Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst

Anyone hearing crazy news out of Erie.... sorry for being cryptic but it seems so absurd so trying to minimize looking like an idiot if and when it comes out that it is not true.... but it would entail Hurst leaving the PSAC amongst other things...................

Originally posted by bvillejoe View Post
    Anyone hearing crazy news out of Erie.... sorry for being cryptic but it seems so absurd so trying to minimize looking like an idiot if and when it comes out that it is not true.... but it would entail Hurst leaving the PSAC amongst other things...................
    That rumor goes around almost yearly.

Maybe it will actually be true for once. Maybe not.

Comment

They would need a good landing spot and I don't see anything better. The MEC has a vacancy but that's not an upgrade in most sports and increases their travel costs. Unless they are bumping back down to D3.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        They would need a good landing spot and I don't see anything better. The MEC has a vacancy but that's not an upgrade in most sports and increases their travel costs. Unless they are bumping back down to D3.
        Many think they 'fit' better in the GMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by bvillejoe View Post
          Division I?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Division I?
            That would be shocking - and a stretch. Mercyhurst's facilities (football and basketball) are awful (and very tiny).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That would be shocking - and a stretch. Mercyhurst's facilities (football and basketball) are awful (and very tiny).
              I think they’re actually solid- relative to the league I’d presume they are going into. No worse (I’d say better) than Lemoyne, St Francis, Wagner, etc.

Comment

I think they’re actually solid- relative to the league I’d presume they are going into. No worse (I’d say better) than Lemoyne, St Francis, Wagner, etc.
                If that's the case I think they'll regret it. That league is terrible.

Comment

Division I?
                  No way. Mercyhurst doesn't have the cash to do D1. Or the facilities. Even the NEC expects an arena instead of a field house. Hurst has nice, smaller facilities for a D2 school.

I'd be really surprised if they move because there just isn't an attractive option out there. Travel is such a huge factor at this level and there's no less expensive option than the PSAC West. Professionally speaking, any school in this region trying to stretch to make D1 happen is out of their minds.

Comment

No way. Mercyhurst doesn't have the cash to do D1. Or the facilities. Even the NEC expects an arena instead of a field house. Hurst has nice, smaller facilities for a D2 school.

I'd be really surprised if they move because there just isn't an attractive option out there. Travel is such a huge factor at this level and there's no less expensive option than the PSAC West. Professionally speaking, any school in this region trying to stretch to make D1 happen is out of their minds.
                    I have no idea if Division I is what bvillejoe was suggesting the rumor is, but another Division II league doesn't make sense, and Division III doesn't make any sense to me since they already have Division I hockey- I don't think that'd even be allowed.

The travel I agree with- their travel budgets would become astronomical. PSAC travel is about as cheap as you can get. Does anyone know how the school is doing financially? That would be my thing- coaching salaries, # of positions, etc would all increase. Only way you are increasing revenue is through basketball and maybe football?

Facilities though, I completely disagree. Nobody in that league has a nice facility for basketball. They've let in LeMoyne and Stonehill in the last few years who have worse facilities than Mercyhurst. The NEC is on life support, they aren't concerned about whether a gym holds 1,200 or 3,500.

Comment

Division I?
                      That was the rumor I heard but 8th hand knowledge so not very credible

Comment

Huh...I was told a couple of weeks ago that Hurst would never even consider leaving the PSAC. If they do leave, the question then becomes what does Gannon do? They are kind of a package deal...at least thats way it has seemed.

I wonder about the timing. Let's see...what area DII conference is losing a team and is looking for a replacement??? Not saying that is the move but absent any other information, it seems the most likely.

Wonder what sort of ripples a Hurst and/or Gannon departure might cause within the PSAC? Obviously in the past the PSAC has entised teams from other conferences to fill their holes so clearly they would try that again. But what if they failed to find an interested party/parties? How would the realign their east)west divisions or would they break that down completely?
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 03-19-2024, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          Huh...I was told a couple of weeks ago that Hurst would never even consider leaving the PSAC. If they do leave, the question then becomes what does Gannon do? They are kind of a package deal...at least it seems that way it has seemed.

I wonder about the timing. Let's see...what area DII conference is losing a team and is looking for a replacement??? Not saying that is the move but absent any other information, it seems the most likely.
                          I don't think this is a D2 move. All the gossip says they are moving to D1.

Comment

The NEC gyms are largely average D2 gyms.

St. Francis, for instance, is basically a fieldhouse gym with some chair-backs.

Le Moyne is tiny like the MAC at Mercyhurst.

Their football 'stadiums' are also on par with the crappy PSAC facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think this is a D2 move. All the gossip says they are moving to D1.
                              Could be...But I note that there is one DII conference in the area that is actively looking. May be coincidental timing but then again...

So what would losing Hurst, were ever they go, do to the PSAC? Would there be a "rush for the exits" among some other teams (Gannon, Seton Hill, etc)? Would the PSAC attempt to entice a member of another conference to join like they have in the past? Do they try and convince a D3 in PA to make the move to DII? If they are unsuccessful bring in a replacement, how would that effect the current east/west breakdown?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X