Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McBride out at Calu

I'll be very interested in seeing the effect of this hire on both returning VULCANS and potential transfers. Certainly it stops the immediate bleeding and could be a real shot in the arm going forward. And as someone noted on another thread, the commute is around 1 hour from WHEELING to CAL. HAPPY ALL AROUND !!!

Comment

Same month ... added best MEC football team and best men's coach. Incredible timing.
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-15-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Jeremiah Wilson is still available.

Sancomb gets him, Pegram and Boswell .... he's in business quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Aside from those three WJU roster players, you also have COLLIN MACADAMS 6'5" F from CB WEST who is still listed as a verbal commit and KENNY LEE 5'9" PG from WOODLAND HILLS via WJU, not really a transfer because he never played for the CARDINALS. Hopefully SANCOMB can hit the ground running and stabilize the situation.

Comment

I have only have one thing to say about this hire: YIPPEE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You will definitely see Boswell go to Cal now as he can play right away there...Pegram would have to get his transfer clearance...not sure Wilson would be able to make the switch being back in Chicago right now.

Comment

What's being home in Chicago have to do with it? He's from there. It's a 45 minute flight from O'Hare to Pittsburgh.

Comment

This is a homerun hire. However, I have heard that there might be more to some of these violations and that they might be more serious than what was portrayed. With Cal U's recent scandals, I am a little surprised that he is the choice. But he was definitely the best coach available and makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
                    This is a homerun hire. However, I have heard that there might be more to some of these violations and that they might be more serious than what was portrayed. With Cal U's recent scandals, I am a little surprised that he is the choice. But he was definitely the best coach available and makes a lot of sense.
                    In the end, Cal will be more than good to go with this hiring.
                    Last edited by pennbraz; 06-17-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

At the same time, I would expect that Cal did their due diligence in determining the causes behind Sancomb's departure from Wheeling Jesuit, especially since this is a state-owned university we're talking about here. My gut feeling is that if the violations were serious enough to warrant significant sanctions against WJU, then Cal wouldn't have made the decision to hire Sancomb. There's a lot that goes into the hiring process, especially at a publicly funded school, that the public is not privy to due to state and federal privacy regulations, not to mention, in the case of a PASSHE school, collective bargaining agreements (in fact, if I read things correctly, personnel decisions are specifically bexcluded from Pennsylvania's open records laws, under which Cal would be subjected to as a state-owned school). That could tend to lead a reasonable person to presume that the violations alleged at Wheeling Jesuit are/were not sufficient enough to warrant a show cause order to be issued by the NCAA against Sancomb at this stage.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                        At the same time, I would expect that Cal did their due diligence in determining the causes behind Sancomb's departure from Wheeling Jesuit, especially since this is a state-owned university we're talking about here. My gut feeling is that if the violations were serious enough to warrant significant sanctions against WJU, then Cal wouldn't have made the decision to hire Sancomb. There's a lot that goes into the hiring process, especially at a publicly funded school, that the public is not privy to due to state and federal privacy regulations, not to mention, in the case of a PASSHE school, collective bargaining agreements (in fact, if I read things correctly, personnel decisions are specifically bexcluded from Pennsylvania's open records laws, under which Cal would be subjected to as a state-owned school). That could tend to lead a reasonable person to presume that the violations alleged at Wheeling Jesuit are/were not sufficient enough to warrant a show cause order to be issued by the NCAA against Sancomb at this stage.
                        Show Cause actions against coaches is a VERY high bar! Coach has to basically be screwing the pooch in a meaningful, sustained and malicious way. I don't think anyone is even alleging that Sancomb did anything to warrant that! Buuuuttttt...There is a lot of ground between "did nothing" and Show Cause and for Coaches in that mushy middle, the penalties they would have had to endured had they stayed at their former school do not follow them to their new job.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                          You'd sure hope they did their due diligence. I imagine that if new information came to light they would be within their rights to fire him.

Comment

My point is that he is a high risk/high reward hire at this point. No doubt he's a homerun hire, but with how slowly things pan out through legalities, I think that there is a very small chance there was enough time to do their "due diligence". If he's found to have done something significant, this could be the AD and the President on the hot seat with all of the recent scandals for Cal U. I am not sure that adding another one is in their best interest. It is a gamble for them

Comment

My point is that he is a high risk/high reward hire at this point. No doubt he's a homerun hire, but with how slowly things pan out through legalities, I think that there is a very small chance there was enough time to do their "due diligence". If he's found to have done something significant, this could be the AD and the President on the hot seat with all of the recent scandals for Cal U. I am not sure that adding another one is in their best interest. It is a gamble for them
                              This administration is not involved in any scandals that were not generated by the previous President's lassez faire policies regarding athletics. Please remember this President is the one who forfeited a football game as punishment for the outrageous behavior of several players. The only real "scandal" of her term has been the gutting of the athletic budget in an effort to balance the university's books. Until shown otherwise I'll trust that all concerned have done all they should have.

Comment

No doubt. Sancomb is completely worth the risk. You'd assume Cal put in the contract language that if something not known at the time of hiring emerges ... then that's that.

Just remember this isn't going to happen overnight. Cal lost a lot of decent players to graduation.

Howze is a very strong building block. I don't think he was 'all in' at times last year. He'd look great some games and kind of vanish in others. Sancomb will elevate his game. He's an all-conference talent. Philip Alexander has big-time potential. He showed some flashes last year. If Andjusic stays (provided he gets the medical redshirt) ... he's decent.

So, Sancomb has a very strong forward and a solid guard to start with ... that's more than most new coaches inherit.

Now, if he brings a couple of the WJ guys with him ... namely Boswell and (former WJ) Jeremiah Wilson ... things change real fast. It could go from a rebuilding year to a competing year.

Amazingly, there's still a ton of players out there. That said, some of the players still out there on June 19 are still out there for a reason -- and it has nothing to do with their basketball talent.

High school-wise, ... this year is shot. But, he can still snag some big-time transfers.

Also, don't underestimate the fact you could see some new MEC transfers emerge who want to play for him.

Hopefully his hiring puts a spark back in that long-sleeping Cal fan base and the Angelo Dome can get more than 175 people in there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X