Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Region brackets

Well since no one else has done it, here's our Men's Atlantic Region matchups.

Fairmont's hosting, the first games are on Saturday, March 11th, semis will be the next day and the regional finals are on Tuesday, March 14th. I'll update with game times once they get posted.

1. Fairmont St. (29-2) 6 PM
    8. Bowie St. (16-14)

4. IUP (27-3) 8:30 PM
    5. Kutztown (26-3)

2. Ship (26-3) 2:30 PM
    7. Virginia Union (22-7)

3. West Lib (28-3) 95
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (23-7) 96 OT

Last edited by CardinalAlum; 03-11-2017, 02:29 PM. Reason: Added Final scores

Re: Atlantic Region brackets

I might as well post the women's pairings while I'm at it.

Cal U's hosting. Opening round is Friday, March 10th. Second round is the next day (Saturday) and the regional finals are on Monday, March 13th.

1. Cal U (28-3) 88
    8. Glenville State (24-5) 86

4. Shippensburg (24-6) 51
    5. Mercyhurst (23-7) 63

2. IUP (23-6) 59
    7. Johnson C Smith (22-7) 55

3. Virginia Union (23-4) 66
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (25-6) 58

Second Round (March 11th)

1. Cal U 7:30 PM
    5. MercyHurst

2. IUP 5 PM
    3. Virginia Union
    Last edited by CardinalAlum; 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM. Reason: Added Final Scores

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalAlum View Post
      Well since no one else has done it, here's our Men's Atlantic Region matchups.

Fairmont's hosting, the first games are on Saturday, March 11th, semis will be the next day and the regional finals are on Tuesday, March 14th. I'll update with game times once they get posted.

1. Fairmont St. (29-2)
      8. Bowie St. (16-14)

4. IUP (27-3)
      5. Kutztown (26-3)

2. Ship (26-3)
      7. Virginia Union (22-7)

3. West Lib (28-3)
      6. Wheeling Jesuit (23-7)
      I'm not a big fan of having Wheeling-West Liberty Part IV in the opening round, but if that's how the numbers fell, then so be it. If you take the overall body of work, I would've flipped West Lib and IUP at 3 and 4 to avoid the conference rematches in the opening round (though, IUP and Kutztown only faced off once this season, unlike WJ-WL).
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I expected West Lib to be 2 and Ship 3 if for no other reason than to avoid WLU-WJU part 4. Ship beating IUP twice at the KCAC was probably the difference.

Comment

My last comment on the seedings....I think WL should have been 2 and Ship 3....

WL beat Fairmont 2x, Ship beat IUP 2x. Advantage WL bc Fairmont is #1.
          WL beat WJ 2x, Ship beat Kutz 2x. Advantage Ship bc Kutz is better than WJ.
          Concord beat WL, Millersville beat Ship. Both bad losses. Slight adv to WL bc Concord is 11-17 and M'ville is 9-17.
          And while neither team played a murderous Non Conf schedule, Ship should absolutely be penalized for playing two puke PSU teams in the beginning of the season... So Adv WL.

I think WL deserved to be #2.

Enough of the sourgrapes, time to play the games that you have scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
            My last comment on the seedings....I think WL should have been 2 and Ship 3....

WL beat Fairmont 2x, Ship beat IUP 2x. Advantage WL bc Fairmont is #1.
            WL beat WJ 2x, Ship beat Kutz 2x. Advantage Ship bc Kutz is better than WJ.
            Concord beat WL, Millersville beat Ship. Both bad losses. Slight adv to WL bc Concord is 11-17 and M'ville is 9-17.
            And while neither team played a murderous Non Conf schedule, Ship should absolutely be penalized for playing two puke PSU teams in the beginning of the season... So Adv WL.

I think WL deserved to be #2.

Enough of the sourgrapes, time to play the games that you have scheduled.
            The only point that could possibly be nit picked here is Ship's wins over IUP we're both at IUP whereas West Lib beat Fairmont at home and on a neutral court. Everything else is right on. Throw in the fact that Ship lost to West Chester which isn't a great loss either.

The good news for WL is that no matter how tough MEC teams play them throughout the season, they fold like cheap tents when they face the Toppers in the regional. So WL is the lock of the tournament in round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              The only point that could possibly be nit picked here is Ship's wins over IUP we're both at IUP whereas West Lib beat Fairmont at home and on a neutral court. Everything else is right on. Throw in the fact that Ship lost to West Chester which isn't a great loss either.

The good news for WL is that no matter how tough MEC teams play them throughout the season, they fold like cheap tents when they face the Toppers in the regional. So WL is the lock of the tournament in round 1.
              That's another point that should have been in WLU's favor, result vs common opponent. WLU beat WCU while Ship lost to them.

Comment

Also worth noting that were you are seeded will have an effect should you make the final 4. As a #3 seed, it is quite possible that the Toppers would be reseeded to face the team the NCAA has designated as the likely NC...as a #2 seed they would quite possibly be paired in the other semi for an "easier" game vs the presumptive runner up.

Of course, that presumes the Toppers make it that far. Considering how they shot against Fairmont, that is far form a certainty.

Comment

I don't know a thing about Virginia Union's team, but I'm not penciling Ship into round 2 just yet. They have the talent to win the region and picked up 2 excellent wins this weekend, but in the last several years it hasn't been uncommon to see a 2 or 3 seed stumble in the 1st round. Ship's guys are going to spend the week getting patted on the back and told how great they are. They're going to see a matchup with mighty West Liberty looming in round 2. And this is their first go-round in the NCAAs. I'm rooting for them but they'd better be careful.

Comment

I don't know a thing about Virginia Union's team, but I'm not penciling Ship into round 2 just yet. They have the talent to win the region and picked up 2 excellent wins this weekend, but in the last several years it hasn't been uncommon to see a 2 or 3 seed stumble in the 1st round. Ship's guys are going to spend the week getting patted on the back and told how great they are. They're going to see a matchup with mighty West Liberty looming in round 2. And this is their first go-round in the NCAAs. I'm rooting for them but they'd better be careful.

Honestly that's a really good point. Real similar to the Gannon-SRU matchup 2 years ago.

That team plays with a cocky edge to them. It'll be interesting to see how they approach this weekend and how they perform as the team everybody is talking about. If I'm not mistaken, most on here were down on Ship going into last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would guess Sleva is already getting ready to declare for the NBA Draft and scouting Super Agents ... probably wearing a 'Lottery Pick' shirt on campus today.

Comment

You make a good and cruel point by reminding me of second-seeded Gannon's loss to Slippery Rock in the first round in 2015 right after winning the PSAC championship.

I would say that the top three seeds all win less than 50% of the time.

Comment

One other question ... I was surprised to see East Stroudsburg coach as the chair of the men's basketball committee. Don't athletic directors typically hold this role? What if his team played on Saturday or Sunday? How would he perform both roles?

Comment

Fairmont got upset by VA State last year...it was a 6 over 3, if I recall correctly.

There will be an average of one upset per region in the first round I surmise...

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalAlum View Post
                              I might as well post the women's pairings while I'm at it.

Cal U's hosting. Opening round is Friday, March 10th. Second round is the next day (Saturday) and the regional finals are on Monday, March 13th.

1. Cal U (28-3)
                              8. Glenville State (24-5)

4. Shippensburg (24-6)
                              5. Mercyhurst (23-7)

2. IUP (23-6)
                              7. Johnson C Smith (22-7)

3. Virginia Union (23-4)
                              6. Wheeling Jesuit (25-6)
                              Site will be HAMER HALL if anyone wants to know.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X