Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psac west rivalries

What are considered to be the best basketball rivalries in the PSAC West?

Re: Psac west rivalries

IUP vs Gannon
    IUP vs Slippery Rock
    Gannon vs Mercyhurst

Those three have been the most intense games I've been to in the PSAC.

Comment

Gannon vs. Mercyhurst.

Separated by 3 miles of road and 22 NCAA tournament appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        Gannon vs. Mercyhurst.

Separated by 3 miles of road and 22 NCAA tournament appearances.
        21 of said appearances by Gannon, IINM...
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think an underrated game that doesn't often get enough "talk" is IUP-Mercyhurst. Not to say it's the "best," but I've come to find that one growing in intensity over the last few years.

It's clear they have a formula that gives IUP trouble. Records aside, they always give IUP a game. You can tell that some of those guys for Hurst love coming into the KCAC. I don't think Joe and Gary quite like each other either. That's pretty clear.

There's been some exciting finishes between the two in the last few years as well.

-Spain with the game winner at the buzzer last year.

-Tight road PSAC quarterfinal win for IUP in 2015.

-Big upset of IUP in the PSAC quarterfinals in 2014 at the KCAC. Hurst was up big and held off a ferocious comeback late.

-Hurst beat an undefeated IUP in January a few years back.

I still pick IUP-SRU as the better rivalry game, but I honestly think IUP-Mercyhurst is more of a rivalry than IUP-Gannon. It just has all the parts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The IUP-SRU rivalry is a bit strange. Joe's won 75 percent against SRU in his tenure and Edwards really dominated the series, also. It's probably a case of the football rivalry carrying over in the eyes of the fan base. The Rock is usually the biggest gate draw of the year at IUP and tends to get the crowd the most involved/heated. The two programs couldn't be more different. I'm sure SRU looks at IUP as its big rival ... not sure the actual IUP program does the same.

I'd agree with the IUP/Mercyhurst pairing. Joe usually finds ways to get little 'private school' shots worked in at them in the newspaper and you can certainly see the rivalry with Manchel. Aside from that, the games have been pretty split over the past 5 years. Gannon seemed like the natural fit to become the big rivalry, and while the series has been a good one, it doesn't seem to have the crowd appeal that Mercyhurst and SRU bring to the table. It's seems to be a more respectful series between the fan bases for the most part. Watch how the coaches interact before games in those final couple minutes. Joe and Reilly talk like old friends. Joe and Manchel shake hands and go back to their bench areas. Very different.

The Gannon/Mercy rival is a natural being 3 miles apart from one another. Does Edinboro draw much of a 'rivalry' status with either of the Erie schools (being 17 miles away)?

I could see Cal and Seton Hill forming one. The proximity is close and the games have been very good over the past several years.

Slippery Rock and Gannon has slowly become perhaps one of the most 'hated' rivalry games in West basketball.

IUP/Cal was 'the' West rivalry from a long stretch but has fizzled out. UPJ is kind of the oddball team. While relatively new to the conference they've played many of our teams for decades. IUP had a yearly non-conference game with them at least back in to the mid-90s. Clarion was a very strong program in my era as a student.

Comment

Every rival needs a villain. SRU coach has played that role better then anyone against Gannon. The most energy I've seen this year from Gannon fans was directed at him during the game. Actually everytime his team visits fans show their animosity towards him. Iup and mercyhurst games with Gannon are always good hard fought games but I don't find their coaches as disliked as Reynolds. I would vote Gannon- SRU as the most heated rival. Saturday should be entertaining.

Comment

Years ago there was a fun rivalry between IUP and Cal men. I'm hoping it will return in the not so distant future.

Comment

The Gannon / Mercyhurst rivalry is bigger than the games with Edinboro because they have a longer history. Gannon and Mercy have been in the same league and have played each other twice since the mid 1980's. During the GLIAC years of 1995-2008, Gannon wasn't even in the same region with Edinboro.

Another smaller reason why GU / Mercy > GU / Boro is that both schools are private Catholic schools.

Gannon / Edinboro is still a bigger game than most but not as big as Gannon / Mercyhurst.

GU / IUP and GU / SRU are rivalry-esque games largely because the stakes are usually pretty high when the teams play and they have had their share of close contests.

Comment

Interesting spin on the conversation ...

What is the toughest road venue in the PSAC West?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Interesting spin on the conversation ...

What is the toughest road venue in the PSAC West?

Can we collectively pass on this question? Seriously.. It depends who the visiting team is. It's well documented. Any time IUP goes anywhere, the gym is packed. If the only game I ever watched in college basketball was IUP at Seton Hill last year, I would tell you that Seton Hill was a darn tough road venue. What's that place look like when Clarion rolls into town though?

People say Gannon is a tough venue, but I only ever know of what it's like there during IUP games. Again, what's that place like when Cal or Seton Hill steps on the court?

I went up to Slippery Rock twice in college for IUP games. Good atmosphere. I've watched other SRU games on their webcast.. crickets.

Even at IUP... SRU, Gannon, and Mercyhurst draw well and generally get the crowd involved, but the KCAC is just as dead as the Convocation Center when anyone else rolls into town.

I just don't know if there's honestly a good answer to this. Does anybody actually draw consistently well enough along with crowd involvement that we can say is the toughest road environment in the PSAC? Interesting question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well ... let's put the factual numbers to the test. I researched the home winning percentages of the 'Top 4' programs in the West since the 2010-11 season. You may be somewhat surprised by the numbers.

*Season records below represent the program 'home record' during those respective years (as of this morning for current season). Post-season games are counted.

TEAM 10-11 11-12 12-13 13-14 14-15 15-16 16-17 OVERALL HOME WINNING %
                        IUP 15-1 14-2 17-1 12-3 16-1 14-2 13-2 101-12 .894
                        Slippery Rock 10-2 11-4 12-2 13-3 13-1 10-4 8-4 77-20 .794
                        Mercyhurst 10-5 11-4 12-3 9-4 12-2 10-4 5-6 69-28 .711
                        Gannon 11-4 8-7 12-4 13-3 14-3 6-8 9-3 73-32 .695

Personally, I generally think the above venues probably don't play a large part but maybe they do more than we realize. The KCAC has a way of psyching some teams out - from the banners to the D1 arena atmosphere. Gannon, when even 60% full, can be deafening and the crowd is right on top of you. Slippery Rock, for whatever reason, is just tough in Morrow Field House. I can't offer any input on Mercyhurst.

Back in the 'old days' ... Cal was extremely difficult to beat inside Hamer Hall as was Clarion inside Tippin.

I'd also agree ... IUP's trip to Seton Hill last year was a complete hornets nest. If they got up like that for every game they'd never lose in Greensburg.

I'd have to say the 'worst' home-court advantages ... UPJ by far, then Boro and Cal. Cal's venue is fantastic ... but 230 people spread over 6,000 seats ...
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-15-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                          Every rival needs a villain. SRU coach has played that role better then anyone against Gannon. The most energy I've seen this year from Gannon fans was directed at him during the game. Actually everytime his team visits fans show their animosity towards him. Iup and mercyhurst games with Gannon are always good hard fought games but I don't find their coaches as disliked as Reynolds. I would vote Gannon- SRU as the most heated rival. Saturday should be entertaining.

A Slimey Pebble coach as villain?

You don't say!!!! LOL!!!!

I Am The IUPNation, and I Always Approve This Message!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X