X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layton
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Was not expecting Lamberti but great hire! I always liked him as a player.

Good guess about Ervin Boat ;)

I was told Belein will be going D1 after next season and is planning to take Ervin with him.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Yep...And he spent his first two years in coaching as a Grad Assistant at Lemoyne under Beilein.
    Good career move. beilein is on short list for d1 head coach jobs. They often take assistants with them. Or he might succeed him at lemoyne.
    After brett came to wlu i noticed that we were much faster on getting the pass out after a defensive rebound and post footwork improved.

I am very impressed with lamberti. High academic iq and basketball iq.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    A little digging, Brett Ervin played his senior year at WVW under Beilein, so there is big time familiarity Beliein is head coach at LeMoyne...Can't blame him for the move, really
    Yep...And he spent his first two years in coaching as a Grad Assistant at Lemoyne under Beilein.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I heard the "other opportunities" is as a full assistant back at Lemoyne.
    A little digging, Brett Ervin played his senior year at WVW under Beilein, so there is big time familiarity Beliein is head coach at LeMoyne...Can't blame him for the move, really

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

I had no problem with Ervin...thought he was a good Asst Coach...But I have NO PROBLEM at all with bringing back a high character, good intangibles player, who played on a stud team every year and knows the hilltopper way in Lamberti!

I'd say this is a plus!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Mike Lamberti replaces Brett Ervin as Assistant Coach at WLU. He spent the last two years as a coach at Embry-Riddle. Story at hilltoppersports.com.
    Brett leaving to "pursue other career opportunities".
    I heard the "other opportunities" is as a full assistant back at Lemoyne.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Mike Lamberti replaces Brett Ervin as Assistant Coach at WLU. He spent the last two years as a coach at Embry-Riddle. Story at hilltoppersports.com.
    Brett leaving to "pursue other career opportunities".

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Layton, is this announcement more of a good announcement or a negative announcement for the Hilltoppers/?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Hardy was a giant loss. He's a player.
    It doesn't seem like it's going to be as quick a "rebuild" as we thought it would be. Nova has a whole lot of good going for it but the local player pool, while deep, is not really made up of Crutch-type players (HIGH energy, run all game, unselfish and able to take and drain threes from almost anywhere). Sure, you can find a few, but not nearly as many of them as in OH/WV/Western PA. Going to take a few years to build up sufficient Crutch-type players to completely turn the program around. I'd look for a carbon copy of last year this coming season (in the 17 to 20 win range) with their only road to the NCAA Tourney being winning their conference tourney.

Long run, I think Crutch makes them a perennial conf champ/NCAA Tourney team but it is going to take a little while.

But given were Nova came from, the 17-11 record this last season was a HUGE turn around and already ranks as one of Nova's best in their NCAA history.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Hardy was a giant loss. He's a player.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Speaking of Crutch...What is going on with Nova's recruiting? Speculation when he took the job down there was that he would continue to pull quality players from Ohio AND would be able to pull quality players from the rich South FL recruiting grounds. It's getting VERY late in the recruiting season and according to Verbal Commits, Nova has signed one player from FL (Kaine McColley), none from Ohio, an NAIA transfer and two player from Europe (Norway and Denmark) while losing their #2 scorer (Hardy) and their "sixth man" (Stampley) (Both from Crutch's first recruiting class last year). We'll see how things go but it doesn't seem like, at least from a recruiting standpoint, it is going to be as easy as some thought it would be.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Good news. Boat had a 20' bronze statue made of Crutch.
    Hahahaha!! FIFTY foot if you count the part were Crutch standing on Joe's ego!!!!

Here's a little off season viewing for you. Not often that the school that a coach leaves puts out a video about what he meant to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDrQcknbAEU
    Last edited by boatcapt; 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Layton, is this announcement more of a good announcement or a negative announcement for the Hilltoppers/?
    Good news. Boat had a 20' bronze statue made of Crutch.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Announcement coming Monday

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Announcement coming Monday

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X