Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gannon wasn't even on the Region Watch list let alone the first rankings. That would mean they would have to leapfrog 3 other teams to get in. I can't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Gannon wasn't even on the Region Watch list let alone the first rankings. That would mean they would have to leapfrog 3 other teams to get in. I can't see that happening.
      I agree. Loss to Salem really hurt Gannon. Are the two games with with IUP an act of desperation? Even if they win, the mercyhurst losses would override the victory over a rusty, good team imho.
      Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-04-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

True. But, all but one other MEC team is going to lose a game this week. Same with the teams from the other conference.

Just hope there's no wildcard tournament winners.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It would be interesting how they view Gannon if they somehow sweep IUP. IUP has no body of work as these are its first games, but there is the reputation/human factor.
          I've been assured by people who swear that they know that "reputation" doesn't enter into the equation!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I've been assured by people who swear that they know that "reputation" doesn't enter into the equation!!
            Yeah... right!

Comment

True. But, all but one other MEC team is going to lose a game this week. Same with the teams from the other conference.

Just hope there's no wildcard tournament winners.
              You wouldn't think that competing in a conference tournament (which inherently adds a loss to every team but 1) would be held against teams. But hard to say what the NCAA will do in this crazy year.

Comment

You wouldn't think that competing in a conference tournament (which inherently adds a loss to every team but 1) would be held against teams. But hard to say what the NCAA will do in this crazy year.
                It sure as heck can. It cost IUP several years back losing in the Final Four of the PSACs in OT at West Chester.

Comment

It sure as heck can. It cost IUP several years back losing in the Final Four of the PSACs in OT at West Chester.
                  Right. But that was a scenario in which everyone was in a conference tournament. This year is a bit different, as some teams are competing in conference tourneys and others are not. So, I would think it would be hard to penalize a team for a conference tourney loss when comparing them to a team that never played in a tourney at all.

In years past, you might compare how a team did in their tourney vs. how another team did in their tourney. But that was at least as close to apples-to-apples. This is something else entirely. But as I said, it's hard to know how the NCAA will operate this year.

For reference, only 4 teams of the 8 listed in the East Regional Ranking even played the 11-game minimum. So go figure that. Will that region only have 4 teams, or will some 5-4 team make the tourney by default. Or worse, will 0-12 D'Youville make the tourney because they actually got in 11 games (without winning one of them). It's a mess this year. I just find it hard to fathom that Gannon would leapfrog KWC, Glenville, and Fairmont just because those teams all picked up one more loss (assuming GSC or FSU doesn't win the tourney). It's merely expected that teams will pick up a loss in the conference tourney, as there's only one winner. Who knows -- shrug.

Comment

Malone bears hillsdale 74-64 in semis!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      Malone bears hillsdale 74-64 in semis!!!
                      That's both good news and bad news. It potentially knocks Hillsdale out of the top spot, opening the way for the MEC champ to take the 1 seed. But the bad news is that Malone has come on strong of late and if anyone (I'd still argue--as I did with IUPbig on another thread--that Gannon won't do it) is going to use big games down the stretch to leapfrog teams, it might be Malone. They don't look half bad according to the PI either.

If I were Fairmont or Glenville, I think I'd start considering these MEC games as must-wins.

Comment

Right. But that was a scenario in which everyone was in a conference tournament. This year is a bit different, as some teams are competing in conference tourneys and others are not. So, I would think it would be hard to penalize a team for a conference tourney loss when comparing them to a team that never played in a tourney at all.

In years past, you might compare how a team did in their tourney vs. how another team did in their tourney. But that was at least as close to apples-to-apples. This is something else entirely. But as I said, it's hard to know how the NCAA will operate this year.

For reference, only 4 teams of the 8 listed in the East Regional Ranking even played the 11-game minimum. So go figure that. Will that region only have 4 teams, or will some 5-4 team make the tourney by default. Or worse, will 0-12 D'Youville make the tourney because they actually got in 11 games (without winning one of them). It's a mess this year. I just find it hard to fathom that Gannon would leapfrog KWC, Glenville, and Fairmont just because those teams all picked up one more loss (assuming GSC or FSU doesn't win the tourney). It's merely expected that teams will pick up a loss in the conference tourney, as there's only one winner. Who knows -- shrug.
                        Another point, a loss by a team in the MEC and GMAC tourney will be to a good team, while Gannon's tourney week opponent is going to be either 0-2 or 1-1 Hard to envision that would trump a team losing in the semis of its conf tourney.

Comment

Cedarvile 76
                          Findlay 73

Comment

Cedarvile vs Malone for GMAC Championship and automatic bid.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                              Cedarvile vs Malone for GMAC Championship and automatic bid.
                              That's real bad news for somebody in the MEC.

Comment

The GMAC mess could really make this interesting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X