Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peckenpaugh v. Sancomb?

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    WJU's basketball roster has swelled to 23 strong!!! That's almost two complete teams with second teams, 6th men and end of bench role players. Practices must be insane! Don't know who amongst them can play, but Coach P does have a LOT to chose from!!!
    Must be a lot of walk-ons listed. Can't figure why a solid second team player would get involved in this cattle call and get lost in the shuffle. Hmmmm??

Comment

They've always done that there. Look at past team photos.

You have the Top 12 players and then a glorified intramural practice team.

Comment

I think it is just a way to get kids to come to school there. They say we would like you to walk on and then they see there is no way they are gonna play...many don't even finish the 1st semester on the "team". Then the next year there are 10 new hopeful walk ons.

Comment

Yep...Did the same thing during the Sancomb years. 20+ on the "team" with only 12 or so having any chance of ever seeing the floor during an actual game. The other 11+ are the DII basketball equivalent of a D1 football scout team...Only there to give the "real" players someone to beat on in practice!

I would say that this year might be different with so few returning players and a new HC. One or two of these late additions could work his way through the masses and perhaps earn a position on the bench for the real team!

Comment

So now that we have the 2018-19 rosters for both teams officially posted, who has the better team this year and who finishes with the best record? I mean, certain posters have said that the PSAC West is weak this coming season so that should bode well for Cal's W/L record right? Buuuutttt...to counter, some have opined that the MEC will be down this year so presumably, that would result in more W's for WJU right?

My prediction:

Cal PA 11 wins 17 losses (.393)
            WJU 13 wins 13 losses (.500)
            CALU prediction still possible if unlikely. They need to go 9-11 in the last 20.
            WJU prediction is nearly impossible. They need to go 14-4 to reach .500 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              CALU prediction still possible if unlikely. They need to go 9-11 in the last 20.
              WJU prediction is nearly impossible. They need to go 14-4 to reach .500 this year.
              Yep...Looks like I over estimated the ability of both coaches to recruit late in the year!!!

Comment

Danny had some bad luck, too. Phillip Alexander could have been an all-league player. That was a terrible (injury) loss.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Danny had some bad luck, too. Phillip Alexander could have been an all-league player. That was a terrible (injury) loss.
                  Looking at how both teams are playing, not surprised at all by the records. Not a nock on either coach, it's just that their teams are sooooo thin! In WJU's case, while there are 8 players averaging double digit minutes, four of their freshman starters are averaging over 30 minutes per game. For freshman, they are playing OK but it's got to be hard when your on-floor "leader" is a sophomore.

Meaningless stat comparison between the two teams...WJU is averaging 78 PPG while Cal is averaging 66. Defensively WJU is giving up 89 PPG while Cal is giving up 77.

I think both coaches has a small group of core players that they can build around and if they can recruit the next couple of years, they could turn things around. But this year is going to be a looonnnggg drag for both schools.

Comment

WJU got their first W of the PECKINPAUGH era tonight in Wheeling 90-56 over PENN STATE-SHENANGO . PSU-S is actually in Sharon but Shenango definitely sounds more exotic. The school has 600 students and started their athletics program this fall with MBB and VB. They play in the PSU branch conference and are 3-2 in conference. Oddly all members of the PSUAC use NITTANY LIONS or just LIONS as their mascot.
                    The VULCANS added a couple of players, 10 played tonight, and romped over BU 102-70. BRENT PEGRAM led them with 31 pts, 8 assists and 6 steals. All starters ended up in double figures and FR JERMAINE HALL had 12 RB. Nice win as the team looked to be more organized and focused. Tomorrow evening vs ESU in last game before holiday break. The WARRIORS will be a challenge having already beaten BORO and ROCK. Time will tell.

Comment

So now that we have the 2018-19 rosters for both teams officially posted, who has the better team this year and who finishes with the best record? I mean, certain posters have said that the PSAC West is weak this coming season so that should bode well for Cal's W/L record right? Buuuutttt...to counter, some have opined that the MEC will be down this year so presumably, that would result in more W's for WJU right?

My prediction:

Cal PA 11 wins 17 losses (.393)
                      WJU 13 wins 13 losses (.500)
                      Well these numbers may have to be adjusted. After 12 games for both teams CALU at 5-7 seems to moving in the right direction winning games they should and playing competitive ball against superior teams. PEGRAM has been everything SANCOMB could have hoped for and freshmen MACADAMS and COLLINS are #2&3 scorers each playing 35 plus minutes a game. WJU on the other hand is 1-11 with the only W being against PSU-SHENANGO which is in it's first season. They're scoring well enough, averaging 79 PPG but giving up 87 .
                      After almost half a season, I'd say the VULCANS have a shot at .500 but would be really surprised if the CARDINALS make it to double digit wins. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        Well these numbers may have to be adjusted. After 12 games for both teams CALU at 5-7 seems to moving in the right direction winning games they should and playing competitive ball against superior teams. PEGRAM has been everything SANCOMB could have hoped for and freshmen MACADAMS and COLLINS are #2&3 scorers each playing 35 plus minutes a game. WJU on the other hand is 1-11 with the only W being against PSU-SHENANGO which is in it's first season. They're scoring well enough, averaging 79 PPG but giving up 87 .
                        After almost half a season, I'd say the VULCANS have a shot at .500 but would be really surprised if the CARDINALS make it to double digit wins. Time will tell.
                        I thought that Sancomb did a good job not panicking after Gannon's surprising quick start. He stayed in the zone and made a few tweaks and held GU to less than a point per minute over the final 30. They are certainly not a terrific team, but certainly have a shot at 4th in the west, which would be a step forward for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                          I thought that Sancomb did a good job not panicking after Gannon's surprising quick start. He stayed in the zone and made a few tweaks and held GU to less than a point per minute over the final 30. They are certainly not a terrific team, but certainly have a shot at 4th in the west, which would be a step forward for the program.
                          Especially considering the team is made up of 1senior, 3 juniors (who haven't played) and the rest are freshman and sophomores.

Comment

Oh so quietly, WJ has won 3 of their last 4 and have moved oit of the MEC basement. They stand 5-18 on the season.

At 5 and 7 victories respectively, doesn't look like WJ or Cal has much of a chance of finishing with double digit win totals.
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

At most the VULCANS will win 2 of 4 and finish 9-18. Given the circumstances not terrible especially with the experience that was gained by this very young team. If I were to lay out the next step for '19-'20 it would be to finish at or above .500 (there were 4 winnable games that got away) and get a glimpse at the post season for the first time since '13-'14. Time will tell.

Comment

Wheeling is on a nice run right now. They may sneak in to the MEC Tournament.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X