Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peckenpaugh v. Sancomb?

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    The new coach at Jesuit maybe the next great coach in the region...I will give him this, he is connected enough to bring in guys from all over. I don't think they are just bodies, some look to be decent players.

On the other hand, Sancomb is tried and proven and I don't have any doubts will be successful. He may not have the studs this year but you can bet that the team will play good defense, be physically tough and will play hard consistently which I think will be an immediate improvement. Just may take a year or 2 to challenge at the top of the league.
    The WJU team will be almost entirely PECKINPAUGH'S team. The top 7 players ( minutes per game)from 17-18 are gone. They played something like 97% of the game time. Only SO. BRENDEN HOBAN is back and may or may not see any more time than he did last year. It will be a formidable challenge to make a team out of players who largely just met. Just as the VULCANS, I'd give it a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Absolute best-case WJ could finish third in the MEC. My suspicion is you have Fairmont, West Liberty and then a huge gap to the rest. Notre Dame could be decent if Vorhees returns healthy. Who knows ... maybe this 'big' WJ got is another Sleva-type. WL's speed and pressure didn't effect him at all.

Of the five Cal has listed as returnees, a couple of them are very solid players. Pegram will be a big boost. For all we know at this point, Sancomb could have landed a big star (like Edinboro did last year). Losing Howze is a major issue -- whatever the reason was. Danny showed the ability at WJ to adapt to different styles of play. McBride refused to do that at Cal and his teams were often vastly over-matched and physically beaten in the West -- with defense nowhere to be found.

In the grand scheme of who will do better ... probably need at least 2-3 years to get a vibe on it.

While on the topic, I don't really expect the guy at Fairmont to stay there very long. I suspect 1-2 more years max and he'll follow the Calhoun route.
      I also think they could possibly finish 3rd. I do think they are a mess, but the MEC is very weak right now. WJ, ND, Concord, or even WVW could grab the 3rd spot

Comment

I think Charleston could be in the mix for that 3 spot also.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          6-8, 230 is quite a bit different than 7-0, 250!

Guy at Fairmont is bound to be a bust because everyone knows you can't replace a really good coach with another really good coach!! Hahahaha!!

Yeah but how many good 7-footers have you seen at this level? Very, very few.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
            I think Charleston could be in the mix for that 3 spot also.
            You might be right, but they seem to be a roller coaster with having 3/4 of their team always transfers or junior college players.

Comment

Yeah but how many good 7-footers have you seen at this level? Very, very few.
              That is very true and from what little I've seen/read on this guy, his deficiency is in the offensive end. But he does appear to be able to run and move better than almost any 7 footer ive seen at the DII level. If he can rebound, block shots, get some put backs and get back on D, he will be a big plus for WJ.

Comment

So now that we have the 2018-19 rosters for both teams officially posted, who has the better team this year and who finishes with the best record? I mean, certain posters have said that the PSAC West is weak this coming season so that should bode well for Cal's W/L record right? Buuuutttt...to counter, some have opined that the MEC will be down this year so presumably, that would result in more W's for WJU right?

My prediction:

Cal PA 11 wins 17 losses (.393)
                WJU 13 wins 13 losses (.500)

Comment

Still can't make my prediction.

Rumor is Slippery Rock and Edinboro are waiting until opening night to post their rosters.

Comment

As fascinating as this soap opera has been, SANCOMB and PECKINPAUGH have only an odd coincidental relationship. At the end of the season DS will look back at his first season as VULCANS HC and begin work on the 19-20 season with a solid 12 man nucleus and a full year to recruit. I'm sure his wife, the principal at WHEELING CENTRAL CATHOLIC, will keep him up to date with the whispers surrounding WJU going around "THE FRIENDLY CITY". Other than that I hope he has more than enough to occupy him trying to compete in the PSAC. Any projection without having seen any of his players together is meaningless. How about we say he goes 20-8, wins the West, takes down SHIP for the conference and gets the #2 seed in the Atlantic region. Has about as much validity as any other projection and makes me feel better.

Comment

Good point.

Ship may find life after Sleva to be quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        As fascinating as this soap opera has been, SANCOMB and PECKINPAUGH have only an odd coincidental relationship. At the end of the season DS will look back at his first season as VULCANS HC and begin work on the 19-20 season with a solid 12 man nucleus and a full year to recruit. I'm sure his wife, the principal at WHEELING CENTRAL CATHOLIC, will keep him up to date with the whispers surrounding WJU going around "THE FRIENDLY CITY". Other than that I hope he has more than enough to occupy him trying to compete in the PSAC. Any projection without having seen any of his players together is meaningless. How about we say he goes 20-8, wins the West, takes down SHIP for the conference and gets the #2 seed in the Atlantic region. Has about as much validity as any other projection and makes me feel better.
                        Got your predictions down!!

I think the two coaches will be compaired throughout their tenures at their respective schools primarily because of how they came about being at them. I mean, one could argue that absent Sancomb becoming available, there is a chance Peckenpaugh could have gone to Cal. Quite obviously he was looking to move back into the HC ranks so if Sandcomb stays at WJU, I'd bet Peck would have dropped a resume on Cal and given his experience, I'd think he would have been high on the list.

Seems like the PSAC/Cal faithful refuse to make any legit predictions while at the same time praising Sancomb as a messiah and questioning if WJU will even be able to field a team!!
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 09-22-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Good point.

Ship may find life after Sleva to be quite different.
                          What, you mean teams don't have All-American caliber players waiting in the wings??

Comment

Or. You could probably argue minus four of us ... nobody could give a shiz.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              Got your predictions down!!

I think the two coaches will be compaired throughout their tenures at their respective schools primarily because of how they came about being at them. I mean, one could argue that absent Sancomb becoming available, there is a chance Peckenpaugh could have gone to Cal. Quite obviously he was looking to move back into the HC ranks so if Sandcomb stays at WJU, I'd bet Peck would have dropped a resume on Cal and given his experience, I'd think he would have been high on the list.

Seems like the PSAC/Cal faithful refuse to make any legit predictions while at the same time praising Sancomb as a messiah and questioning if WJU will even be able to field a team!!
                              If either go .500 this year I'd be surprised.

If either stay a full 5 years (not likely) I'd pick Danny to have more success.

Comment

WJU's basketball roster has swelled to 23 strong!!! That's almost two complete teams with second teams, 6th men and end of bench role players. Practices must be insane! Don't know who amongst them can play, but Coach P does have a LOT to chose from!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X