X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm a big free market guy. Big capitalism guy. I understand the argument for, and have long supported the argument against. This is just such a unique situation. So many fail to realize that outside of about 12-15 schools, most aren't making money hand over fist. In fact, most are lucky to break even when they siphon the money generated by roughly 2-4 revenue sports to back into the athletic department to simply field the non-revenue generating Olympic sports. I have yet to see a rational model where it shows who actually pays these players. And the ones which I have seen aren't equitable for all student athletes and will likely result in the death of both Title IX and athletic departments/programs at universities who don't have a dominant football program that has a cult-following.

Again, big free market guy. And what I'm about to say makes me a huge hypocrite. I've always supported a model where all athletes, of all sports, in both genders, are paid an equal sum. Or something that is considered salary based given the level you play at (D1, D2, D3, etc.). If recruiting in college football or basketball becomes a literal bidding war based on which elite program can get an 86 year old booster to write the biggest check, everything is ruined.

Fans at schools like Alabama or Ohio State have no issue with this model. They care about football. They breathe football. It's why their respective university exists. It's the schools that aren't like those ones (which is the vast majority) that this will destroy.

I wonder if the "unique situation" is the inherent contradiction between the primary mission of a college, which
    is academics, and running an athletic sports business. The incongruity of these missions is comng to a head. NCAA has been able to avoid much of the expenses assocIated with running the athletic business by fixing the cost and fringe benefits of their workers (players). No longer.

The following dominoes may possible start to fall:
    1. name image likeness costs
    2. Workers comp costs
    3. Compensation for CTE and other adverse health outcomes
    4. Additional educational benefits for athletes
    5. Non athlete students and public will protest any of their tuition going to athletics.
    6. In the past, colleges justified funding huge athletic deficits by claiming good sports teams increase academic donations, while avoiding rigorous scrutiny of this claim. If many schools drop to d3 and donations don't drop, then it could have a snowball effect of more schools dropping to D3.
    7. With fewer scholarships, secondary school students will shift more of their time to academics and away from athletics, which will improve the USA educational standing in the world. So there could be some good from this upheaval.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I also think he could go another 10 years. I guess it depends on what's going on with their health and his kids. He's not on the pension plan either. You were the one who mentioned there's a window possibly closing on making a deep run. I wonder if he'll stick around Indiana or if he'll head somewhere warmer. Isn't his wife from Homer City or somewhere local?
    He has a current window to really make a title run these next two years -- perhaps this year in particular with Demo and Shawndale coming back to go along with Armoni, Morris, Porterfield, etc.

But, he'll always have a team capable of winning the conference. Those teams actually capable of winning the whole thing, however, take some build up (and, he's now built up).

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Window closing? LOL. Not even close. He's a celebrity in this town and in very good health. Early 60s aren't what they used to be. I think he could easily go another 10 years.
    I also think he could go another 10 years. I guess it depends on what's going on with their health and his kids. He's not on the pension plan either. You were the one who mentioned there's a window possibly closing on making a deep run. I wonder if he'll stick around Indiana or if he'll head somewhere warmer. Isn't his wife from Homer City or somewhere local?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Nah. Joe's up there - early 60s I believe. He's made some good money and his wife works in pharma sales so money shouldn't be an object. I imagine he's a guy who would work as long as it makes sense but if there's a window closing it allows him to go out on his own terms. 100% wish Joe the best.

Window closing? LOL. Not even close. He's a celebrity in this town and in very good health. Early 60s aren't what they used to be. I think he could easily go another 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

LOL you wish.
    The day will come but it will obviously be one of the more-coveted jobs in D2 when he eventually retires. IUP was winning long before Redshirt Joe and will win long after Joe. Fortunately we'll get to enjoy the ride for another 5-6 years.

Joe's the Dean of IUP Basketball. No doubt. But, Kurt K. and Gary had some teams just as good (or perhaps better) than Joe's best teams. Where Joe elevated the program wasn't so much in winning but he turned IUP Basketball in to a primetime event (in Indiana).

