Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    To be truthful, Sancomb was an assistant briefly at Wheeling before becoming the head boys coach at St Mary's Ryken HS over here in Maryland. Before taking over WJ, he didn't have the greatest profile but turned out to be good.
    Difference was, if I'm correct, that he became an assistant to an established HC in a settled situation. In both of these jobs it would be a great help if the assistant knew the league and had regional connections with coaches whose players may be available. In SANCOMB'S case I might even suggest a call to TONY MOROCCO, the recently retired long time HC at SETON HILL to see if he's be interested in a short term gig while DS gets his program up and running. He actually knows both the PSAC and the WVIAC/MEC having been in charge in GREENSBURG for 15 years. Who knows, having coached against each other for some years they may have the familiarity to make it work. Strictly until a younger assistant can be brought on board.

Comment

Tark the Shark would be interesting but he never recruited all that well at Seton Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Difference was, if I'm correct, that he became an assistant to an established HC in a settled situation. In both of these jobs it would be a great help if the assistant knew the league and had regional connections with coaches whose players may be available. In SANCOMB'S case I might even suggest a call to TONY MOROCCO, the recently retired long time HC at SETON HILL to see if he's be interested in a short term gig while DS gets his program up and running. He actually knows both the PSAC and the WVIAC/MEC having been in charge in GREENSBURG for 15 years. Who knows, having coached against each other for some years they may have the familiarity to make it work. Strictly until a younger assistant can be brought on board.
        Danny Sancomb and 76 year-old Tony Morocco are from two different eras and would most likely be like oil and water. Danny Sancomb won the MEC with the help of graduate assistants and without a full time assistant. He sure doesn't need Morocco's help to get his program at Cal up and running. He needs to hire a hard working, young assistant who will get after it. I'm sure he will find one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
          Danny Sancomb and 76 year-old Tony Morocco are from two different eras and would most likely be like oil and water. Danny Sancomb won the MEC with the help of graduate assistants and without a full time assistant. He sure doesn't need Morocco's help to get his program at Cal up and running. He needs to hire a hard working, young assistant who will get after it. I'm sure he will find one soon.
          So grad assistant DRAKE GODDARD or PAT MOSEH ???

Comment

You know it's officially July when grad assistants are being discussed. Lol.

Almost football time ...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              You know it's officially July when grad assistants are being discussed. Lol.

Almost football time ...
              So which should I follow on the FB side....MEC EXPANDING TO 16 or IUP SPRING GAME ???? I'll take grad asst chatter.

Comment

So grad assistant DRAKE GODDARD or PAT MOSEH ???
                I do believe that former Cal U coach Kent McBride had a full time assistant (who left before McBride announced his resignation to become the head coach at Glenville). The women's team has a full time assistant. So I would expect Sancomb to hire a full-time assistant and get a grad assistant. Those usually tend to be former players who want to get into coaching so perhaps Goddard or Moseh, sure.

Comment

PSAC all has (at least) one full-time assistant.

Typically a stepping stone job as the pay stinks but that's the profession. Baby steps.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    PSAC all has (at least) one full-time assistant.

Typically a stepping stone job as the pay stinks but that's the profession. Baby steps.
                    I suspect the reason that DS worked with grad assts had to do with budget constraints. Looking back on VULCAN MBB and WBB there has always been at least a actual assistant coach, on occasion two, and a wide variety of grad assts and volunteer coaches.

Comment

I suspect the reason that DS worked with grad assts had to do with budget constraints. Looking back on VULCAN MBB and WBB there has always been at least a actual assistant coach, on occasion two, and a wide variety of grad assts and volunteer coaches.
                      Sancomb had an assistant coach at WJ. Cat named Ryan Kostur. Wonder if he will follow Sancomb to Cal??

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Sancomb had an assistant coach at WJ. Cat named Ryan Kostur. Wonder if he will follow Sancomb to Cal??
                        Sancomb had an assistant until last year -- Wukasch, who went to Fairmont...Kostur has always been just a volunteer assistant and may continue in the role at Cal with him.

Comment

Per @VerbalCommitsD2 Reading, Ohio PF BRYCE HUNT 6'7" 217lbs has an offer from WJU. Doesn't say if this was in the works previously or is a new connection. But it's a start.

Comment

First player to officially sign on under the Peckenpaugh era at WJU is.....

Wait for it.....

DeAndre Robinson, 6'5", 200 pound swing from Monroe HS AL via the Combine Academy. Robinson appears to have signed with D1 Alabama A&M out of HS (2017) but ended up going to Combine. According to the ALWAYS accurate inter-web, he had several D1 offers from some mid-majors in the SE in addition to Alabama A&M. Here's his link:

High School: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8959825...bb791b8821d4fa
                            Combine Academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_IlcqBZZAg

Comment

Question, does anyone know if WJU released Stephen Cannady from the LOI he signed in November? I couldn't find any information that would indicate he has renewed his recruiting or that he has signed with any other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                Question, does anyone know if WJU released Stephen Cannady from the LOI he signed in November? I couldn't find any information that would indicate he has renewed his recruiting or that he has signed with any other teams.
                                Other than retweeting a lot of #standwithdanny sentiment, he hasn't given any indication that he's had a change of heart.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X