X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm officially lost with this notion of Courtney Alexander not starting. She may legitimately be the West Player of the Year.

Without getting in to specifics, Tom's 'starting' lineup just isn't getting it done. They start nearly every game bad until Alexander enters. Then they go on a big run.

Last night she had 17 in the first half on 5-5 treys.

Other than a quick breather here or there she should never come off the floor. Add to it she's also their best defender. At a legit 5'11", she's just a mismatch for the majority of guards.
    Couldn't agree more. It seems they don't really start clicking until Alexander and Fink take the floor. Fink was a little off last night but still brought a ton of energy. If Alexander doesn't have the huge first half IUP would have been climbing out of a pretty deep hole. They still would have won because they just have way more material than Clarion, but that won't work against the better teams in the conference and region.

What would your starting five be? I'd go with Cerro, Alexander, Mascaro, Griggs, and Myers with Fink and D'Anna being first off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I'm officially lost with this notion of Courtney Alexander not starting. She may legitimately be the West Player of the Year.

Without getting in to specifics, Tom's 'starting' lineup just isn't getting it done. They start nearly every game bad until Alexander enters. Then they go on a big run.

Last night she had 17 in the first half on 5-5 treys.

Other than a quick breather here or there she should never come off the floor. Add to it she's also their best defender. At a legit 5'11", she's just a mismatch for the majority of guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Wow! 20 turnovers is a half is quite the accomplishment. Looked like the Hawks had 40 possessions (which is quite a bit). 12 ended in made baskets, 1 in a trip to the line (missed both), and 7 ended in missed shots that UPJ got the rebounded. And the other half ended in turnovers. That's pretty good offensive efficiency when you get up a shot, but 20 turnovers is ungodly awful.
    The other game Mascaro missed this year was the one at DC when they scored 39 and won.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied
    IUP committed 20 turnovers in the first half ... and have a lead.

TWENTY .... 20

IUP 26
    UPJ 25

Half

As Jack says ... Man o day ...

People were yapping on Twitter why some aren't playing ... THIS is why.
    Wow! 20 turnovers is a half is quite the accomplishment. Looked like the Hawks had 40 possessions (which is quite a bit). 12 ended in made baskets, 1 in a trip to the line (missed both), and 7 ended in missed shots that UPJ got the rebounded. And the other half ended in turnovers. That's pretty good offensive efficiency when you get up a shot, but 20 turnovers is ungodly awful.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP turns the ball over a whopping 28 times and somehow still won, 58-53.

Lord, I hope Justina Mascaro is back soon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP committed 20 turnovers in the first half ... and have a lead.

TWENTY .... 20

IUP 26
    UPJ 25

Half

As Jack says ... Man o day ...

People were yapping on Twitter why some aren't playing ... THIS is why.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has an early lead but looks AWFUL ... 16 turnovers mid-way thru 2nd quarter.

The flu has hit the team. Star guard Justina Mascaro didn't make the trip. Maria Cerro also sick.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    It was great to see former IUP player Monica Burns hacking it up on Saturday. 1-10FG, 0 assists, 7 points... Heck of a game! Cried that she wasn't starting as a freshman but I'm not even sure she'd come off the bench as a senior for IUP!
    Raja Fink, who many feel should be playing tremendously more minutes, really did a number on Burns defensively in that game. Raja got heavy minutes after Maria Cerro got three quick fouls. She came off the bench and scored 9 points and grabbed 7 boards -- and was a shutdown defender. She's a really physical player. Imposing, actually.

As Jess Strom said after, Cal just wore out down the stretch. They looked tired. The other thing I noticed live was once it was apparent IUP was taking control of the game, you saw a hesitancy from Cal on offense. It looked like nobody wanted to take the big shots.

Tom really, really coached a good game. They made excellent adjustments at halftime and found the weak links in that aggressive Cal defense. Lexi Griggs was fantastic minus the first 5 minutes.

The only thing I question with Tom is how he ever takes Courtney Alexander off the floor. He's using her as the '6th Man' this year but she may be the best overall player on the team. Likely not coincidental, they typically start in a hole against every good team. He then brings her in and they go on big runs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    It was great to see former IUP player Monica Burns hacking it up on Saturday. 1-10FG, 0 assists, 7 points... Heck of a game! Cried that she wasn't starting as a freshman but I'm not even sure she'd come off the bench as a senior for IUP!

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Dang ... somebody went on quite the Twitter rant on the IUP women's page today.
    Was it Antonio Brown?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP ladies survive in Edinboro, 66-63.

Hawks nearly blew a 15 point, second half lead.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Dang ... somebody went on quite the Twitter rant on the IUP women's page today.

I'm 'assuming' this was pointed toward last years much-hyped freshmen class ... which, collectively, has seen its playing time turn in to a pumpkin the past 5-6 games.

I certainly saw this upheaval coming ... actually surprised it took so long.

Ever since the debacle of a win at District of Columbia (39-34), Tom has pretty much went with a straight 6-man rotation. One of the six, however, is having a pretty rough season.

As a 'loose' follower of the women's team, I really thought last year's class was going to be full of superstars. It may still turn out to be in the coming years. However, Tom essentially burying them deep down the bench mid-way through this season probably isn't a great sign.

Tom's job is to win games. That's the bottom line. He determines who plays and who doesn't. He's also won two straight regional titles and is currently 14-1. It's his show. But, when you have a rotation player really struggling -- and four hyped-up recruits riding pine -- this kind of stuff will surface ... even on probably the most drama-free team on the planet.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

No ... couldn't find a soul to take the ride. The ride home alone is awful.

Beleive it or not ... asking non-D2 fans to drive to Erie to watch a D2 game ... isn't an easy sell. Lol
    I'm all about chasing D2 games but I have to chase them in the opposite directions of you. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Don't worry, I heckled him a bit and called him out for plopping his ass right behind the IUP bench!!!
    Gary puts the time in ... gotta give him that much. I was laughing Saturday when somebody said he's a season ticket holder at GU.

He should have asked Joe for a seat on the bench. Guest pass.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Just in case you are here, Gary Manchel just walked in in case you want to say hi lol
    Don't worry, I heckled him a bit and called him out for plopping his ass right behind the IUP bench!!!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X