• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augieholic
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Moorhead receives verbal from Wyatt Hanson from North Dakota. Don't know much about him, but looks promising from a short look online. Looks like a future PF to fit very nicely with Moorhead's incoming 2017 freshman class.
    You've spoken highly of Moorhead's incoming recruiting class several times, would you mind breaking it down in more detail so I can gauge if it's on the Schilling-Jansen level or just a bunch of paper tigers?

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Moorhead receives verbal from Wyatt Hanson from North Dakota. Don't know much about him, but looks promising from a short look online. Looks like a future PF to fit very nicely with Moorhead's incoming 2017 freshman class.
    Quick video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNmB1S0hw4

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Augie fans also said NSU was not a rivalry including that lovely wrote the Argus pays...the different of course is we haven't had the big win, except for the upset in hoops two seasons ago but it wasn't a playoff and you still won a title so...we need to do more to maximize the potential.

SDSU and NSU were pretty big rivals in hoops back in the hay day. I feel there were more fans at NSU games in the 90s but maybe it was just the student section was larger. Either way, I don't think the D-1 move for them effected us like it did/did not Augie.
    Northern is a rival to me in BB, because we play every season and NSU fields excellent BB teams always with a good number of SD young men. The problem with FB is we do not play each other every year and are in separate divisions, although when NSU plays FB in SF it feels like a rivalry because the Wolves bring so many passionate loud fans to the game.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I was thinking about this today. I'd have to dive into the numbers more, but I'd think Northern and Augie benefit from the fact that the two schools only recently moved up to D1.

It isn't like Minnesota, where most fans of NSIC schools in the state are also Gophers fans. Up until the past decade, Augie fans hated SDSU and USD. I doubt many people suddenly went the Minnesota route and follow both Augie and one of the D1s.

Not only that, but I'd guess Augie benefits from being right in Sioux Falls and now also from being at the Arena. And Northern has had that corner of the state on lockdown seemingly forever.
    I hate the Gophers more than almost all the teams in the NSIC. Maybe more than all even. But I may be in the minority.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    You are correct Stanger about Augustana fans feelings toward SDSU and USD, their fans were hateful to Augie and their coaches were often condescending when discussing AU. When SDSU first decided to move up to D1, football coach for the Jacks John Steigelemeir proclaimed that AU was not a rival because they beat the Vikings most of the time. The next week Augie beat SDSU in overtime at Howard Wood field in front of a packed very loud crowd. After the game he was asked if he still thought there was no rivalry, with a hoarse voice he said maybe he was wrong! Ha.
    Augie fans also said NSU was not a rivalry including that lovely wrote the Argus pays...the different of course is we haven't had the big win, except for the upset in hoops two seasons ago but it wasn't a playoff and you still won a title so...we need to do more to maximize the potential.

SDSU and NSU were pretty big rivals in hoops back in the hay day. I feel there were more fans at NSU games in the 90s but maybe it was just the student section was larger. Either way, I don't think the D-1 move for them effected us like it did/did not Augie.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I was thinking about this today. I'd have to dive into the numbers more, but I'd think Northern and Augie benefit from the fact that the two schools only recently moved up to D1.

It isn't like Minnesota, where most fans of NSIC schools in the state are also Gophers fans. Up until the past decade, Augie fans hated SDSU and USD. I doubt many people suddenly went the Minnesota route and follow both Augie and one of the D1s.

Not only that, but I'd guess Augie benefits from being right in Sioux Falls and now also from being at the Arena. And Northern has had that corner of the state on lockdown seemingly forever.
    You are correct Stanger about Augustana fans feelings toward SDSU and USD, their fans were hateful to Augie and their coaches were often condescending when discussing AU. When SDSU first decided to move up to D1, football coach for the Jacks John Steigelemeir proclaimed that AU was not a rival because they beat the Vikings most of the time. The next week Augie beat SDSU in overtime at Howard Wood field in front of a packed very loud crowd. After the game he was asked if he still thought there was no rivalry, with a hoarse voice he said maybe he was wrong! Ha.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

You have to give NSU their creds, but outdrawing the two D1 teams who get all the media attention is sweet. #2 behind the Wolves, we will have to work on that.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Also, congrats to the Vikes on finishing 2nd in the nation in attendance this year. Obviously a bummer that the Wolves beat us out again, but we still managed to outdraw both USD and SDSU, so I'll consider it a win nonetheless. I hate them more than I hate Northern anyway. :)

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/8/8/men...ttendance.aspx
    You have to give NSU their creds, but outdrawing the two D1 teams who get all the media attention is sweet. #2 behind the Wolves, we will have to work on that.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Also, congrats to the Vikes on finishing 2nd in the nation in attendance this year. Obviously a bummer that the Wolves beat us out again, but we still managed to outdraw both USD and SDSU, so I'll consider it a win nonetheless. I hate them more than I hate Northern anyway. :)

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/8/8/men...ttendance.aspx

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Realized this hadn't been posted here yet, but the Vikes also get a commitment from Minnesotan Eric Tiedman:

Love everything I've seen about him on Twitter. Sounds like he's just one of those hardworking, do-what-it-takes types of kids. Can't ever have too many of those in your program. Looking forward to see what he can do as part of this 2018 recruiting class.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Augustana looks to me to be winning the recruiting wars. Not hard to understand considering private school in a good sized community with a lot of recent basketball success and top notch coach. Tough to compete with.
    This is definitely a recruiting class with some exciting potential. Remains to be seen how it unfolds over the next several years, but so far it seems like a pretty talented group. Hoping the South Dakota kids can show simple that SD isn't as far behind MN as he'd like to think (at least when it comes to kids who choose to go D2). As it stands, we'll have 5 SD kids on our roster for the 2018-19 season. Might be the most I've seen on an Augie roster in the past 10+ years, unless I'm remembering wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Augustana looks to me to be winning the recruiting wars. Not hard to understand considering private school in a good sized community with a lot of recent basketball success and top notch coach. Tough to compete with.
    Augustana is excellent NSIC option for all the reasons you mentioned. I am still extremely high on Moorhead's 2017 recruiting class.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

WOW, WOW and WOW! What a week for Augustana Viking basketball. Shout out to these 3 excellent young men for the commitments and to AU coaching staff for reeling them in.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

WOW, WOW and WOW! What a week for Augustana Viking basketball. Shout out to these 3 excellent young men for the commitments and to AU coaching staff for reeling them in.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X