Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There is not a PASSHE school that I'm aware of other than Cheyney, which is no longer a member of the PSAC, that has completely shuttered its athletic program.
    PASSHE and PSAC public school Cheney closed down their NCAA intercollegiate athletic program. Six other PASSHE and PSAC member public schools have been merged into two to attempt to stave off closure. One of those six Mansfield shuttered their NCAA football program several years ago to cut costs.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The only mild issue this very hypothetical Mercyhurst departure would cause is an uneven number of football schools. UPJ and Mansfield don't have football programs.

If the PSAC did want to add a football-playing school, it wouldn't have any issues doing so.
      Uneven scheduling in a league that has a 7 team division and an 8 team one is difficult if you want to anything remotely similar between the two divisions. It's almost easier to have both divisions at 7 teams.

Comment

I've heard rumors they're trying for D1 and looking to join Horizon League following Northern Kentuckys steps.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

PASSHE and PSAC public school Cheney closed down their NCAA intercollegiate athletic program. Six other PASSHE and PSAC member public schools have been merged into two to attempt to stave off closure. One of those six Mansfield shuttered their NCAA football program several years ago to cut costs.
          I had already said Cheyney shut down their program. No other school has "completely shuttered" their program as Mansfield still competes in several other sports. As of now, all six of the campuses that have merged still maintain athletic programs. I'm very aware of what is going on with PASSHE schools.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
            I've heard rumors they're trying for D1 and looking to join Horizon League following Northern Kentuckys steps.
            Hopefully that's a misguided rumor. There's just no way. They absolutely don't have the facilities for the Horizon nor do I think they have the money to elevate all sports to D1. I wonder who they would join for football? I guess maybe the NEC would take them as an associate member.

Comment

I had already said Cheyney shut down their program. No other school has "completely shuttered" their program as Mansfield still competes in several other sports. As of now, all six of the campuses that have merged still maintain athletic programs. I'm very aware of what is going on with PASSHE schools.
              Correct. Mansfield just demoted football from NCAA to club.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Hopefully that's a misguided rumor. There's just no way. They absolutely don't have the facilities for the Horizon nor do I think they have the money to elevate all sports to D1. I wonder who they would join for football? I guess maybe the NEC would take them as an associate member.
                Years ago, I had a business relationship with a couple members of the Board of Trustees at Mercyhurst University. At that time, there were a couple of Trustees that were very outspoken at the fact that the College was supporting a Division One hockey program, to the point that one major donor was threatening to withhold future pledges. There are so many elements to making a move of an entire sports program to Division One that it just a bit mindboggling. Would student enrollment increase enough to offset the increased costs of Division One athletics? How are you going to fund the capital costs of the necessary improvements in facilities? What is the impact on future capital campaigns and tuition rates? Is this the most efficient usage of the college's limited resources and does it support the overall mission of the University?

Although the Mercyhurst Board has changed greatly over the past years, I would really be quite surprised if this rumor has legs. Actually, I would be stunned if Mercyhurst took this step with all of the inherent risks.

Comment

Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Years ago, I had a business relationship with a couple members of the Board of Trustees at Mercyhurst University. At that time, there were a couple of Trustees that were very outspoken at the fact that the College was supporting a Division One hockey program, to the point that one major donor was threatening to withhold future pledges. There are so many elements to making a move of an entire sports program to Division One that it just a bit mindboggling. Would student enrollment increase enough to offset the increased costs of Division One athletics? How are you going to fund the capital costs of the necessary improvements in facilities? What is the impact on future capital campaigns and tuition rates? Is this the most efficient usage of the college's limited resources and does it support the overall mission of the University?

Although the Mercyhurst Board has changed greatly over the past years, I would really be quite surprised if this rumor has legs. Actually, I would be stunned if Mercyhurst took this step with all of the inherent risks.
                  All great points.

I also wonder if this rumor is actually a rumor anywhere aside from this message board.

Comment

Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Fortunately there are other D1 hockey programs within reach for Mercyhurst along the I-90 corridor plus RMU two hours south. But yeah, D1 hockey probably costs $1 million a year for both programs plus the cost of the unique facility needs with tons of maintenance. So just as expensive as football.

All of the NWPA schools are struggling. Gannon is only staying afloat through its exploding health professions campus in Florida. Our core region has a decline in school age population that outpaces the nation. Edinboro clearly down, Mercyhurst is all over the place, even Penn State Behrend is down. Beyond, Allegheny and Thiel are down. So is Pitt Bradford. Its a tough region to exist in economically. If Erie Insurance leaves that region will look like Youngstown or Johnstown. Schools have to be VERY deliberate about all those extra programs they have - especially if they don't look good on the profit/loss sheet.

Comment

You should probably reread my post. I didn't say all troubled PASSHE/PSAC's had completely shuttered their athletic programs. What I said was:

"For comparison sake, over 1/3 (35%) of PSAC public schools have either completely shuttered their athletic program in an effort to save themselves from closing or been forced into mergers to try and keep the creditors from nailing a notice of public auction to their front doors."

Show me were my statement is wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

All great points.

I also wonder if this rumor is actually a rumor anywhere aside from this message board.
                        Wouldn't be the first and probably not the last rumors that were nothing more than message board speculation.

Also could be that Hurst has been approached and/or is considering a move but ultimately decides to do nothing.

If we each had a buck for every "I have it on good authority that _______ is just waiting the Presidents signature and will happen any day now" message board post...Well, we wouldn't be rich but we could make a couple of mortgage payments!

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I was just looking and NKU basketball court only holds about 200 more than Mercyhurst, so not like they're terribly smaller.

Comment

I was just looking and NKU basketball court only holds about 200 more than Mercyhurst, so not like they're terribly smaller.
                            Truist Arena easily seats 10,000.

It's big

Comment

Scratch that.. new arena has 8600

Comment

Scratch that.. new arena has 8600
                                Smallest in horizon league appears to be 4500.. so yeah Hurst is ridiculously smaller

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X