forward to next year when Boswell can play with Bolon. His game seems to be perfectly suited for the WLU style.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    D2 allows 10 full ride scholarships that can be split among > 10 players. D1 allows 13.
    In terms of players on bench max is 15 for both d1 and d2 according to link:
    https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketballinsincere carry but his game was not quite as developed imho. His team should have beaten Solon in the tourney as they led until deep into 4th quarter. Solon lost in d1 championship to team with 3 d1 players.

That is great. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    My understanding is the max roster is 15 players. I 'believe' the scholarship equivalency, however, is only 11 or 12 in D2 (D1 is 13) ... meaning you'd be 'fully funded' at that point and two players would be walk-ons.

I've read before while you can roster 15, you can only dress 12 players for a game.
    Don't know if it is, but that sounds right.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

My understanding is the max roster is 15 players. I 'believe' the scholarship equivalency, however, is only 11 or 12 in D2 (D1 is 13) ... meaning you'd be 'fully funded' at that point and two players would be walk-ons.

I've read before while you can roster 15, you can only dress 12 players for a game.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

They had 15 players in their team picture last year. However Ochoa left the team at the end of the first semester. That leaves 14 and Brady wasn't there and that gets you to 13 and Yoakum (sp) redshirted. That would be 12 dressed for games. Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X