Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McBride out at Calu

After two sub 500 seasons McBride resigns at Calu .

Re: McBride out at Calu

I heard the same thing about 20 minutes ago.

Comment

Wow.

Off to Wheeling? Fired or resigned?

Two years isn't enough time to rebuild the mess Brown left.

Comment

According to twitter post , looks like he is making it for family reasons. Will be interesting if he coaches this year.

Comment

Comment

Jim Boone wanted the job 2 years ago , but was shrugged off by the current administration.

Looks like a bad move now!

Comment

Former Blackhawk (and North Carolina) star Dante Calabria was a finalist if I recall.

The time of the year obviously sucks but Cal is a good job. It will get a lot of interest.

Hate to see coaches leave at the end of May. People say recruits sign with the school and not the coach but I think to a large extent that's a load of crap.

The only player I know he had officially signed was that PG transfer from Wheeling Jesuit (from Woodland Hills).

Boone would be interesting. He won big there (a long time ago). On one hand I can see why they passed. On the other ... he'd be very unlikely to jump ship again.

Outside the box name: former Pitt star, IUP assistant and current staffer at Robert Morris ... Tray Woodall.

Comment

Originally posted by CALU_Crazies View Post
                According to twitter post , looks like he is making it for family reasons. Will be interesting if he coaches this year.
                Followed COACH MCBRIDE and his wife on Twitter. She never really made the transition from CONCORD and I can't recall her tweeting anything about CALU. I still feel it was a good choice and believe he could have turned the program around but in all things, family comes first. Hope it's not too much of a setback.
                Just read his tweet and it sounds almost like he's leaving coaching. Main reason he gives is in fact his wife and family. We'll never know but he sounds like this isn't really what he would have preferred doing.
                Last edited by CALUPA69; 05-30-2018, 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Former Blackhawk (and North Carolina) star Dante Calabria was a finalist if I recall.

The time of the year obviously sucks but Cal is a good job. It will get a lot of interest.
                  Calabria is at IMG, right? Would that be a good move, financially or career-wise, to move from IMG to CALU? My guess is that IMG pays well, and they attract the best talent from around the world with their reputation, and no NCAA oversight (as in, I was dismissed because my paperwork was incorrect from 4 years ago).

Comment

former psac'er kurt kanaskie or is he enjoying being a assistant too much?

Boone is good call...

And again, what about SRU's favorite, Reynolds?

What about Sancomb from WJ? Or is he too much of a question mark?

Comment

I thought of Sancomb immediately. Heck Cal to Wheeling is close enough he may not even have to move.

Lot of retreads being mentioned. Let's toss Gary Edwards, too. Get the old band back together. Lol.

Maybe if KR can bring Micah Till with him ....
                      He'll get some buzz but he didn't apply two years ago.

The interesting item is can they lure a sitting head coach in June? If not ... then retread alley starts to look much better. Sancomb may be a little too hot right now but, wow, that would be a big 'get' if they could land him.

They'll get a lot of applicants ... perhaps some D1 assistant-types.

Comment

Wow. I wonder what his plans are.

I don't know much about Kent as a student. His brother Kevyn was a star at Alderson Broaddus and was NCAA D2 Academic Player of the Year as a Mathematics major. He had all A's in every class but one....a 88. I know he went on to get his doctorate in mathematical engineering. If Kent has the smarts like his brother, maybe he feels he can make more money in the private sector. He seemed to really enjoy coaching though.

A little surprised to read here that Cal turned Boone down. I went to his coaching clinics back when he was up there the first time. I know he was a big name up there and did some great things. He does bounce around a lot though.
                        Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

McBride was making just under $95k at Cal. Reynolds is just over $105k at Slippery Rock. It would take even more money for Reynolds to leave and I doubt Cal pays even $105k for their next coach.

Comment

Interesting. Recall SRU is purely a football school. What KR accomplishes there is really amazing. That program is the red-headed stepchild on campus. No support. Little money. No following.

Of course, Cal used to dump tons in to men's basketball. Not sure that's the case any longer.

Support-wise ... I've been in the Angelo Dome 4-5 times. Those 4-5 men's games combined didn't draw 800 people. Two of them were basically IUP home games.

KR went hard after the IUP job when Bravado got hired. He was closer to getting it than many IUP fans want to believe (by that, he was a finalist).

While KR gets little love at SRU ... He also gets left alone. His theatrics wouldn't fly everywhere nor would his recruiting style. Combine the two and he's a good fit at SRU.

If I was Cal ... and he just wanted a raise ... I'd find a way to get him $120,000. Even then I'm not sure he'd leave.

Like him or hate him ... he's a good coach. I often wonder what some of the big name PSAC coaches could do if they had his financial restraints. He finds a way. Year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Interesting. Recall SRU is purely a football school. What KR accomplishes there is really amazing. That program is the red-headed stepchild on campus. No support. Little money. No following.

Of course, Cal used to dump tons in to men's basketball. Not sure that's the case any longer.

Support-wise ... I've been in the Angelo Dome 4-5 times. Those 4-5 men's games combined didn't draw 800 people. Two of them were basically IUP home games.

KR went hard after the IUP job when Bravado got hired. He was closer to getting it than many IUP fans want to believe (by that, he was a finalist).

While KR gets little love at SRU ... He also gets left alone. His theatrics wouldn't fly everywhere nor would his recruiting style. Combine the two and he's a good fit at SRU.

If I was Cal ... and he just wanted a raise ... I'd find a way to get him $120,000. Even then I'm not sure he'd leave.

Like him or hate him ... he's a good coach. I often wonder what some of the big name PSAC coaches could do if they had his financial restraints. He finds a way. Year after year.
                              Agree with all of that....right on point.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X