X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Only in the MEC is giving up 105 points considered pressure defense ... lol.

Somewhere Dustin Sleva fell out of his chair reading these posts.

I agree that stuff works against the peasants when you can vastly out-talent them and keep shooting treys up 40 in the second half. It doesn't work nearly as well when a team can actually punch back.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Good info about Boswell.
    I think about defensive intensity differently with the WLU style than with a team who lets the air out of the ball in a physical half court game.
    I think winning margin is a better measure of defensive effectiveness than avg points scored by the opponents.

IMHO one of the objectives of the WLU style is to get more possessions than the opponent and wear them down physically and mentally which affects the opponent's offensive efficiency. They led the nation in turnover margin this year and I think their avg winning margin was 20 points, which are good measures of defensive effectiveness.

This approach requires very high energy, effort and ability to defend in the open court as a result of the trapping, full court press style. Guys have to sprint back hard when the press is broken. But one has to accept some easy layups and dunks.

Some examples of defensive intensity are the numerous times Brady Arnold ran down breakaways from behind and tapped the ball from behind, turning a layup into a turnover. I used to think "don't these opponents watch film? They should have their head on a swivel when they break the press because Brady will be zooming up their backside." Or Monterosa (and others) pressuring Tommy Bole from Concord and making him work very hard to get the ball.

Of course their defensive vulnerability is an unselfish team with a big man inside that requires a double team, coupled with a deadly outside shooter who makes them pay with the kick-out pass. If WLU gets one or two dominant big men who are fundamentally complete who can play their style and can defend inside 1-on-1, look out. Unfortunately, they are scarce at the D2 level.
    Great observation on defense...The intensity is building and keeping big leads. WLU does this by forcing turnovers and pushing opponents into poor shot selection. WLU often converts those into quick 3's then back to D were they again force a turnover or a missed shot. Far from what people typically talk about in a team that plays "pressure D" (final score 55 to 60). What I've notices about WLU's D is that it initially seems to be designed to wear an opponent out...constantly on the ball handler swatting at the ball and never giving him a moment to breath...constantly looking (or faking) to jump every pass to force the passer to think and be accurate...running at ball handlers from behind forcing them to play every possession at 100%...contesting every shot even if it is a flyer so the shooter is never taking a truly uncontested shot. Then, when the opponent sags a little from fatigue, WLU ramps their D up to the next level to get three consecutive turnovers/bad shot rebounds and turns a 5 point lead into a 14 point one in about 1 minute. Good teams can "gut check" their way through and stabilize the score at a 14 point deficit but rarely can they close the gap back down to 5; average and bad teams can't stabilize and the 14 point lead can bloom to a 20/25 point lead that is stopped only by the half time whistle.

Once WLU has established a 25 point or so lead, they basically start trading points for time pushing defensively only as hard as they need to to maintain their cushion...they push to get the opponent "on the rivets" so to speak but as long as they are maintaining their lead, they don't have to ramp the D up.

They use their D to build a big lead and then use their O to maintain it. They would much rather win a game 110-80 as opposed to winning one 60-50.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Bledsoe chose Glenville State...at least that's what I have been told as well as it being on Verbal Commits. Can't figure that one out but whatever.

Boswell has chosen to attend WL this fall. He will practice and travel with the team but will have to sit out this season. His freshman year at Jesuit he struggled defensively until the end of the season. However if you watched many of jesuit's game his soph year he made big improvements and was a very solid defender on a team that is known to be one of the best defensive teams. Of course he will have a year to adjust to and learn WLs defensive style. I think he will be fine on both ends of the court.

Anyway...I know WL will pressure and try to speed up the game but you act as if they were a lockdown defensive team. They routinely gave up quite a few points...or at least it seemed. Either way Boswell to WL is a good fit.
    Pure speculation but Ot Elmore is now assistant coach at Glenville after playing last year with Bledsoe. Maybe that was a factor.
    It may be unfounded but in looking at some video clips I wonder if his body type might be better suited to a slightly slower game than the Hilltoppers. But I certainly could be wrong about that as the film clips did not have many representative samples.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Bledsoe chose Glenville State...at least that's what I have been told as well as it being on Verbal Commits. Can't figure that one out but whatever.

