X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Big John has lost A LOT of weight in the past few years. I think he was up to 320 at one time in high school before he got serious about his training. If anything I think maybe he trimmed down too much. I wouldn't mind seeing some more bulk for him.

He has a lot of heart and he is now learning about the D-I and ACC game. He overcame quite a bit to make it to this point.

He is also capable of providing that stretch five/four with outside capalbility although we haven't really seen that yet.

Also a fantastic passer who once had 15 assists in a game last winter. But i think the Pitt staff is just trying to concentrate him as a banger down low for the time being.

It's a pretty common tale with freshmen post players at the D1 and D2 levels. One major adjustment is most go from always being the biggest and strongest kid on the floor. In high school, 6'9" and 250 lbs is gigantic considering most 'bigs' at that level are 6'2" and 180 lbs.

Then they arrive on campus and everybody at their position is between 6'7" and 6'11" -- and have been in the weight room for years. You go from being the 'man' to being the 'boy'. Perfect world you'd redshirt about 99.5% of true freshmen post players. Guards are almost always more ready to play as 18-year-olds. Their biggest downside as true freshmen is typically more mental mistakes.

I think back to Cobo Diaz. He played as a scrawny true freshmen but, man, his physical transformation over the coming years was incredible.

My take on Hughley so far is you see glimpses -- but, still many deer-in-the-headlights moments. That will change over time. Once he starts playing controlled yet p!ssed off, he'll be a monster.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He doesn't have the body of a true freshman but he plays like one. Once he gets a bit of a mean streak in him ... look out. He's pretty soft right now.
    Big John has lost A LOT of weight in the past few years. I think he was up to 320 at one time in high school before he got serious about his training. If anything I think maybe he trimmed down too much. I wouldn't mind seeing some more bulk for him.

He has a lot of heart and he is now learning about the D-I and ACC game. He overcame quite a bit to make it to this point.

He is also capable of providing that stretch five/four with outside capalbility although we haven't really seen that yet.

Also a fantastic passer who once had 15 assists in a game last winter. But i think the Pitt staff is just trying to concentrate him as a banger down low for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Well said! Now if we can only get IUPalum on board my work upon this mortal coil could possibly be at long last completed. LOL.

Odukale is presenting MAJOR matchup problems for opposing guards with that 6-5 height and nearly 7-foot wingspan. The one Pitt dude pointed out how flustered Louisville standout PG Carlik Jones was when faced with him. That is a LOT of size and range to give up and it has to be daunting.

I would have been happy had Pitt kept it within 15-20 after hearing about the injuries. They had it within one point a time or two in the second half. They did well with it.

John Hugley showed some more promise at PF.

Odd game that X did not have a single assist.

Yes, this season is ALL ABOUT developing the younger and newer players. Next year could be pretty decent. I agree.

He doesn't have the body of a true freshman but he plays like one. Once he gets a bit of a mean streak in him ... look out. He's pretty soft right now.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Well said! Now if we can only get IUPalum on board my work upon this mortal coil could possibly be at long last completed. LOL.

Odukale is presenting MAJOR matchup problems for opposing guards with that 6-5 height and nearly 7-foot wingspan. The one Pitt dude pointed out how flustered Louisville standout PG Carlik Jones was when faced with him. That is a LOT of size and range to give up and it has to be daunting.

I would have been happy had Pitt kept it within 15-20 after hearing about the injuries. They had it within one point a time or two in the second half. They did well with it.

Yes, this season is ALL ABOUT developing the younger and newer players. Next year could be pretty decent. I agree.
    You've got a lot of work to do to convince me.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Even without their two stars last night Pitt probably could have won that game. They made some real boneheaded plays at really bad times. But, that's what comes with numerous true freshmen playing heavy minutes. This is a developmental year. They have a chance to be really good next year.

The bigs need to get physically stronger -- and that will happen as freshmen turn in to sophomores (well, actually they'll still be freshmen next year). You typically really see that body transformation entering their second season.

Femi Odukale had his coming out party last night with 16 points. That's a 6'5" PG/SG with incredible upside. That was one of those 'where the heck has he been all year' breakouts.

If Capel keeps this team together this off-season (no transfers outbound) ... that's likely a Top 15 team next year.

