Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best D2 Basketball Stadiums

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Four? Try EIGHT classes in Kansas. It's completely ridiculous.

Last year was the fourth straight year that there was a conflict between the KSHSAA and NCAA tourneys. In 2014, 2016 and 2017 ESU had to go on the road while in 2015 the Class 1A HS tourney had to go to Dodge City from Hays. Ironically ESU won the regional as a #2 seed in 2015 on FHSU's home floor but lost the regional finals the other three years as the #1 seed.

The difference between 2015 and the other years is that FHSU owns and operates Gross Coliseum while ESU rents White Auditorium from the city of Emporia.
    My eyes have gone crossed trying to follow this post.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
        Absolutely!! But of course, it's not up to them. It's really quite maddening to think about. I mean, are there much bigger issues out there? Yes. But making it so half the state can call themselves champions is a bit ridiculous and waters down the term, Champion.

The one or two (I think it ended up being only one) year(s) they did a one class tournament of 16 teams in the 90s was great. But of course the small towns b!tched and got it separated back into different classes, and then eventually 4 classes. Which seems low compared to other states apparently!! Haha

Comment

[QUOTE=DapperDan;2170413]
          Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          we have a number of solid arenas.

Northern is great -- big but good crowds -- deserves a place there

Kato - - great Arena - good sightlines -- love watching games there. But like Laker said - generally empty except when SMSU plays there and turns it into RA East

SMSU , Winona, Moorhead etc -- these are all solid arenas but are more functional than unique. But there are very solid for D2

Wayne -- Rice - underrated because it is unique and old school. Seems cozy even with small crowds. I always love going there.

Upper - same -- unique , cozy, perfect for what they need. Very nice too updated and great place to watch[/QUOTE

Wayne is kind of weird only having stands on one side. When watching live feeds you get a shot of a stage with a closed curtain. Reminds of small school high schools where the gym has to be an auditorium and live stage facility as well. Might be picky but if they would move the players to the fan side and move the camera to the stage side it would look a lot better on-line.
          Would never happen without removing bleachers....they sit too close to the court to allow players to be positioned there. Rice can be raucous when its full. I wish the school could put up a new, more modern facility, but the crowds right now don't really justify it.

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Augie has a better facility with their on-campus gym than the old arena they currently use.

Comment

1970- last one class tournament in Minnesota. Sherburn finished unbeaten by beating South St Paul in the championship. I was at the first round.

1971- first two class system. Duluth East ? beat Melrose in the Monday night playoff.

1972- second two class system. St. James beat Melrose on a half court shot at the buzzer by Nelson and then defeated the AA champs Moundsview and Mark Landsberger. I was there on Thursday and Monday.

Can't remember exactly when they dropped the A v AA. I'm sure that the MSHSL was worried about academics...........

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Augie has a better facility with their on-campus gym than the old arena they currently use.
                I was shocked the first time I went there. It an exact replica of Moorheads gym. Moorhead has a nice floor, which I don't personally care for with the of colored logo and a nice video board.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  I was shocked the first time I went there. It an exact replica of Moorheads gym.
                  Elmen or the Arena?

I liked Elmen too wscsuperfan, probably more than most. I haven't been to the Arena for an Augie game yet, but I really like the look of it on the webcasts. Has more of a big-time feel imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    Elmen or the Arena?

I liked Elmen too wscsuperfan, probably more than most. I haven't been to the Arena for an Augie game yet, but I really like the look of it on the webcasts. Has more of a big-time feel imo.
                    Elmen. I have no idea what the arena looks like. I've lost track. I'm assuming it isn't the old arena where state championships used to be(or still are). Though I'm guessing by now they upgraded something or built new.

Comment

Elmen. I have no idea what the arena looks like. I've lost track. I'm assuming it isn't the old arena where state championships used to be(or still are). Though I'm guessing by now they upgraded something or built new.
                      They have really made the arena their own, with the floor, etc. Also, the video boards were a nice addition. They draw some decent crowds there too.

http://www.goaugie.com/sports/2014/7...1.aspx?id=2133

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                        Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                        Elmen or the Arena?

