X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorhead123
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

I expect Hansen to be very good at Augustana. Saw him in a few AAU games last year. Very good get for your squad.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Double posting, but since this is Augie news, this is the place to post it. A handful of recent commitments have netted the Vikings 3 of the top 5 South Dakota 2018 talents (according to our esteemed friends at the Prep Hoops Network):

I may jump back in later and throw in highlight videos if they have 'em. Either way, I've heard several good things about all three players and it's definitely a bright future and already a very strong 2018 recruiting class for the Vikes.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Texas Tom will find out early his teams strengths or weakness's. Pretty exciting, hope games will be streamed online.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

No full schedule released yet, but it appears the Vikes get to play in a pretty cool early-season non-conference tournament featuring 7 other usually strong D2 squads:

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/7/25/me...-november.aspx

Men's basketball invited to compete in 2017 Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Classic in Novemberwww.thefordcenter.com.

"It is a real honor to be a part of the 2017 Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Classic," Augustana head coach Tom Billeter said. "Our players will be guests at the induction ceremony of some phenomenal former Division II players, as well as legendary coach Don Meyer, which will be a memorable event for all involved. In addition to the ceremonies, the two teams we are competing against have been traditionally two of the best programs in the country and we are really looking forward to this opportunity."

The SCB Hall of Fame Induction ceremony will precede the Hall of Fame Classic, as the induction ceremony will take place on Thursday, November 2 at 6:30 p.m. at the Doubletree in Evansville. The 12-member Hall of Fame Class of 2017 was announced recently, and consists of the following inductees: Zelmo Beaty (Prairie View A&M), Walt Frazier (Southern Illinois), Emil Liston (Baker/NAIA), Bob Love (Southern), Coach Don Meyer (Hamline, David Lipscomb & Northern State), Coach Dave Robbins (Virginia Union), Jack Sikma (Illinois Wesleyan), Elmore Smith (Kentucky State), Jim Spivey (Southeastern Oklahoma), Rico Swanson (Bethel, IN), George Tinsley (Kentucky Wesleyan) and Al Tucker (Oklahoma Baptist). Tables and tickets will be available through the Evansville Sports Corporation (www.hofclassic.com
    Sounds like a really cool event for the Vikes to be a part of.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Just came across this on Twitter. Congrats to Augie Men's Basketball grads Adam Beyer and Austin Saugstad on their academic achievement as Vikings.

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/7/18/me...ors-court.aspx

NABC HONORS COURT

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    OK- did Florida Atlantic steal this from Augie? Or the G's from Bemidji? Or both?

From Reddit CFB:

FAU is using a motto "Owl In," which makes sense, but the hashtag is #owlin, which comes off as:
    🎵they see me owlin', they hatin'...🎵
    It was probably a group effort. "We like the 'Augie All-In' thing they do in South Dakota...but let's make it 'owl-in'...but then how do we make it cool? Maybe there are some horrible, terrible rappers from Bemidji, Minnesota we can get some inspiration from..."

In my head, that's how the entire conversation went.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    OK- did Florida Atlantic steal this from Augie? Or the G's from Bemidji? Or both?

From Reddit CFB:

FAU is using a motto "Owl In," which makes sense, but the hashtag is #owlin, which comes off as:
    Patrollin'...they trynna catch me flyin' dirty

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

From Reddit CFB:

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I stand corrected. I guess some of those guys do a better job of hyping these tournaments up on Twitter and everything than I realized.

