• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

https://hoopdirt.com/official-peckin...ll-head-coach/

Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

More from Wheeling Jesuit:

https://wjucardinals.com/news/2018/6...ead-coach.aspx

Say what you want, but it seems like a really good find.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
      More from Wheeling Jesuit:

https://wjucardinals.com/news/2018/6...ead-coach.aspx

Say what you want, but it seems like a really good find.
      What I'd say is it seems like a reasonable choice given the very tough circumstances. A bit young but moving up quickly. As per previous discussion PFW uses the PREP SCHOOL/ TRANSFER route a lot in making up their team. Last year's roster featured 3 HS, 6PS and 5 TRFRS. He definitely will be tested as a coach but almost more as a recruiter. Can't say how the administration will take to the hired gun school of recruiting.
      May be just me but two things stuck out in the press release. Talking about the recent success of WJU MBB with no mention of the coach was odd. I think it would have been smoother to talk about the future only. And the multiple endorsements felt like you just signed a COACH K equivalent rather than a young, reasonably successful fill-in. A bit of overkill.
      It will be interesting to see how CARDINALS MBB is able to adapt.

Comment

It will be even more interesting if Danny's legion of followers stick with the team. The way WJ has gone silent on Danny ... I'm sure has really thrilled his supporters.

I don't put too much stock in teams taking transfers. That's the norm now.

A D2 coach told me personally he doesn't even look at high school players anymore. Too many diva types and the parents all think their kid is Steph Curry.

As for the young man they just hired ... tough spot, for sure.

He's replacing a tremendously popular coach. His only two returning studs allegedly are already gone. It's not going to happen overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          What I'd say is it seems like a reasonable choice given the very tough circumstances. A bit young but moving up quickly. As per previous discussion PFW uses the PREP SCHOOL/ TRANSFER route a lot in making up their team. Last year's roster featured 3 HS, 6PS and 5 TRFRS. He definitely will be tested as a coach but almost more as a recruiter. Can't say how the administration will take to the hired gun school of recruiting.
          May be just me but two things stuck out in the press release. Talking about the recent success of WJU MBB with no mention of the coach was odd. I think it would have been smoother to talk about the future only. And the multiple endorsements felt like you just signed a COACH K equivalent rather than a young, reasonably successful fill-in. A bit of overkill.
          Oh I don't know that the endorsements are any more over the top than to having two high profile former WJ players and a "coach" in the front row at your new coaches press conference...all dressed in shinny new Cal gear!

I would have been shocked if WJ said anything about Sancomb in the press release for their new coach. I mean, they fired him for what they feel are NCAA violations. And what are they going to say? We think Danny was great, he is the only reason we were good last year and really wish he was still here but he's not so we got this new guy.

Comment

They should serve chicken and pasta at his intro dinner. I think they have an account set up to cover the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              It will be even more interesting if Danny's legion of followers stick with the team. The way WJ has gone silent on Danny ... I'm sure has really thrilled his supporters.

A D2 coach told me personally he doesn't even look at high school players anymore. Too many diva types and the parents all think their kid is Steph Curry.

He's replacing a tremendously popular coach. His only two returning studs allegedly are already gone. It's not going to happen overnight.
              As my grandma used to say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. WJ fired Sancomb for what they feel was violations of NCAA rules. These violations, if true, reflect poorly on WJ and possibly open them up to further penalties beyond their firing of Sancomb.

I think this is about the only thing WJ can do. Turn the page and move on. They are never going to be able to convince the Sancomb supporters that he did anything wrong so there is no point trying. Every day the school picks at the scab is a day longer until the fans come back.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I only mentioned the currently popular methods of recruiting because looking back at the previous rosters there are almost no transfers or prep schools listed. A great many religious schools and academies seem to predominate since until about 2 months ago this was a hallmark of SANCOMB coached teams which the PR staff in Wheeling were only too pleased to crow about. Public schools like PFW and most of the PSAC schools certainly don't operate to that standard. The change may or may not happen but I think both COACH PECKINPAUGH and the WJU administration may be in for some degree of culture shock.

Comment

If anything it should help attendance up on the hill top.

