Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    That journey sounds amazing. Playing ball for some third place team in Croatia, thinking you'll get your chance in the NBA is sadly delusional. If your family is very well off and will set you up afterwards, by all means go for it. If you're some small town baller, it's time to get on with your real life. Other than pick-up games in the park or the local Y league, your playing days are over.

Comment

Double-edge sword. If they weren't a college-level player in that example ... they wouldn't have even been accepted to said school. Many of these schools get kids accepted who otherwise would never even get considered if they'd apply.

One of the long-standing arguments of why the Pitt football program basically collapsed was that in the mid-80s the then president no longer accepted 'football players' who didn't meet the schools academic standard. In the Johnny Majors heyday it was said they were taking stud players who could barely read. Not saying Pitt is Harvard but it is a very good academic school.

Comment

That journey sounds amazing. Playing ball for some third place team in Croatia, thinking you'll get your chance in the NBA is sadly delusional. If your family is very well off and will set you up afterwards, by all means go for it. If you're some small town baller, it's time to get on with your real life. Other than pick-up games in the park or the local Y league, your playing days are over.
        There was a video blog from a cat that played football at Baylor and was playing football in Europe. He painted a pretty good picture of what the lifestyle was like, the ability to travel and see sites most "normal" Americans will never see and the reality of pay and living accommodations. Bottom line take away was that if a person had the opportunity to trade a couple of years to "trade" for playing a game you love, travel around the various countries in Europe and fund your experience with the $'s you make in salary, why would anyone not jump at that opportunity if presented? He did say that there were Americans that came over and absolutely HATED it...spent their entire season in their apartment rooms playing video games, complaining about how "different" it was than in America, going to the local McDonalds if there was one and going to practice and games.

Is any American going to go to Europe to play ball for a couple of years going to "make it" to the NBA? Almost definently not and as with playing DII, a player would be wise to admit that to themselves up front. But if a player goes into it with his eyes open and considers it a chance to go to interesting places and meet interesting people...while playing a game he loves AND getting payed for it, I say, why not?? PLENTY of time to "settle down" when you are, g0d forbid, TWENTY SEVEN as opposed to feeling like you HAVE to at 22.

Comment

But playing a couple of years in Europe is not going to change the major they took so by extention, playing in Europe for a couple of years shouldn't have any effect how much $ they make.

Some might poo poo the idea and say/imply that players that chose to take a few years playing pro in Europe are getting a late start on life (I guess the implication is that a late start means they will make less money??). But I would note that the average American has between 3 and 5 different careers in his or her lifetime. If the late start = less $ premise is true, these poor people starting their careers over for the 5th time a F'ed!!!!!
          Last edited by boatcapt; 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

But playing a couple of years in Europe is not going to change the major they took so by extention, playing in Europe for a couple of years shouldn't have any effect how much $ they make.

Some might poo poo the idea and say/imply that players that chose to take a few years playing pro in Europe are getting a late start on life (I guess the implication is that a late start means they will make less money??). But I would note that the average American has between 3 and 5 different careers in his or her lifetime. If the late start = less $ premise is true, these poor people starting their careers over for the 5th time a F'ed!!!!!
            As I said if this journey is all part of a well thought out life plan, by all means ball out. But looking at a lot of the talented players, both D1and D2, your "college degree " means next to nothing and you need to focus on work because the days of dorms and dining halls are over. If, as is increasingly common, there is someone special and potentially children in play, life's burdens are about to come crashing down. Life can be wonderful if you work at it as hard as you have your game. Time to get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Completely agree ... Why not get your degree and if you have the skills, take a few years and play ball overseas? It's the experience of a lifetime and you can leverage your degree to get a "real" job after a few years. The odds aren't with you, but you could possibly develop into a player that gets a sniff at the NBA - you'll never know if you don't try. We have a guy where I work who had the same career arc for hockey ... played overseas and actually had a cup of coffee in the NHL. He's now a pretty successful sales person.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Completely agree ... Why not get your degree and if you have the skills, take a few years and play ball overseas? It's the experience of a lifetime and you can leverage your degree to get a "real" job after a few years. The odds aren't with you, but you could possibly develop into a player that gets a sniff at the NBA - you'll never know if you don't try. We have a guy where I work who had the same career arc for hockey ... played overseas and actually had a cup of coffee in the NHL. He's now a pretty successful sales person.
                Interesting that you bring up hockey. Because of the nature of the sport, anyone playing college or junior hockey are already much more organized and goal directed than another who is brought up playing basketball. The sheer costs of equipment, travel and occasionally even ice time means truly pursuing a pro career, even below the NHL, requires a serious plan unlike BB which requires a ball, some shoes and a lot of free time. Truly different life styles.

Comment

As I said if this journey is all part of a well thought out life plan, by all means ball out. But looking at a lot of the talented players, both D1and D2, your "college degree " means next to nothing and you need to focus on work because the days of dorms and dining halls are over. If, as is increasingly common, there is someone special and potentially children in play, life's burdens are about to come crashing down. Life can be wonderful if you work at it as hard as you have your game. Time to get on with it.

Comment

Same can be said for just about every player in the D League, DII, D3 and the NAIA...Time to put away childish things like sports and focus on your work. Maybe join an intermural league if you have the time but only if it doesn't interfear in any way with getting on with your life and building a career.

I do agree that a person needs to be ernest and hard working when they do "settle down" but I don't think that a person has to settle down into the work a day work force at 22 or be thought of as a failure. When you are young is precisely the time when a person should be enjoying life and trying new things...if that is spending a few years playing pro ball in Crotiatia or tending bar in the Caribbean or being a dive instructor in Fiji, etc. I say go for it. That work a day career will be there waiting for you weather you are 22 or 25 or heaven forbid 27 when you start.

Comment

I see Amir Hinton is doing his thing in the G league. Doesn't seem the lights are too bright for him. Some just take a little more time adjusting than others. He definitely looks like he belongs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X