To be clear, I knew that a number of those top of the top 17u Minnesota AAU teams like Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota weren't in this. But I got the impression that several of the 16u teams we're pretty solid. I guess I'm mistaken. I suppose those programs all have 16u teams too, so I should have realized the competition probably wasn't quite as strong as I was thinking.
    The way it seems to be working for MN AAU, at the 17U level, is that Howard Pulley and the top D1 Minnesota teams have the high major D1 players. If you want to play in the Big Ten, etc. you should probably play for one of those two teams. The top Comets and Fury teams generally have a few D1 guys (more mid-major guys) and numerous D2 guys. Comets typically 2-4 metro kids with remainder northern outstate kids. Fury typically more metro kids and some southern outstate kids. Then there are always two or three other teams each year (e.g., MN powerhouse this year, MN warriors last year, etc) that are very good (kids have played AAU together for years) and have numerous scholarship level players. I would bet those top 5-7 teams probably have 75%+ of the scholarships granted to players over the past 5-10 years. MN firmly on radar of college coaches today. Wasn't necessarily that way 5-10 years ago. I'm guessing a strong class has 35-50 scholarship kids. A week class 20-30 scholarship kids. I know the 16u class has some solid teams/kids, but no real size in the entire class.

AAU teams below the 17U are not as formalized. Probably too much useless info, but figured I'd throw out there anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    A number of top mn teams did not play in Great Plains Alliance. Also don't believe their were very many MN 16U kids with scholarship offers (D1 or D2) at that tourney. Maybe a couple kids.
    I stand corrected. I guess some of those guys do a better job of hyping these tournaments up on Twitter and everything than I realized.

To be clear, I knew that a number of those top of the top 17u Minnesota AAU teams like Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota weren't in this. But I got the impression that several of the 16u teams we're pretty solid. I guess I'm mistaken. I suppose those programs all have 16u teams too, so I should have realized the competition probably wasn't quite as strong as I was thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Contrary to what you may be thinking, I'm not a complete idiot. I recognize that the top kids in each state are obviously different. But, in a move that surprises me as much as anyone else, NSU4LIFE and I are basically on the same page. When it comes to kids who actually end up in the NSIC, I won't be shocked if some of the more consistently strong programs, like Augie, have 4-5 South Dakota kids (possibly even 6-8) who are key players on their roster. The talent level is getting better in South Dakota, as you can see when teams like the South Dakota Attack win the Great Plains Invitational 16u division championship over several talented Minnesota schools featuring kids with either D1 or multiple NSIC offers.

Not saying a team made up of the top 3-4 South Dakota kids every year will win the D1 National Championship in the next year or two, but in terms of competitive D2 talent, I think they are really evening things up at a rapid rate.
    A number of top mn teams did not play in Great Plains Alliance. Also don't believe their were very many MN 16U kids with scholarship offers (D1 or D2) at that tourney. Maybe a couple kids.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Contrary to what you may be thinking, I'm not a complete idiot. I recognize that the top kids in each state are obviously different. But, in a move that surprises me as much as anyone else, NSU4LIFE and I are basically on the same page. When it comes to kids who actually end up in the NSIC, I won't be shocked if some of the more consistently strong programs, like Augie, have 4-5 South Dakota kids (possibly even 6-8) who are key players on their roster. The talent level is getting better in South Dakota, as you can see when teams like the South Dakota Attack win the Great Plains Invitational 16u division championship over several talented Minnesota schools featuring kids with either D1 or multiple NSIC offers.

Not saying a team made up of the top 3-4 South Dakota kids every year will win the D1 National Championship in the next year or two, but in terms of competitive D2 talent, I think they are really evening things up at a rapid rate.
    I can throw anything aside to stand up and fight for the great 605. I may live in Minnesota but I'll never love hockey and I think the Loon is an obnoxious bird, so I'll never be full Minnesotan haha

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    I'll tell you what, you gather up the Top 10 SD kids and I'll gather up the Top 10 MN kids and lets play. I'll give you 2-1 odds and you can name the amount.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Some penguins have incredible athleticism.
    Good point. The ones from Madagascar are fairly freakish.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    I'll tell you what, you gather up the Top 10 SD kids and I'll gather up the Top 10 MN kids and lets play. I'll give you 2-1 odds and you can name the amount.
    Too bad the top ten in Minnesota go bigger D1, so while saying Minnesota is more talented is true, you have to look kid vs. kid when talking of NSIC recruiting.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X