I'd assume they putter around .500 this year but gearing up for next season -- gaining experience -- is the true underlying of this season. I don't know how many more games they'll play this year but every one will help long-term.

The future is bright ... haven't said that about Pitt in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Even without their two stars last night Pitt probably could have won that game. They made some real boneheaded plays at really bad times. But, that's what comes with numerous true freshmen playing heavy minutes. This is a developmental year. They have a chance to be really good next year.

The bigs need to get physically stronger -- and that will happen as freshmen turn in to sophomores (well, actually they'll still be freshmen next year). You typically really see that body transformation entering their second season.

Femi Odukale had his coming out party last night with 16 points. That's a 6'5" PG/SG with incredible upside. That was one of those 'where the heck has he been all year' breakouts.

If Capel keeps this team together this off-season (no transfers outbound) ... that's likely a Top 15 team next year.

I'd assume they putter around .500 this year but gearing up for next season -- gaining experience -- is the true underlying of this season. I don't know how many more games they'll play this year but every one will help long-term.

The future is bright ... haven't said that about Pitt in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Slam out 6-8 weeks. Ouch.
    He heals his wounds from the inside out. He'll be back in several weeks. Brooklyn tough!

I was talking to one booster who was at the Pitt preseason night in the fall of 2019 when Slam Penny was out with a knee. He was doing warm ups and awed the crowd with some really powerful windmill dunks. He'll be back.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Not good!

Looks like Pitt may be playing out the hand of this Covid and developmental season here. Yeah, everything really sucks.

But at least the younger and newer players will get plenty of time to play and build unit cohesion and hopefully set the table for next year. Femi Odukale put in 16 this evening.

Toney sounds like he could be back soon. Regarding Slam Penny----he was basically thought to be done for the year in the fall of 2019 with a knee injury. He somehow healed quickly by some sort of miracle. Hope it happens again. Pitt killed by like -19 on the glass tonite.

At least Pitt made a fight of it all things considered.
    Slam out 6-8 weeks. Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Not good!

Looks like Pitt may be playing out the hand of this Covid and developmental season here. Yeah, everything really sucks.

But at least the younger and newer players will get plenty of time to play and build unit cohesion and hopefully set the table for next year. Femi Odukale put in 16 this evening.

Toney sounds like he could be back soon. Regarding Slam Penny----he was basically thought to be done for the year in the fall of 2019 with a knee injury. He somehow healed quickly by some sort of miracle. Hope it happens again. Pitt killed by like -19 on the glass tonite.

At least Pitt made a fight of it all things considered.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I thought they were awful with so now... ouch!
    Pitt down 30-28 half

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Toney and Champaign both out. Injuries.

Yikes
    I thought they were awful with so now... ouch!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Toney and Champaign both out. Injuries.

Yikes

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Getting ugly in Rupp Arena. Calipari just told one of his star freshmen to 'step away' from the team for a bit. Word is more departures could be coming.

There are years he nails the all-freshmen team. This certainly isn't one of them. Looks like the all-crying-diva team. Then again, there's plenty of talent there. Sometimes getting that one player out of the locker room can do wonders. Their schedule also starts to lighten up in the coming weeks. They've played a gauntlet so far. This team would have been far better off with the Cupcake U schedule.
    They should have put St. Francis on the slate. How'd that work out for Pitt? LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Brutal four-game stretch starts tonight for Pitt.

Louisville
    @ Duke
    Notre Dame
    Florida State

Louisville star Carlik Jones is cleared to return tonight. He's a high Round 1 NBA guy. I think the goal would be to somehow go 2-2.
    Or maybe 0-4 with your dignity somehow still intact. LOL. That's a tough stretch. ACC ball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Getting ugly in Rupp Arena. Calipari just told one of his star freshmen to 'step away' from the team for a bit. Word is more departures could be coming.

There are years he nails the all-freshmen team. This certainly isn't one of them. Looks like the all-crying-diva team. Then again, there's plenty of talent there. Sometimes getting that one player out of the locker room can do wonders. Their schedule also starts to lighten up in the coming weeks. They've played a gauntlet so far. This team would have been far better off with the Cupcake U schedule.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X