Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship has played or will play five of those 10 before Jan. 1.

Two from that list released Monday afternoon have lost already this week (Virginia Union and UPJ). Either Charleston or Fairmont State is taking a loss tonight. IUP and West Chester play this weekend.

There are a lot of really strong teams in the Atlantic this year (appears mostly in the PSAC and MEC). I think everybody is taking some losses this year. Usually the top couple seeds only have 2-3 losses. That number could be 4-5 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Two from that list released Monday afternoon have lost already this week (Virginia Union and UPJ). Either Charleston or Fairmont State is taking a loss tonight. IUP and West Chester play this weekend.

There are a lot of really strong teams in the Atlantic this year (appears mostly in the PSAC and MEC). I think everybody is taking some losses this year. Usually the top couple seeds only have 2-3 losses. That number could be 4-5 this year.
      Yeah, Ship beat Virginia Union without Biss. Was kinda surprised to see them on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, Ship beat Virginia Union without Biss. Was kinda surprised to see them on the list.
        That's why I'm not completely sold on Millersville yet. They have the roster. But, they really struggled in beating a winless U-Sciences and then needed 2 OT to take down Virginia Union. I'm very curious to see how they fare against UPJ this weekend.

My impression is the sloppier the game is, it really benefits Millersville. They'd be very difficult to beat in a free-flowing, playground-type game. A structured team like UPJ should be an interesting match-up.

Comment

I know you're being cautious, IUPbig, but I just don't see any way that IUP racks up more than 1-2 losses (if any at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I know you're being cautious, IUPbig, but I just don't see any way that IUP racks up more than 1-2 losses (if any at all).
            I'd bet at 3-4 losses.

The West is too strong this year. Two games each with Mercyhurst, Cal, UPJ, Gannon ... it's a gauntlet this year. Add in a brutal crossover with Kutztown, West Chester, Millersville and Shippensburg (and the always dangerous Shepherd).

If I know one thing it's that nobody goes undefeated, every team will have some bad nights, and just about no team stays healthy all year. Add in the Covid factor and weekly testing ... who knows.

The injury bug has already hit IUP but luckily nothing too serious.

Comment

Charleston 44
              Fairmont State 30

Half

Sanders got T'd up. FSU coach went nuts. FSU defense is still back in Fairmont.

Comment

Nov. 29 / D2SIDA Women's Regional Poll

1. GANNON (5) 4-0
                2. IUP (1) 6-0
                T3 GLENVILLE STATE 4-0
                T3 CALIFORNIA 4-0
                5. SHEPHERD 5-0
                6. KUTZTOWN 6-2
                7. ELIZABETH CITY STATE 5-0
                8. CONCORD 4-1
                9. LINCOLN 4-2
                10. LOCK HAVEN 3-0
                GU ladies will abuse teams under the basket. Good point guard play and controlling turnovers will be the difference between a good, great, and special season.

Comment

I'd bet at 3-4 losses.

The West is too strong this year. Two games each with Mercyhurst, Cal, UPJ, Gannon ... it's a gauntlet this year. Add in a brutal crossover with Kutztown, West Chester, Millersville and Shippensburg (and the always dangerous Shepherd).

If I know one thing it's that nobody goes undefeated, every team will have some bad nights, and just about no team stays healthy all year. Add in the Covid factor and weekly testing ... who knows.

The injury bug has already hit IUP but luckily nothing too serious.
                  Agree - winning on the road is never easy. Going undefeated on the road against a good schedule is darn near impossible.

Comment

Charleston 87
                    Fairmont State 69

Final

Comment

Glenville State knocks off Notre Dame, 97-91.

Comment

Charleston 87
                        Fairmont State 69

Final
                        Wow. When I looked at the score (with about 4 minutes to go in the 4th), it was, like, a 3-point game. Charleston either hit the gas or simply made the free throws down the stretch. That's quite a margin to beat a team as good as Fairmont.

Comment

Glenville State knocks off Notre Dame, 97-91.
                          GSC is one of those teams that can be extremely dangerous on any given night (but will likely lack the consistency night-in-night-out that you see from the upper echelon teams). But make no mistake, no one goes into a game with the Pioneers thinking it'll be easy. Especially not on a night when John Williams has it going. That guy is a nightmare to match up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Wow. When I looked at the score (with about 4 minutes to go in the 4th), it was, like, a 3-point game. Charleston either hit the gas or simply made the free throws down the stretch. That's quite a margin to beat a team as good as Fairmont.

I watched this game. Charleston dominated the first half. They were up 14 at the break. Fairmont (Sanders, mostly) got hot in the second half and they did get within 4-5 on several occasions. Charleston then pulled away in the last 5 minutes on a series of dunks and treys.

Sanders finished with 27 but had very little help. That was the big difference. Fairmont's defense was awful for the majority of the night. Charleston hit 13 treys ... probably 11 of which were uncontested, wide-open looks. FSU also stayed in some variation of its press all 40 minutes ... the only thing it appeared to do was tire out FSU. It was extremely ineffective all night.

Here's a stat: Would you believe Charleston won by 17 points and Lamont McManus had just 2 points? His cohort under the basket, Tyler Eberhart, had a big night with 17. Charleston was very balanced -- 5 in double figures.

Just one game, but Fairmont is going to have struggles with teams built like Charleston -- big, athletic guards and big dudes underneath. FSU was noticeably agitated at the pace of play.

FT shooting was again terrible. FSU was just 11 for 20 and Charleston was 8 for 14.

Charleston had a pretty good atmosphere down there. It appeared to be a lot of students and they were very involved.

Excellent video broadcast -- camera work, announcers, etc.

Comment

Excellent video broadcast -- camera work, announcers, etc.
                              Agreed that UC traditionally does a really nice job with the broadcast.

(And thanks for the update on the game. I was busy watching a far less competitive game in Buckhannon.)

Comment

Is it me or is the MEC a bit unpredictable this year. My VULCANS win close games @ UC over two (UC&GSC) of the better teams and lose to an FSU team that gets stepped on by UC. WLU loses to NDC who barely got by WU and SHU and then the FALCONS lose to GSC. Can someone make sense of whether this is a down year or very deep parity ??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X