Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adidas D1 Issues

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Moorhead was joking, yes. But there was something presidents voted on, which allowed for the Augie class to be so loaded. Nothing under the table, so don't worried. But I'd expect this class to be close to the norm for Augie going forward.
    Right. You've brought up this new rule a handful of times now, and I think I have a decent understanding of it (along with BuffaloChip's added detail, which was also helpful). I just wasn't picking up on whether or not you realized Moorhead was joking about paying players under the table.

As far as this new rule goes, it's convenient as an Augie fan that it will benefit schools like Augie, but it's not as if the Vikes weren't already doing ok before this rule was voted on. Still will be interesting to see the long-term impact.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      Right. You've brought up this new rule a handful of times now, and I think I have a decent understanding of it (along with BuffaloChip's added detail, which was also helpful). I just wasn't picking up on whether or not you realized Moorhead was joking about paying players under the table.

As far as this new rule goes, it's convenient as an Augie fan that it will benefit schools like Augie, but it's not as if the Vikes weren't already doing ok before this rule was voted on. Still will be interesting to see the long-term impact.
      I couldn't remember if I had or not...

I get the general principle of why the NCAA would put in a rule like that, but it certainly does help the more stable programs, as BC said.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        Right. If a school, say Grand Valley, has a "Challenge Scholarship Fund," that throws off enough money to fund 25 scholarships, those scholarships can go to anyone. The criteria to award these scholarships is at the direction of the grantors. For example, if the scholarship is open to any incoming or current student who has a 3.0 HS GPA and has demonstrated participation in school activities it can be awarded to any student who qualifies. Grand Valley could, theoretically, fund 25 more football scholarships if they find 25 football players, incoming or already enrolled that qualify under those standards. It is definitely geared to helping the "large and successful" D2 programs who have financial stability and a good fan and funding basis. Grand Valley could award it's 36 NCAA approved grants and add another 25 "Challenge Scholarships" that just happen to all go to football players.

Instead of funding the school's athletic scholarship fund, donors could divert scholarship giving or endowment giving to this "Challenge Scholarship Fund" and add more schoolies to football or BB or whatever.
        Augustana is fortunate to have many academic scholarships for accomplished students. I have a hard time believing that AU would divert scholarships for more academic deserving student to athletes for the sake of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          Augustana is fortunate to have many academic scholarships for accomplished students. I have a hard time believing that AU would divert scholarships for more academic deserving student to athletes for the sake of winning.
          I don't think what he's saying is that any scholarships would be "diverted" away from deserving students.

If I understood correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong, BuffaloChip or Stanger), the point is that these are scholarships that are open and available to students who qualify. So essentially, if people put money toward a fund that applies to student athletes who participate in football and have a 3.0 HS GPA, then football players get that funding. So yes, a student who doesn't play football might not get that scholarship, but the important thing to consider is that the scholarship itself might not exist if the donor couldn't give it with those specifications in mind. So it's not a matter of stealing a scholarship that would've otherwise gone to a non-athlete student. It's a matter of that scholarship not ever existing in the first place for a non-athlete student (if those were the donor's wishes).

Is that an accurate breakdown, fellas, or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            I couldn't remember if I had or not...

I get the general principle of why the NCAA would put in a rule like that, but it certainly does help the more stable programs, as BC said.
            This isn't an accusation, simply me trying to better understand your stance on this... it feels like you find this to be some sort of unfair advantage for Augie and schools like Augie (just trying to read the tone of your posts on the subject, which, obviously, is always risky when it comes to reading text online rather than talking face-to-face). It's not as if SMSU can't take advantage of this opportunity, right?

Comment

This isn't an accusation, simply me trying to better understand your stance on this... it feels like you find this to be some sort of unfair advantage for Augie and schools like Augie (just trying to read the tone of your posts on the subject, which, obviously, is always risky when it comes to reading text online rather than talking face-to-face). It's not as if SMSU can't take advantage of this opportunity, right?
              My wife received a small nursing scholarship from an Augustana alumna based on the premise she works in SD for at least 2 years. The thinking that a number of affluent individuals would raise a large amount of scholarship money for football players with high GPA's is remote at best. We are not the Alabama's, Ohio State and Texas of D2 as MrA has stated many times.

Comment

I'm still not completely read up on it the whole subject. I don't know about this creating scholarships thing. The only thing I've really heard is that non-athletic scholarship money will not count towards the 10-scholarship limit. So yes, any program could take advantage of it, but certain programs are in a better situation financially to take immediate advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                  What does everyone think about the recent issues. How far down will the FBI go? Anyone suspect shady issues in D2?.
                  I think you can see that the consensus is no interference here....move along lol
                  I hope this thing ets settled quickly although I know it won't. Good luck to all those involved because this will be a doozy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X