X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Losses are losses, whether they're in a streak or not. Collectively obviously four games are more important than one, if they win all four of those games they're a top 4 seed. You've missed the point, as I've noticed you have a tendency to do.
    I didn't miss a thing. I just think you're wrong.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I haven't read all of the comments so I might be saying things others have said.

Basketball (and other sports) are extracurricular activities. There shouldn't be additional eligibility given. The regular season is over. Conference tournaments were completed. Everybody who used a year of eligibility in 2019-2020 was able to participate. The NCAA can't do something different for athletes on a playoff team than they do for players whose teams didn't make the playoffs. I think that would be unfair - discrimination even.

Compare this to a player who plays all year but gets hurt right before the NCAA playoffs. They don't get another year of eligibility.

It's just bad luck. Everybody's life is disrupted.
    But ... this is a 'everybody gets a trophy' world we live in today.

This year's seniors got screwed. Other than costing money ... what does it hurt letting them come back?

A large number will move on with life, anyway.

This will be interesting to watch unfold. Many prominent figures are backing the players to get another year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Chucky and Malik never took a redshirt.

So, next year Joe could redshirt Malik, Chucky and Ethan. That would get him down to 7 players.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I haven't read all of the comments so I might be saying things others have said.

Basketball (and other sports) are extracurricular activities. There shouldn't be additional eligibility given. The regular season is over. Conference tournaments were completed. Everybody who used a year of eligibility in 2019-2020 was able to participate. The NCAA can't do something different for athletes on a playoff team than they do for players whose teams didn't make the playoffs. I think that would be unfair - discrimination even.

Compare this to a player who plays all year but gets hurt right before the NCAA playoffs. They don't get another year of eligibility.

It's just bad luck. Everybody's life is disrupted.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I personally don't think that anyone should be given an extra year. Most of the Seniors had already completed their season so why should they be given an extra year? Buuuutttt, if you give Seniors another year because they lost out on the post season, shouldn't you give Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen another season as well? They have lost out on one of their post seasons just like Seniors have.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    I personally don't think that anyone should be given an extra year. Most of the Seniors had already completed their season so why should they be given an extra year? Buuuutttt, if you give Seniors another year because they lost out on the post season, shouldn't you give Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen another season as well? They have lost out on one of their post seasons just like Seniors have.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    How would you like to host a 4-hours-a-day sports talk radio show for the next month?

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Malik and Chucky (and many others) back next year has serious legs.

NCAA bumps the scholy limit up for a year.

If I was betting -- in today's world -- they're coming back.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Malik and Chucky (and many others) back next year has serious legs.

NCAA bumps the scholy limit up for a year.

If I was betting -- in today's world -- they're coming back.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

So we're supposed to believe a four-game losing streak had less importance than a loss in the first weekend of the season?...Not buying it...
    Losses are losses, whether they're in a streak or not. Collectively obviously four games are more important than one, if they win all four of those games they're a top 4 seed. You've missed the point, as I've noticed you have a tendency to do.

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied
    I'll stand by my reasoning for my opinion on all of this.... playoffs are not guaranteed for any team... the regular seasons were completed by all teams thus no extra eligibility should be granted to anyone. If this was December, I'd definitely have a different stance. But its march and all teams were either in conference playoffs or NCAA playoffs or awaiting NCAA playoffs or sitting at home because they didnt make any playoffs. They all played complete regular seasons. They all played complete seasons.

I'll also use a different scenario as some support..if in february NCAA wrapped up some investigation of IUP and ended up banning them from playoffs for the next (example) 5 years, effective immediately. The seniors on the team would not be able to apply for extra eligibility. They'd grant underclassmen transfer rights, but those seniors are done. If the same thing happened in say November or early December, then they'd allow the seniors to quit and keep their eligibility so they can transfer next year or, pending circumstance, transfer immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    If the season is over for a player, it's over. If they are still playing, treat it like a medical redshirt.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

But why? Most of the seniors at the DII level had completed the last game they were going to play in college because they were on non playoff teams. Only players truely effected are the players on the teams that were in the playoffs and that applies to Seniors as well as Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen. All these players have lost out equally on one season of the playoffs regardless of what class they are in.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

No, the federal government has not acted very quickly here. Testing is still not where it should be. State governments, plus private companies, sports leagues etc. really have provided most of the leadership until this week. People saying we're at low or high risk are doing so at the moment without even having a clue to how many are infected. There were the first reported cases in Cumberland County, just north of here, on Friday. Basically, you're at low risk until you aren't. I'm not sure about your precedent theory. Do we shut down again for a mass pandemic? Depends what is it is and whether we're ready for it. Obviously if something even more severe than this thing (something equivalent to the 1918 influenza or the plague) comes along, yes we will shut down. If these mitigation efforts work, and this shuts down after a few thousand cases, that's fine.
    I'm not going to get into a political discussion, but there was quicker reaction here than when the 2008-2009 H1N1 pandemic swept across the globe and the nation. Had China been more transparent months ago about what was going on, the travel ban would have been put in place sooner. I commend the federal government for acting and stopping travel to/from China. The travel ban on Europe needed to happen as well. I bet by the end of the weekend the UK is added to that list as well. Should testing have been further along? Absolutely. But you could say that for many of the countries who have been hit by this. The only nation that quickly controlled this was Singapore, but they took an authoritative approach there. Had things occurred immediately in the US like what's happening in Singapore, people would have been screaming and complaining about taking away rights, freedoms, etc. People are scared now, though. So they're okay with all of that. New Rochelle, NY is about as close to Martial Law as you can get. Had that been enacted 4 weeks ago, across the US, when everybody was joking about this virus, people would have been rioting. I hope this goes away quickly and is contained too, but you can't have it both ways when you look at mass shutdowns while still trying to maintain freedom and normalcy.

It's easy to blame an administration, president, etc., for anything. I get it. But the CDC's infrastructure was never set up for the mass testing of a new virus in the manner that people are calling for. And it never was. That stretches back to when the CDC was created. That issue dates back years and across countless different administrations. What's gone on here is uncharted waters in the modern era. There's no script or playbook for this, because it's never happened before.

I can argue that the great thing about this country is that the state governments, private sector, sports leagues, etc., all have the power to make large scale decisions like this. I would rather live in a nation where individuals make these types of decisions instead of ONLY relying on the federal government to do things for us. I can't tell you where this all goes, but I believe, like I have mentioned before, that we all choose what study or report we want to believe. I saw a report yesterday that suggested 12 million Americans will be infected with this. I saw another report that suggests that in 2-3 weeks we will have this controlled in this country. Those are two totally different extremes reported from two public health experts. The great part about the United States of America is that we are provided different reports from private media outlets, private sector doctors, etc., and we have the freedom to choose what we want to believe.

The reality is that I'm not sure anybody really knows where this goes.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X