Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Mountain East Tournament

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    But that's what people are saying...No WAY WLU should be above VA State. VA State has the SAME W/L %, a stronger PI number as well as winning their conference tourney. Had we played our typical schedule, this argument would be largely moot.

We'll see if these first two games make them stronger in the tourney.

Comment

Are we really still talking about West Liberty losing to Kutztown in the first week of November?

Ben's (actual) comments on their schedule:

"We're definitely excited about the challenges we'll be facing on our schedule this season," Howlett said. "We open against two NCAA Tournament caliber teams on back-to-back nights and go to Tennessee in December to play another NCAA Tournament team on their home floor.
      "When you play in a league as competitive as the Mountain East Conference, those are the types of teams you have to play to get ready for league play."

Comment

This "WLU must play a tougher schedule if they hope to succeed" has been a drum beat for a segment of this board. They use the last two years as "proof" that this is a fact while ignoring the 10 years before that when the Toppers had a great deal of success playing an easy early schedule...In fact, their success over that period is better than most (all?) SR1 teams. Why do you suppose these fans of other SR1 teams want WLU to play a tough early schedule? Is it that they truly want WLU to be even tougher when it comes playoff time? I think not...I think their desire is to get WLU an extra loss or perhaps two which would make them less likely to be in the discussion for hosting the Regional Championship which increases the chances of the Regionals being held either in their gym or in another gym that they are more comfortable playing in.
        That was not my drumbeat about scheduling tougher opponents...It had nothing to do with them "hoping to succeed", they've been really really successful without tough opening games.....The reason I wanted them to play tougher teams was to see how they stack up...and it's more fun to watch WCU vs WL than WL vs Cheyney...

Will the game they played vs Kutz or WCU make them infallible vs ESU?, no way...BUt it gave them a tougher more competitive opening weekend...nothing more nothing less... And may have even helped them get the 2 seed..but it's such a tired tired argument that Boat wants creampuffs on the schedule.....
        ENOUGH...

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
          Not trying to change the topic, but is Shawn Rine no longer writing for the Wheeling paper? I know a lot of papers in WV have gone with a lot of change lately.
          He is no longer there (as of a couple weeks ago).

Comment

Just released this morning about Wheeling Jesuit and their financial situation:

https://wtov9.com/news/local/wheelin...ncial-exigency

This all comes after the big diocese contribution last year. Not a good situation at all, and I wonder how athletics will be affected?

Comment

Attendance for the 3 WLU MEC Tourney games...2600, 2800 and 3800.

Not bad Wheeling...not bad at all!!

Comment

Just released this morning about Wheeling Jesuit and their financial situation:

https://wtov9.com/news/local/wheelin...ncial-exigency

This all comes after the big diocese contribution last year. Not a good situation at all, and I wonder how athletics will be affected?
                Hopefully Danny's infamous checking account still has some money in it.

Comment

I know it was mentioned earlier that Brendan Hoban left WJU.

It is now confirmed that WJU's big man Tariq Woody is leaving WJU after averaging 12.4 ppg and 6.7 rpg. The 6'8" / 250 pound freshman had some nice games this year down the stretch....WV State 28 pts, West Lib 20 pts and WVW 25 points. I am hearing one of their other top players has been putting feelers out to other D2 schools. Does this have to do with the financial crisis going on and possibly cutting schollies? Woody has already announced he is transferring.

Comment

I wonder if their big man would be interested in coming to West Lib? Would he fit our style of play??

Comment

Originally posted by Topper912 View Post
                      I wonder if their big man would be interested in coming to West Lib? Would he fit our style of play??
                      His 3 pt % is 12.5%, Assist to Turnover ratio is .75, only 9 blocks in season. Mainly used as a post player. Maybe his game is better that its utilization at WJU.
                      He is 6-8 and 250, though. But if he were to come to WL, after open gym, by the start of the season, he would be 6-8 and 190! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                        His 3 pt % is 12.5%, Assist to Turnover ratio is .75, only 9 blocks in season. Mainly used as a post player. Maybe his game is better that its utilization at WJU.
                        He is 6-8 and 250, though. But if he were to come to WL, after open gym, by the start of the season, he would be 6-8 and 190! LOL
                        That's a couple of their decent players gone. Looks like that rebuild just got longer. 'Tis the season.

Comment

I know it was mentioned earlier that Brendan Hoban left WJU.

It is now confirmed that WJU's big man Tariq Woody is leaving WJU after averaging 12.4 ppg and 6.7 rpg. The 6'8" / 250 pound freshman had some nice games this year down the stretch....WV State 28 pts, West Lib 20 pts and WVW 25 points. I am hearing one of their other top players has been putting feelers out to other D2 schools. Does this have to do with the financial crisis going on and possibly cutting schollies? Woody has already announced he is transferring.
                          To correct it is an exigency and not a crisis. While both require rapid action...A broken stop light at a busy intersection is an exigent situation...a dump truck barreling at a family in a minivan sitting in the middle of that same intersection is a crisis!

According to someone who Tweeted on Woody's transfer (and Woody retweeted), Woody leaving was caused by a unique and unforeseen situation. Same Tweet says he has "heard" from several D1 and top DII programs (no it didn't say which...just TOP).

Comment

To correct it is an exigency and not a crisis. While both require rapid action...A broken stop light at a busy intersection is an exigent situation...a dump truck barreling at a family in a minivan sitting in the middle of that same intersection is a crisis!

According to someone who Tweeted on Woody's transfer (and Woody retweeted), Woody leaving was caused by a unique and unforeseen situation. Same Tweet says he has "heard" from several D1 and top DII programs (no it didn't say which...just TOP).
                            Woody is going to get a lot of attention on the D2 end.

Comment

Synonym for "exigency".....dat be crisis.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exigency

Comment

The tweet says "unique circumstances". There is no word "and unforseen". I posed a question as to why he might be leaving. It was a question. I don't know why he is leaving but neither do you.

https://twitter.com/CoachSinawi/stat...15312820207617

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X