Boswell has chosen to attend WL this fall. He will practice and travel with the team but will have to sit out this season. His freshman year at Jesuit he struggled defensively until the end of the season. However if you watched many of jesuit's game his soph year he made big improvements and was a very solid defender on a team that is known to be one of the best defensive teams. Of course he will have a year to adjust to and learn WLs defensive style. I think he will be fine on both ends of the court.

Anyway...I know WL will pressure and try to speed up the game but you act as if they were a lockdown defensive team. They routinely gave up quite a few points...or at least it seemed. Either way Boswell to WL is a good fit.
    Good info about Boswell.
    I think about defensive intensity differently with the WLU style than with a team who lets the air out of the ball in a physical half court game.
    I think winning margin is a better measure of defensive effectiveness than avg points scored by the opponents.

IMHO one of the objectives of the WLU style is to get more possessions than the opponent and wear them down physically and mentally which affects the opponent's offensive efficiency. They led the nation in turnover margin this year and I think their avg winning margin was 20 points, which are good measures of defensive effectiveness.

This approach requires very high energy, effort and ability to defend in the open court as a result of the trapping, full court press style. Guys have to sprint back hard when the press is broken. But one has to accept some easy layups and dunks.

Some examples of defensive intensity are the numerous times Brady Arnold ran down breakaways from behind and tapped the ball from behind, turning a layup into a turnover. I used to think "don't these opponents watch film? They should have their head on a swivel when they break the press because Brady will be zooming up their backside." Or Monterosa (and others) pressuring Tommy Bole from Concord and making him work very hard to get the ball.

Of course their defensive vulnerability is an unselfish team with a big man inside that requires a double team, coupled with a deadly outside shooter who makes them pay with the kick-out pass. If WLU gets one or two dominant big men who are fundamentally complete who can play their style and can defend inside 1-on-1, look out. Unfortunately, they are scarce at the D2 level.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Last edited by Dirtybird; 07-15-2018, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Let's bump this thread...it's been two weeks of inactivity...It's the dog days of July...No football yet, and not alot of basketball news...

What's the word on Boz from WJ?? Is he going to Cal or WL?

Will WL win the regular season title again this year? Hard not to pick them...WJ is decimated....Fairmont will be good...Jolly is back... Concord has a stud...
    Imho it is the teamwork, fundamentals. pressure and synergy that makes Wlu the favorite- the team is > than the sum of individual parts. I think all 3 new recruits will contribute. Have seen hill and alessandro in person. They have high basketball iqs and are very sound. Hill may be able to hang with jolly. He is very quick.
    Anyone heard where Phil Bledsoe is going who transferred from Marshall?

I think the Wlu style is a better fit for Boswell if he can step up his defensive intensity.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Let's bump this thread...it's been two weeks of inactivity...It's the dog days of July...No football yet, and not alot of basketball news...

What's the word on Boz from WJ?? Is he going to Cal or WL?

Will WL win the regular season title again this year? Hard not to pick them...WJ is decimated....Fairmont will be good...Jolly is back... Concord has a stud...

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Howlett announced a couple new signings. Good-looking PG from Cleveland and a Division I transfer "big" with 3 years left. Says he's still looking for "a couple more pieces."

Link: http://www.hilltoppersports.com/news...to-reload.aspx
    I have been waiting for the official LOI announcement. That is a relief. Yahel Hill is a great player who could make us forget about the situation inSincere Carry (oops did I leave out a space? LOL).

Before the season he was in the conversation for Mr. Basketball in Ohio. His team had other great players (like one guy who is going to OSU for football). He was unselfish and has great vision. Deadly from 3 and slashing inside. Can dunk - may have more hops that Carry. Intelligent student.