Other Augie fans and regular attendees can correct me if they feel differently, but, personally, it seems that the majority of the people who prefer the Elmen to the Arena are either opposing fans who don't attend a ton of games at either venue or stubborn Augie fans who never really attended games at the Elmen in the first place and then saw the move to the Arena as an excuse to say, "See, now that it's not on campus, I'm not going to these games." (But, as mentioned, they weren't going when it was at the Elmen anyway.) The bottom line is that our attendance certainly hasn't dipped any since making the move. I haven't done the comparisons, but I know for sure attendance has at least stayed very similar, and it's possible it has increased.

I typically come on here and defend the move to the Arena because I personally like it more, and most people I talk to who are regular attendees also seem to like it more. It feels less like you're going to watch a Class A SD high school match-up and more like you're going to watch a high-quality D2 game (or even a low-major D1 game) when you're in the Arena.

Also, while the long-running joke is that the Augie fans are primarily older folks, there is a decent amount of reality to that fact, and the bottom line is that older folks enjoy sitting in seats that have backs to them. I'm only in my 30s and my back is usually starting to wear out by the end of a men's game on the bleachers at the Elmen, and I'm not even one of the die-hards who attends the women's games too. If I'm 66 years old and I'm sitting for roughly 4 straight hours of basketball, having something to lean back against (without having to carry in my own personal bleacher chair/seat thing) makes a big difference.

On top of that, Coach Billeter has said in a number of interviews that recruits are really drawn to the experience at the Arena and like the "big-time" atmosphere of the games. If that helps make a difference on a kid trying to decide between a school like Northern (with a nice venue and great fan attendance) and Augie, let's make sure we're offering something that recruit is excited about.

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
                        They have really made the arena their own, with the floor, etc. Also, the video boards were a nice addition. They draw some decent crowds there too.

http://www.goaugie.com/sports/2014/7...1.aspx?id=2133
                        This is another big thing. The video boards are great, and from the moment you walk in, everything is decked out in Augie decorations (photos on the wall, logos everywhere, etc.). It doesn't feel like the Vikes are "renting" the Arena, it feels like the Arena is their home court venue.

Like I said, I will continue defending the move to the Arena because I struggle to see why people (particularly consistent Augie fans) still advocate for the Elmen Center. If the main reason is, "Well, it's a nice enough facility and it's on-campus," I think the benefits of the Arena strongly trump the benefits of the Elmen.

Comment

I totally get the move, I'm assuming the rent is much less than building a brand new on campus facility. Kind of counter the argument others have had about things needing to be on campus as I don't think Augie attendenc e has dropped. Has the number of students showing up de declined? That is one thing about on campus versus off, is students pay activity fees, yes they can still go to games I'm sure but it requires travel. Not arguing either way, just never hear people bring that up.

Comment

I totally get the move, I'm assuming the rent is much less than building a brand new on campus facility. Kind of counter the argument others have had about things needing to be on campus as I don't think Augie attendenc e has dropped. Has the number of students showing up de declined? That is one thing about on campus versus off, is students pay activity fees, yes they can still go to games I'm sure but it requires travel. Not arguing either way, just never hear people bring that up.
                            I've mentioned it before, but the students really weren't showing up in full force the last season or two we were in the Elmen before the move. There has finally been growth again this past season, so I have high hopes the student section will continue to grow. But I don't think the move to the Arena hurt student attendance, as, like I said, the student section wasn't packed full immediately before the move anyway.

Comment

Like I said, I liked Elmen in my one visit there. But yes, I really like what I've seen online of the Arena and I would love to get to a game there. Went to a Storm game about 10 years ago, but haven't been there for hoops.

Comment

Correct. But those were in the 70s and I referred to when they did one class in the 90s. Pretty sure that was during El-Amin's time at Minneapolis North.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X