X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I know this is a basketball thread, but no one ever talks about baseball on this board except the Central Missouri faithful. I just read a USAToday article that Augustana's shortstop hit 7 homeruns in 2 games this weekend. I don't even care if they were playing the local high school JV team, that's a little bit impressive. Okay, that's all... sorry for the detour. Back to hoops!
    On the opposite end of the spectrum an Augustana pitcher tossed a perfect game last week, the second one in school history.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I know this is a basketball thread, but no one ever talks about baseball on this board except the Central Missouri faithful. I just read a USAToday article that Augustana's shortstop hit 7 homeruns in 2 games this weekend. I don't even care if they were playing the local high school JV team, that's a little bit impressive. Okay, that's all... sorry for the detour. Back to hoops!
    Had his own segment on SportsCenter the other night

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

A few years ago it would have seemed ridiculous for D2 teams to need to win national championships with freshman phenoms too, but (other than Northwest Missouri State) it seems most teams will have to make their biggest strides when their best players are young before they transfer up to the next level.
    Freshmen and drops more like. Every move up takes a roster spot from somebody.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Two words - "Transfer Portal"
    A few years ago it would have seemed ridiculous for D2 teams to need to win national championships with freshman phenoms too, but (other than Northwest Missouri State) it seems most teams will have to make their biggest strides when their best players are young before they transfer up to the next level.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Angelo's footwork appears to be very good and he runs well for a big man. Could he be the next DJ? I hope so.
    Two words - "Transfer Portal"

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    As NSU4LIFE has pointed out, I'm guilty of getting overexcited about recruits (and highlight tapes make every kid look like an all-star) so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed incoming Viking Angelo Winkel's senior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8512773...8e6813b4f552b9
    Angelo's footwork appears to be very good and he runs well for a big man. Could he be the next DJ? I hope so.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    As NSU4LIFE has pointed out, I'm guilty of getting overexcited about recruits (and highlight tapes make every kid look like an all-star) so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed incoming Viking Angelo Winkel's senior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8512773...8e6813b4f552b9
    Haha, don't let me be a thief of joy.

On your other message, I feel that sometimes the best college athletes can come out of small schools or lower classes. Some of those kids are really just showing natural talent and in some cases not exactly coached up. Add in better coaching, maturing bodies, etc, it can sometimes really turn out better than some super hyped, top class kid.
    Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 04-01-2021, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    And yes, I'm aware that he competes at the lowest level of Iowa high school basketball, so it's not like he's doing this against future D1 players or anything, but I am less impressed with his dunks over 6'1" kids and more impressed with his athleticism on some of those drives to the basket and coast-to-coast plays. For a 6'9" center, it's not too shabby.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Rice announced that they want to increase its student body to 9,000 and to expand the campus footprint as well.

Made me think about AU's plan to expand. Any updates on that?

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied
    Originally posted by AU Vikings View Post
    So as of right now our starter at the point is Bennett Otto unless Bryan comes back. That's concerning to me.
    Everyone I talked to at Augie games this season expects all of the seniors to return next season.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Originally posted by AU Vikings View Post
    So as of right now our starter at the point is Bennett Otto unless Bryan comes back. That's concerning to me.
    We have roughly five full months with a transfer portal that is currently full of unprecedented numbers of transfers. I am not overly concerned at this point.

Leave a comment:

• AU Vikings
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Bummer in the sense that it didn't work out. Seeing his high school stats and everything, I was hopeful he'd come in and be a serviceable replacement for Plitzuweit a couple of years ago, but that obviously didn't work out. Hope he lands in a place that's a good fit for him.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X