Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Region brackets

Let this WL fan weigh in, and counter balance some of the other pro-WL fans in this thread.

Honestly think any of the 5, maybe 6 (yes you WJ) can win the region... I think we put too much stock in how a team did last game or in the conf tourney... I think IUP beats Kutz, no problem. I think IUP pulls the semi-shocker over Fairmont... I do agree with Chevydude in that Fairmont doesn't play smartly in close games, and their shooting is inconsistent...

And I can't wrap my head around WL / WJ / Ship triumvirate on bottom half...Flip a coin...WL is favored over WJ and should win, but no gimme...and Ship is very solid....WL has some duds on their resume --all 3 games with Glenville (who isn't' great), loss to Concord... And some games they were PUTRID, or should I say "wack", in shooting the ball...7/42 from 3 vs WJ.... I like that they've been here before, but a good big man like Sleva can neutralize WL a bit....

I still say IUP-WL in regional final...but wouldn't be surprised if it was WJ - Kutz!!!

Comment

I wish that the D2 tournament could at least go to 4 regions by just combining some of the regions based on geography. Would love to see multiple teams from the same conference have the opportunity to make the Elite 8.

Also have to remember that in years past, the Atlantic region was no where close to being one of the toughest regions. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Don't forget that "West Liberty's players' IQs are way above its competitors so they should advance to the Elite 8."

Without a doubt the best post combination in the history of this message board ...

No disrespect, though.
        As a WLU fan, my minimum expectation for every season is to at least get to the Elite 8. I think the WLU players do have a very high collective and individual basketball IQ. While I might not be as brash as Chevy, I think that WLU should be expected to make it that far and if they don't, yes, it will be a failure.

Now that said, I do believe there are three teams that I wouldn't be surprised if they won the regional and two teams that I would be surprised but not completely shocked if they won.

If WLU is playing like they can and have this year, I don't think there is an Atlantic team that can beat them. The problem with them is that they seem equally capable of throwing up a real brick of a game (or several back to back games) for no apparent reason. On those nights, I don't think there is anyone in the field that couldn't beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
          The facility holds 4000. I dont find an issue w tickets. What i find sad is 5 of the top 10 teams in the nation reside in the Atlantic region. Some teamselsewhere are lucky cuz 2 of these teams could win it all. The regionsshould cross because west lib and fairmont st and iup are wayyyyy above anyone else in this region and maychers in the nation. Joke thst wilson put west lib at 3rd in region. That dude is clearly off his game which is why his school is wack. Should not be in a committee yet a elementary physed class
          How can we really tell that the Atlantic Region has 5 of the top 10 teams in the nation when Division II teams play their entire schedule in their league or very close to home?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
            How can we really tell that the Atlantic Region has 5 of the top 10 teams in the nation when Division II teams play their entire schedule in their league or very close to home?
            We can't, is the answer. As you know, it's one of the follies of the D2 Top 20 pool...not enough games across regions to get a real flavor for the depth...As we talked on the board...it could mean the atlantic is really good at the top, and really bad at the bottom...or may be it is that good...and with the way the D2 bracket is set, there's still no way of knowing bc they will cannibalize each other.

If the Atlantic rep loses in the E8, other region's posters will say, "over rated", but even if they do lose in the E8, it won't prove that it wasn't the deepest region....

The only way we could tell is if, the 5-6 atlantic studs were scattered amongst the other regions, and see how they do vs. other regions...but we know that isn't happening...

Comment

Isn't this like the 3rd time now that Cal has to use Hamer instead of the Angelo-Dome to host the Regional? I know a lot of us fans prefer Hamer regardless but it does seem kind of odd to have that coliseum there and host the tournament in the throwback gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                It's like the people that say "the championship game was in the semifinals" and then demand that the NCAA reseed to INSURE the most worthy teams (in their eyes) are given an easier route to the finals. There is no way of positively knowing that the best two teams met in the semis...but still they clucked and ultimately, the NCAA bowed to them and changed the seeding. Same thing here, no way of truly knowing that the best five teams in the nation are in the Atlantic Region, but a case can be made that they are.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  It's like the people that say "the championship game was in the semifinals" and then demand that the NCAA reseed to INSURE the most worthy teams (in their eyes) are given an easier route to the finals. There is no way of positively knowing that the best two teams met in the semis...but still they clucked and ultimately, the NCAA bowed to them and changed the seeding. Same thing here, no way of truly knowing that the best five teams in the nation are in the Atlantic Region, but a case can be made that they are.
                  Did you watch any Elite 8 games last year? How about the National Championship game? I think most people who did watch would agree that Lincoln Memorial and Augustana were clearly the top two teams, and having the best two teams play for the title is the best case scenario for any tournament.

Comment

It's been an interesting decade in the Atlantic Region. Three national title game appearances, several deep runs and a slew of memorable Regional weekends. Three of the past seven seasons the winner of the Atlantic has made the National Final.

A quick re-cap of the current decade:

YEAR CHAMPION HIGHLIGHTS
                    2010 IUP over WL (84-72) IUP eventually lost in National Final to Cal Poly Pomona, 65-53.
                    2011 WL over IUP (89-86) WL lost in Final Four to BYU-Hawaii
                    2012 WL over Shaw (89-78) WL loss Elite Eight to Stonehill, 91-90
                    2013 WL over IUP (86-63) WL loss in Final Four
                    2014 WL over East Stroudburg (89-82) Incredible Regional ... close games all the way through including memorable 86-85 Double OT WL over IUP in Round 2. WL eventually lost in National Final to Central Missouri, 84-77
                    2015 IUP over WL (77-74) IUP eventually lost in National Final to Florida Southern, 72-62
                    2016 WL over Kutztown (85-64) WL instant classic with Lincoln Memorial in Final Four loss, 103-102. Regional also saw No. 8 seed Mercyhurst upset host Wheeling Jesuit.

Comment

LM beat WLU by one. "clearly" may be a stretch.

Comment

Apologizing to all the "IUP" names in this thread...i was a bit heated how this regional play is set up and seeded...but clearly reading back i was being "wack" .... haha. will be interesting to discuss the final outcome by wednesday morning along with tomorrow night and Sunday night

Comment

LOL ...

Chevy that was good stuff. Nobody takes these messages personally.

It made for good string material.

Much like being out after midnight ... nothing good happens on a message board after 1am.

Just hope Ivan Drago (Sleva) doesn't come looking for you. He's far too egotistical not to read this crap.

It's going to be a great weekend.

Comment

Hahaha. Sleva...sounds like a foreign WWE name... hope not to meet him lol

Comment

Winner/score predictions for tomorrow's games??

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
                                Winner/score predictions for tomorrow's games??

I rarely make predictions. But I anticipate 3 of the 4 being close. I think Ship wins by the biggest margin tomorrow. Bowie and Fairmont will be closer than the experts think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X