Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '22-'23 VULCANS MBB....

As of the end of '21-'22, the most successful CAL U MBB season in 14 years, there are several critical problems dampening the hope that the season brought. First of all is the departure of the amazing Phil Alston. It will be impossible to replace that level of talent. The best that could be hoped for would be a comparable large body with some scoring ability. Top notch rebounding and shot-blocking are highly unlikely. Second will be an on court leader and scorer to take over from Brent Pegram. My assumption has been that Zyan Collins would move into that slot but there are a lot of TP candidates who may be more natural than ZC who seems more of a scorer than a creator. Finally is keeping most of the young talent who were critical parts of this successful team. The essential six are Bryson Lucas, Zyan Collins, Keith Palek, DJ Slaughter, Gabe Jimerson and Jermaine Hall. Their most recent stats account for 130.8 minutes, 45.9 points and 26.2 rebounds per game. If any of those players appear in the TP, the rebuilding will be near impossible. Time will tell.

With a week to go for entering the TP, DS seems have persuaded all of the essential 6 to hang around (fingers crossed). He's also added two potential role players, though there's still one available that I hope can be snatched up. Knowing that some won't be there come September my updated roster has 15 players made up of 12-SO, 2-JR and 1-SR so still a young team with decent experience and no clear #1. Interested to see what else can be added.

Comment

Since the TP closed on Saturday, I'll assume the players who didn't enter will be returning in the fall unless they quit the sport or drop out of school. This is the list so far as I see it ...
      Soph---Singleton, Lucas, Palek, McQueen, Slaughter, Jimerson, Peccon, Sparks, Maxwell, Whitehead
      Jr---Berry, Hall
      Sr---Collins
      Transfers---from WCU-Polak-Soph, from UNH- McClurg-Soph

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Since the TP closed on Saturday, I'll assume the players who didn't enter will be returning in the fall unless they quit the sport or drop out of school. This is the list so far as I see it ...
        Soph---Singleton, Lucas, Palek, McQueen, Slaughter, Jimerson, Peccon, Sparks, Maxwell, Whitehead
        Jr---Berry, Hall
        Sr---Collins
        Good bet baring academic casualties.

Comment

Jr---Berry, Hall
          Sr---Collins

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
            I saw mcclurg play in hs. Great shooter, great student and high basketball iq. Thought he understood game better than teammate, Kaden Matheny who went to bowling green as a pg. Great pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
              Both potential immediate contributors but the play of Jermaine Hall Jr (career 30.1 MPG, 11.6 PPG, 7.5 RPG) will be the basis for something close to last season's success.

Comment

Both potential immediate contributors but the play of Jermaine Hall Jr (career 30.1 MPG, 11.6 PPG, 7.5 RPG) will be the basis for something close to last season's success.
                Alston got major buzz (as he should have) but Pegram was a monster. He's going to be very hard to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Alston got major buzz (as he should have) but Pegram was a monster. He's going to be very hard to replace.
                  Absolutely true but making up some portion of his game will be somewhat more achievable than filling the hole left by PA. My guess is Zyan Collins is meant to take over as DS leader and will surprise a lot of people with his leadership skills as well as his BB talents. He was essentially a mirror image of BP as far as stats go but he is 6'4" versus 5'9" for Pegram and seems to have a more manageable personality. The other possibility would be that McClurg may be the BB brain described above and teamed with ZC would give the VULCANS matching 6'4" guards. Time will tell.

Comment

Wonder if his Dad was doing some future recruiting while the family was in VB.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigShotsG...06769624588289

Comment

Interesting commitment for VULCANS MBB once again from DS favorite source private prep schools. Though he's not as fully developed as Phil Alston this young man certainly has a game that looks similar in style. Whether it works in the PSAC is an entirely different issue. Time will tell.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AntoineAr...56458372292616

Added to the 15 listed above this may be about it for incoming freshmen. Maybe another practice player or two

Just noticed while scrolling his Twitter feed, that AA was offered by SRU, SHIP, WCU and JEFFERSON. Apparently a popular selection.
                      Last edited by CALUPA69; 05-24-2022, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Interesting commitment for VULCANS MBB once again from DS favorite source private prep schools. Though he's not as fully developed as Phil Alston this young man certainly has a game that looks similar in style. Whether it works in the PSAC is an entirely different issue. Time will tell.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AntoineAr...56458372292616

Added to the 15 listed above this may be about it for incoming freshmen. Maybe another practice player or two

Just noticed while scrolling his Twitter feed, that AA was offered by SRU, SHIP, WCU and JEFFERSON. Apparently a popular selection.
                        There was some interest from Ship, but the recent addition of Markus Frank probably fills that role for them now. He's a guy I would think WCU wanted.

Comment

Berry is in the portal

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            Berry is in the portal
                            He likely was told or figured out that with Polak and McClurg on board his game time was not going to increase. Probably should have guessed that sooner.

Comment

He likely was told or figured out that with Polak and McClurg on board his game time was not going to increase. Probably should have guessed that sooner.

Danny is like Joe. If you don't make that Top 7 you're likely in trouble.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X