Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC PLANS

https://mountaineast.org/news/2020/6...20-return.aspx

No out of conference games for basketball for 20-21.

Aw man! If we can't argue about Howlett's out of conference scheduling, what the heck will Boat & I discuss all fall?!

Comment

one of the things that a number of the selection criteria rely on is scheduling differences. This is primarily manifested in the out of conference games that each school plays AND the OOC games that a schools opponent plays. This move will take all that out of the equation. Every school in the MEC, regardless of W/L record will have identical .500 SOS which most of the time will get a team in clear discussion for a playoff slot. This year should come down largely to W/L record...Which in my opinion is the MOST important critera by FAR.

Of course, the NCAA has been know to put their thumb on the playoff selection scales to get the result they desire...This year they may put their whole hand on the scale!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        one of the things that a number of the selection criteria rely on is scheduling differences. This is primarily manifested in the out of conference games that each school plays AND the OOC games that a schools opponent plays. This move will take all that out of the equation. Every school in the MEC, regardless of W/L record will have identical .500 SOS which most of the time will get a team in clear discussion for a playoff slot. This year should come down largely to W/L record...Which in my opinion is the MOST important critera by FAR.

Of course, the NCAA has been know to put their thumb on the playoff selection scales to get the result they desire...This year they may put their whole hand on the scale!!!
        Interesting thought about the NCAA bias. Of the three conferences in the ATLANTIC REGION which do you think will be given the most conference credit (since there will be no interconference play)if and when there is a post season selection and playoff. My totally wild guess is PSAC-4, MEC-2 and CIAA-2.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          Interesting thought about the NCAA bias. Of the three conferences in the ATLANTIC REGION which do you think will be given the most conference credit (since there will be no interconference play)if and when there is a post season selection and playoff. My totally wild guess is PSAC-4, MEC-2 and CIAA-2.
          The PSAC could play one non-conference game if it chooses to ... or just add an extra crossover game.

Comment

MEC will play a 16 game schedule on Jan 7. Top 10 teams will be invited to the MEC Tourney at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling.

Comment

So with the PSAC and now the CIAA canceling their basketball seasons, I guess the winner of the MEC title will be the defacto SR1 Champions! So would that be the regular season champ or the tourney champs that claims the SR1 title?

OR

The last thing I saw from the NCAA (December 7th) said that they were reducing the size of the DII basketball championship field to 48 teams. Is that still the case? If so, that would mean 12 teams from each region. If that is the case, and as the only SR1 conference playing, would that mean that all 11 MEC teams would make the tourney field? Who would be the 12th team from SR1?

Are there any individual PSAC or CIAA teams looking to play an abbreviated basketball schedule? If so, maybe the team with the best record would be the 12th SR1 team in the NCAA tourney.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 12-19-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I think any rule is subject to change in These times. They might seed the teams 1-48 nationally. My guess is no more than 4 mec teams using that approach. What if they invited strong teams like iup based on the preseason rankings? Would psac let them play in regional only? One could seed them abnormally low like 48 given 0 games played.
                feel bad for those players

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                  I think any rule is subject to change in These times. They might seed the teams 1-48 nationally. My guess is no more than 4 mec teams using that approach. What if they invited strong teams like iup based on the preseason rankings? Would psac let them play in regional only? One could seed them abnormally low like 48 given 0 games played.
                  feel bad for those players
                  They wouldn't do that (nor would IUP). They'd be at a massive disadvantage with no games under their belt.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They wouldn't do that (nor would IUP). They'd be at a massive disadvantage with no games under their belt.
                    You are right. Just brainstorming alternatives to them playing zero games in tourney. I imagine the #1 seed would be less than thrilled to play iup in first round lol.

Comment

How many other confs are playing and in which regions?

Comment

So with the PSAC and now the CIAA canceling their basketball seasons, I guess the winner of the MEC title will be the defacto SR1 Champions! So would that be the regular season champ or the tourney champs that claims the SR1 title?

OR

The last thing I saw from the NCAA (December 7th) said that they were reducing the size of the DII basketball championship field to 48 teams. Is that still the case? If so, that would mean 12 teams from each region. If that is the case, and as the only SR1 conference playing, would that mean that all 11 MEC teams would make the tourney field? Who would be the 12th team from SR1?

Are there any individual PSAC or CIAA teams looking to play an abbreviated basketball schedule? If so, maybe the team with the best record would be the 12th SR1 team in the NCAA tourney.
                        Mercyhurst M & W BB are playing Both teams are 3-0.
                        Boro & Gannon are snoozing

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Mercyhurst M & W BB are playing Both teams are 3-0.
                          Boro & Gannon are snoozing
                          Are Boro and/or Gannon going to play after the start of the year or have they thrown in the towel? I note Hurst only shows 3 games (+1 exhibition) on their schedule. Are they done for the season or are they doing a sort of "schedule as you go" thing?

Comment

Are Boro and/or Gannon going to play after the start of the year or have they thrown in the towel? I note Hurst only shows 3 games (+1 exhibition) on their schedule. Are they done for the season or are they doing a sort of "schedule as you go" thing?

I've never seen any indication Edinboro was planning to play. Gannon wanted to and has been practicing. For whatever reason Mercyhurst has been able to find three games and Gannon hasn't. Obviously you'd assume they'd play each other being they are 3 miles apart. Once the playing leagues start conference games ... I don't know how they'll find any more games.

I'd assume they both try to play Salem a couple times, etc. Not many options out there.

Comment

Lincoln has to be an option too right?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X