Comment

I only mentioned the currently popular methods of recruiting because looking back at the previous rosters there are almost no transfers or prep schools listed. A great many religious schools and academies seem to predominate since until about 2 months ago this was a hallmark of SANCOMB coached teams which the PR staff in Wheeling were only too pleased to crow about. Public schools like PFW and most of the PSAC schools certainly don't operate to that standard. The change may or may not happen but I think both COACH PECKINPAUGH and the WJU administration may be in for some degree of culture shock.
                    The question I have is is Sancomb willing to change and bring in a ton of transfers THIS year? Even if he is, will he know how to "plug into" this process? As you said, it runs counter to the WJU culture which is the same culture Sancomb has lived for over 10 years as the head basketball coach and Athletic Director.

At his core, Sancomb wants to bring in HS players and mold them into what he want's them to be over the next 4-5 years. Transfers are a completely different animal. 99% of the time they come fully formed and their new coach has little opportunity to mold them. Coach has to be willing to take them warts and all and figure out how best to use each one differently. Not every coach can do that.

I think both places are effectively being forced into bring in a bunch of transfers this coming year. Question is who is the most capable of doing this and will it be a long term shift in culture that lasts years or will it be a one or two year aberration before each (The school "culture" at WJ...The HC's "personal DNA" at Cal) goes back to their old ways.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      As my grandma used to say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. WJ fired Sancomb for what they feel was violations of NCAA rules. These violations, if true, reflect poorly on WJ and possibly open them up to further penalties beyond their firing of Sancomb.

I think this is about the only thing WJ can do. Turn the page and move on. They are never going to be able to convince the Sancomb supporters that he did anything wrong so there is no point trying. Every day the school picks at the scab is a day longer until the fans come back.
                      Is this confirmed? I was told a story - totally unsubstantiated - that wasn't an NCAA violation. Sure we know there are NCAA violations but are they related? Sometimes the process for one thing uncovers other things. I'm just trying to figure out a scenario where both stories are true because I can't imagine Cal would hire him so quickly if NCAA violations were the reason for his firing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        Is this confirmed? I was told a story - totally unsubstantiated - that wasn't an NCAA violation. Sure we know there are NCAA violations but are they related? Sometimes the process for one thing uncovers other things. I'm just trying to figure out a scenario where both stories are true because I can't imagine Cal would hire him so quickly if NCAA violations were the reason for his firing.
                        Not confirmed, just going off of statements (from WJ and Sancomb's lawyer), reporting and time frame. Could be that the alleged NCAA violations and Sancomb's firing are not related but that seems unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          The question I have is is Sancomb willing to change and bring in a ton of transfers THIS year? Even if he is, will he know how to "plug into" this process? As you said, it runs counter to the WJU culture which is the same culture Sancomb has lived for over 10 years as the head basketball coach and Athletic Director.

At his core, Sancomb wants to bring in HS players and mold them into what he want's them to be over the next 4-5 years. Transfers are a completely different animal. 99% of the time they come fully formed and their new coach has little opportunity to mold them. Coach has to be willing to take them warts and all and figure out how best to use each one differently. Not every coach can do that.

I think both places are effectively being forced into bring in a bunch of transfers this coming year. Question is who is the most capable of doing this and will it be a long term shift in culture that lasts years or will it be a one or two year aberration before each (The school "culture" at WJ...The HC's "personal DNA" at Cal) goes back to their old ways.
                          As much as Pres. Jones would like it, my bet is that DS changes his mindset and recognises that public colleges, even reasonably popular and successful ones, don't have the same connection to a complete group of high schools that Catholic colleges do. When parents spend thousands of dollars on a Gr 1-12 Catholic education it follows that they may want their students to continue on that course in college. He took advantage of that connection during his tenure at WJU. That no longer exists. As far as I can tell he needs a little over 95 minutes of playing time to fill based on the average minutes per game of his six returnees. If COLLIN MACADAMS sticks with his commitment that leaves probably 3-5 more players for a minimal team. Waiting for announcements.

Comment

Actually as I thought about this more it seems both coaches really need a top notch assistant almost as much as they need players. Someone with a lot of experience as as assistant but preferably someone with HC experience. Connection to statewide and regional HS coaches and conferences would be a major boost to both of these men in their entirely new situations.

Comment

To be truthful, Sancomb was an assistant briefly at Wheeling before becoming the head boys coach at St Mary's Ryken HS over here in Maryland. Before taking over WJ, he didn't have the greatest profile but turned out to be good.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X