Greely on paper reminds me to Grossenbacher. Good 3 pt shooter, high motor.

They both are very sound fundamentally in all areas and possess a strong will to win, which is a prerequisite for WLU.

I would not be surprised that with few remaining openings, WLU is going to "select" rather than "recruit". Wishy washy recruits or those who don't ace the audition might get left at the station.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Those two have been known for a long time.

What's the deal with Lock Haven transfer Taraojae Brake? Word was he's down to WL and Le Moyne.

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Howlett announced a couple new signings. Good-looking PG from Cleveland and a Division I transfer "big" with 3 years left. Says he's still looking for "a couple more pieces."

Link: http://www.hilltoppersports.com/news...to-reload.aspx

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

how i wish we would consider it just an extra curricular activity !
    "Sorry coach i can't make the game tonight. I have a big exam tomorrow that I need to ace to get into med school. "
    "That's ok son. It's just an extra curricular activity and I am just a volunteer coach". lol
    25% of players in Europe are d2 so for very good players (top 1 or 2%) it can be a profession. Right now d1 acts as a minor league for NFL and nba.

I was talking to a d2 football coach.
    "At d2 you probably have recruits that are more academically focused and who harbor no illusions of being a Prima Donna athlete."

He laughed and said. "Quite the contrary. They still think they are going to nfl"
    Wow. Big surprise.
    Media does a fantastic job of hyping every former D1 walk-on or small school DII player that "Stuck to their dream no matter what the experts told them" and got drafted into the NFL. It's a great story..."NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!!" D1 and DII coaches preach it too - "Yea Johnny, I know you are the second team scout team RB but if you just keep coming to practice, giving 110% and show true dedication in the off season, you've got NFL written all over you!" Unfortunately, for 99.999999% of the D1 walk-ons and DII players, it is an absolute lie. They would have a batter chance of winning the Powerball three times in a row.

I'd call playing professionally in Europe more of a job than a career. They are seeing interesting places and are playing a game they love but they aren't really making much above subsistence level money. It would probably be a better career move for most of them to give up basketball immediately after college and move on into the job market. But hey, I had a few dead end j o b jobs when I was first out of school so it's not terminal to their careers so why not. As a minimum it will probably give them some interesting stories to tell their kids in 15 years!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

how i wish we would consider it just an extra curricular activity !
    "Sorry coach i can't make the game tonight. I have a big exam tomorrow that I need to ace to get into med school. "
    "That's ok son. It's just an extra curricular activity and I am just a volunteer coach". lol
    25% of players in Europe are d2 so for very good players (top 1 or 2%) it can be a profession. Right now d1 acts as a minor league for NFL and nba.

I was talking to a d2 football coach.
    "At d2 you probably have recruits that are more academically focused and who harbor no illusions of being a Prima Donna athlete."

He laughed and said. "Quite the contrary. They still think they are going to nfl"
    Wow. Big surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Lol .. that was an answer.

Let some Michigan star transfer to Ohio State. See how that goes down.

I think him picking WL is hilarious. Ultimate middle finger to WJ.
    Justin boren transferred from Michigan to Ohio state when Carr was fired.
    I think fans take this stuff much more seriously than players. They respect each other and often play in off season.
    Last year Boswell honored Brady arnold on his shoes.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Good point. In this case no grant $ moved and no non compete clause was involved ( btw which are often hard to enforce if challenged in private sector if it precludes someone from using their skills to make a living).
    Yea...But college basketball players are not making a living, they are playing an extra curricular activity.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Depends on what the Prof and your friend were working on that they might have taken to Vandy. If they took grant money with them to Vandy, that is at the least bad form.
    Good point. In this case no grant $ moved and no non compete clause was involved ( btw which are often hard to enforce if challenged in private sector if it precludes someone from using their skills to make a living).

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X