IUP Football has been winning forever -- and the games still feel like going to a high school event. Joe's games have a totally different vibe to them. Granted, the KCAC helped, but building this current following didn't happen by accident.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

LOL you wish.
    Nah. Joe's up there - early 60s I believe. He's made some good money and his wife works in pharma sales so money shouldn't be an object. I imagine he's a guy who would work as long as it makes sense but if there's a window closing it allows him to go out on his own terms. 100% wish Joe the best.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I wonder what this will do to players...not for them. I may be in the minority, but I'm really not interested in following and more importantly, buying merch, for my D1 team if that team is nothing more than a minor league team that shares the name of my particular D1 school. I also wonder if there will be stratification of salaries? Do "D1 Minor League Teams" pay more for a star QB than for a second string punter?? Will there be a limit in the number of years players can play for "D1 Minor League Teams" or can they play for 8, 9, 10+ years? Any free agency restrictions? Can that star QB play for say Clemson this year and then can Alabama simply throw money at the player and steal him away the next year? What about D1 Minor League Team players that have jumped to the NFL and became marginal players...Can they come back?? What about the aged NFL star? Can he come back and play?? What would prevent an NFL team from affiliating a D1 Minor League team as a true minor league team for them?
    I'm a big free market guy. Big capitalism guy. I understand the argument for, and have long supported the argument against. This is just such a unique situation. So many fail to realize that outside of about 12-15 schools, most aren't making money hand over fist. In fact, most are lucky to break even when they siphon the money generated by roughly 2-4 revenue sports to back into the athletic department to simply field the non-revenue generating Olympic sports. I have yet to see a rational model where it shows who actually pays these players. And the ones which I have seen aren't equitable for all student athletes and will likely result in the death of both Title IX and athletic departments/programs at universities who don't have a dominant football program that has a cult-following.

Again, big free market guy. And what I'm about to say makes me a huge hypocrite. I've always supported a model where all athletes, of all sports, in both genders, are paid an equal sum. Or something that is considered salary based given the level you play at (D1, D2, D3, etc.). If recruiting in college football or basketball becomes a literal bidding war based on which elite program can get an 86 year old booster to write the biggest check, everything is ruined.

Fans at schools like Alabama or Ohio State have no issue with this model. They care about football. They breathe football. It's why their respective university exists. It's the schools that aren't like those ones (which is the vast majority) that this will destroy.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

And then retire.
    LOL you wish.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

All reasonable questions but imho none are show stoppers here. They would just have to decide the issues. Since player would sign a minor league contract there would be no poaching like there is today. It would also eliminate the existing restraint of trade for gifted athletes who are not able to get admitted to college.
    i have read that only 30 schools have athletic depts that are self supporting. One could envision a major reduction in teams.
    I would say that there will be a lot of "cost avoidance" that these now minor league teams would benefit from when the "teams" didn't have to address any educational issues. Silly little things like scholarships, room and board, academic related costs, NCAA compliance, etc. would all go to zero. Basically, the "teams" would become companies owned by the college. These companies would provide a portion of their profits to the school in exchange for the school letting them use their name.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I wonder what this will do to players...not for them. I may be in the minority, but I'm really not interested in following and more importantly, buying merch, for my D1 team if that team is nothing more than a minor league team that shares the name of my particular D1 school. I also wonder if there will be stratification of salaries? Do "D1 Minor League Teams" pay more for a star QB than for a second string punter?? Will there be a limit in the number of years players can play for "D1 Minor League Teams" or can they play for 8, 9, 10+ years? Any free agency restrictions? Can that star QB play for say Clemson this year and then can Alabama simply throw money at the player and steal him away the next year? What about D1 Minor League Team players that have jumped to the NFL and became marginal players...Can they come back?? What about the aged NFL star? Can he come back and play?? What would prevent an NFL team from affiliating a D1 Minor League team as a true minor league team for them?
    All reasonable questions but imho none are show stoppers here. They would just have to decide the issues. Since player would sign a minor league contract there would be no poaching like there is today. It would also eliminate the existing restraint of trade for gifted athletes who are not able to get admitted to college.
    i have read that only 30 schools have athletic depts that are self supporting. One could envision a major reduction in teams.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

F-ing loaded.

#stacked
    Hahahaha!! Seems like I've heard that before! #IUPisLoadedAF2021Edition

We hear about IUP being LOADED as often as we hear about an incoming WLU recruit being the best basketball player in the history of basketball playing!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I hear IUP is LOADED! ;-)
    F-ing loaded.

#stacked

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Well, his phone would be ringing off the hook if he'd so choose to do that ... he's a bonafide D1 player.

But, he's a pretty loyal guy. And, his cousin is here on the team for the next two years. From what I've heard he has no interest in leaving.

Joe will have the roster to make two serious pushes the next two years.
    I hear IUP is LOADED! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

And then retire.
    Word is he wants to go 5-6 more years. Too easy of a gig here. Having Ethan Porterfield for three more years would keep most coaches around.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Well, his phone would be ringing off the hook if he'd so choose to do that ... he's a bonafide D1 player.

But, he's a pretty loyal guy. And, his cousin is here on the team for the next two years. From what I've heard he has no interest in leaving.

Joe will have the roster to make two serious pushes the next two years.
    And then retire.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X