Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-17 MSU Mavs Basketball

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
    Kendrix is a big time athlete, but his attitude kept him on the bench at Missouri State and caused him some problems in high school.
    Sounds like the ideal Mankato recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
      Kendrix is a big time athlete, but his attitude kept him on the bench at Missouri State and caused him some problems in high school.
      Sounds like him and the mavericks were made for each other. Until Matt has to dismiss him from the club that is.

Comment

Will have to see how this all comes together. Even with Witthus' departure, there should be a strong core to hopefully provide some leadership. It'll be different from other years with multiple transfers because of that. I'm certainly not saying this will be a special year, it could end up being a disaster. Just seems that as long as personalities can mesh (always a question with newcomers) this team should be one of the Mavs deepest teams in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
          Will have to see how this all comes together. Even with Witthus' departure, there should be a strong core to hopefully provide some leadership. It'll be different from other years with multiple transfers because of that. I'm certainly not saying this will be a special year, it could end up being a disaster. Just seems that as long as personalities can mesh (always a question with newcomers) this team should be one of the Mavs deepest teams in awhile.
          Easy prediction: You guys will lose some surprising games at the beginning of the season, then have a particularly strong/hot streak during the late mid-season (January, early February, etc.).

Harder prediction: Whether you finish strong and make the Regional or divebomb and go a round or two (or three) deep in the NSIC Tourney and then miss the Regional cut.

It's always hard to tell which way you guys will go when you get to that fork in the road.

The Witthus thing is still one of the most surprising and fascinating roster-related issues in the NSIC in a while. Probably since Jordan Poydras leaving for Utah Something Whatever State a few years ago, unless I'm overlooking something obvious. I still can't believe he left. And to NWMSU, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            The Witthus thing is still one of the most surprising and fascinating roster-related issues in the NSIC in a while. Probably since Jordan Poydras leaving for Utah Something Whatever State a few years ago, unless I'm overlooking something obvious. I still can't believe he left. And to NWMSU, no less.
            And to this point, despite asking around, I've never gotten a solid answer.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Not that I'm the ultimate insider but I heard he was fed up with the annual churn that goes on with the Mankato roster.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                As Dapper said, everything I heard was he wasn't a fan of the culture of having the roster turnover with transfers every year.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                  As Dapper said, everything I heard was he wasn't a fan of the culture of having the roster turnover with transfers every year.
                  What the F did he think was going to happen there. Its still a matt marganthaler run program where transfers rule the roost. If that's the true reason he left, this kid might be one of the biggest dolts around.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                    What the F did he think was going to happen there. Its still a matt marganthaler run program where transfers rule the roost. If that's the true reason he left, this kid might be one of the biggest dolts around.
                    I expect most walk in as freshmen wearing their rose colored glasses.

Comment

I can't speak for him, don't even know if that's the actual reason. Just relaying what I have heard also. It's one thing to know there is a transfer culture, it's another to be in it and see how it affects individuals on a team and the ability to build chemistry. I think anyone who knows anything about the program knows there will be transfers. No one knows the culture and what it is like for each individual or team bonding until you are in the middle of it. Maybe it wasn't the transfer mentality but the individuals who were transferring in. I have no idea.

Comment

It's the same question we ask every year when high school kids commit/sign. Especially when they're part of a recruiting class that typically includes a minimum of 1-2 transfers, if not 3-4.

Serious question--it makes me wonder a little bit if that's why Margenthaler seems to be branching out more and more into Illinois (current Mavs Cole Harper and Kevin Krieger, 2 of the 3 freshmen in this year's incoming class, a ton of the recent transfers, etc.). It's possible the Mavs just aren't going after a ton of the Minnesota kids, but part of me wonders if more and more Minnesota kids and their families are recognizing what the Witthuses recognized and are less interested in the constant transfer/roster turnover strategy.

Or maybe they just like Illinois kids more right now for the type of athletes/recruits they are going after. I'd assume Margenthaler has substantial connections there due to his family history in Illinois, etc., so maybe that's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                          I can't speak for him, don't even know if that's the actual reason. Just relaying what I have heard also. It's one thing to know there is a transfer culture, it's another to be in it and see how it affects individuals on a team and the ability to build chemistry. I think anyone who knows anything about the program knows there will be transfers. No one knows the culture and what it is like for each individual or team bonding until you are in the middle of it. Maybe it wasn't the transfer mentality but the individuals who were transferring in. I have no idea.
                          From what I have gathered, it is a combo deal. Wasn't happy with the individuals (not necessarily the transfer culture) and also, from what I have gathered, he is a tad bit of a front runner. I cannot speak for what ultimately made him leave, but that is the info I have been able to get.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            It's the same question we ask every year when high school kids commit/sign. Especially when they're part of a recruiting class that typically includes a minimum of 1-2 transfers, if not 3-4.

Serious question--it makes me wonder a little bit if that's why Margenthaler seems to be branching out more and more into Illinois (current Mavs Cole Harper and Kevin Krieger, 2 of the 3 freshmen in this year's incoming class, a ton of the recent transfers, etc.). It's possible the Mavs just aren't going after a ton of the Minnesota kids, but part of me wonders if more and more Minnesota kids and their families are recognizing what the Witthuses recognized and are less interested in the constant transfer/roster turnover strategy.

Or maybe they just like Illinois kids more right now for the type of athletes/recruits they are going after. I'd assume Margenthaler has substantial connections there due to his family history in Illinois, etc., so maybe that's all it is.
                            It could be a little of each. But it's mainly his connections in the area. Monaghan is from the Chicago area as well so that really makes it familiar. Also, as has been discussed many times recently, more MN kids are going to fringe D1s instead. IL has many more quality players to choose from so when some go fringe D1, there are still solid D2 players left. They say they are still recruiting MN kids but that doesn't mean the MN kids want to continue to come.

Comment

Nice article on former Maverick (and Nicollet Raider) star Kory Kettner who is now coaching both boys and girls at his basketball academy. Former student and current friend.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor...bc09b7fe1.html

Comment

Finally- the men's schedule is out. Only two non-conference games at home- SCSU and Waldorf. I was hoping for a MIAA or GAC team at home.

http://msumavericks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X