Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWMSU

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Heard NW brought in psychic to exorcise the demons known as MSSU. Anyway, seems Southern is bringing out the best on everyone this year.
    Target was on our backs when it should've been on yours. But you seem to have five players showing up to play 40 minutes every day, so target or not for you it wouldn't seem to matter. Best of luck holding that #1 rating, until we meet again.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
      Target was on our backs when it should've been on yours. But you seem to have five players showing up to play 40 minutes every day, so target or not for you it wouldn't seem to matter. Best of luck holding that #1 rating, until we meet again.
      It was a tough physical game. It kind of got away at the end, but it wasn't a walk in the park by any means. It was a good atmosphere... nice crowd, 2 good teams. Missouri Southern's strategy was a little out of the box, but it was effective. Obviously, MoSo went in with the mentality to take away the 3, and Boshee matched up Cam Martin on probably our most inconsistent 3 point shooter in Diego. 6'9" center on a lighting quick 6'1" guard? At first, I thought it was insane, but it was working! Diego put up a couple of early 3's and missed, and Cam was playing off enough to not allow the blow by. I still wanted to just clear out a side and see, but Ben countered with having Diego set the high screen to get Cam switched on Hudgens... Hudgens being a little bit better shooter and more effective driver. It's just fun to see two good coaches work.

Martin is a beast... very physical offensive player. Apparently he has a foot injury of some sort? Is this new or something that has been bothering him? I thought we did a good job with him, but I'm not sure how healthy he is right now. Walker getting in foul trouble benefited Northwest, because we were going at the Jennings kid with whomever he was guarding. On to Lindenwood, keep the train rolling Bearcats!

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
        It was a tough physical game. It kind of got away at the end, but it wasn't a walk in the park by any means. It was a good atmosphere... nice crowd, 2 good teams. Missouri Southern's strategy was a little out of the box, but it was effective. Obviously, MoSo went in with the mentality to take away the 3, and Boshee matched up Cam Martin on probably our most inconsistent 3 point shooter in Diego. 6'9" center on a lighting quick 6'1" guard? At first, I thought it was insane, but it was working! Diego put up a couple of early 3's and missed, and Cam was playing off enough to not allow the blow by. I still wanted to just clear out a side and see, but Ben countered with having Diego set the high screen to get Cam switched on Hudgens... Hudgens being a little bit better shooter and more effective driver. It's just fun to see two good coaches work.

Martin is a beast... very physical offensive player. Apparently he has a foot injury of some sort? Is this new or something that has been bothering him? I thought we did a good job with him, but I'm not sure how healthy he is right now. Walker getting in foul trouble benefited Northwest, because we were going at the Jennings kid with whomever he was guarding. On to Lindenwood, keep the train rolling Bearcats!
        Martin came down on his left foot and rolled his ankle about 4 min. into the game. In replaying the game, it looked like he landed on the side of his foot and it looked like it hurt right away. He did stay in but was noticeable that it was bothering him from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
          Martin came down on his left foot and rolled his ankle about 4 min. into the game. In replaying the game, it looked like he landed on the side of his foot and it looked like it hurt right away. He did stay in but was noticeable that it was bothering him from that point on.
          Yeah, I saw that... and he was favoring it when he'd run right away. I just didn't know if he aggravated something he was already dealing with or if it was new.

Comment

New injury for Martin. He's been pretty healthy all year long, except for losing a pint of blood each game due to the hammerings he takes (just kidding).

He basically had little jumping ability with the injury and played sparingly in the second half. 20 minutes was way below his average unless he is out for foul trouble.

Northwest is proving to be the better team of course, but we are probably good enough to beat you 50% of the time on our home court and IF we are healthy and IF we avoid any foul trouble and IF you guys are only 4 of 13 from 3 land each game. That's a lot of IFs and of course my opinion only.

What is working well for your team is you seem to never have more than one guy having an off night. And four really good performances are better than three good performances and two guys having off or average nights.

Comment

New injury for Martin. He's been pretty healthy all year long, except for losing a pint of blood each game due to the hammerings he takes (just kidding).

He basically had little jumping ability with the injury and played sparingly in the second half. 20 minutes was way below his average unless he is out for foul trouble.

Northwest is proving to be the better team of course, but we are probably good enough to beat you 50% of the time on our home court and IF we are healthy and IF we avoid any foul trouble and IF you guys are only 4 of 13 from 3 land each game. That's a lot of IFs and of course my opinion only.

What is working well for your team is you seem to never have more than one guy having an off night. And four really good performances are better than three good performances and two guys having off or average nights.
              I agree... MoSo is a good team and it was a dog fight that got away towards the end. I'm sure if it had stayed close, Martin would've been back in after his last sub out. I hope it's not bad and something he can play well through. Injuries suck, and hopefully we'll continue to dodge them the remainder of the season.

We have a number of guys that are capable of putting up numbers and they play so well together. Early in the season it was Hudgens and Hawkins doing most of the damage. Now, Joey is just playing lights out on the offensive end... Hudgens has been consistent and steady in his production all year, and Diego is getting more and more involved offensive. Hawkins is still capable of a big game and Welty is terrific in his role as a shooter. He's not ever going to be Gary Payton on D, but I've been impressed with how much that part of his game has improved. Beyond the ability to shoot it, we have some guys that can go get a bucket when we need one. I also see us trying to exploit mismatches more than maybe we've done in the past... we even had Welty trying to post up a smaller guard Saturday once.

Comment

I will say, he dishes it out too... lol. The guy is very physical with the ball in his hands. I felt sorry for Dougherty, he got hit with 2 quick fouls against him right in front of where I was sitting. On both of them he took a shot to the face (unintentional) from Martin before he even got the ball and then trying to hold his ground against the pounding Martin was giving to him while backing him in, he got whistled. He's tough to guard, and impossible if not willing to match the physicality he brings... I would want NO part of it! :) He is good and I'm sure he does feel a little beat up after every game.
                Last edited by Alfred33; 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                  Welty is terrific in his role as a shooter. He's not ever going to be Gary Payton on D, but I've been impressed with how much that part of his game has improved.
                  Couldn't agree more. Some of us sitting together discussed the same thing. He went from a liability to being able to effectively guard Clark for MOSO. Clark would have had 50 in that matchup last year. He has improved tremendously on the defensive end.

Comment

Witthus will be the MIAA player of the week.

I don't feel like checking but this will be at least the third time this year the POW will have played against the Lions the week he was honored (Terrence Smith and Caleb Smith).

And Diekvoss from Lindenwood easily had his best game of the year in a win over Southern earlier this year.
                    Has the MIAA forgotten about the MIAA player of the week? No announcement last week and none so far today. Last one was announced on January 21...

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                      Has the MIAA forgotten about the MIAA player of the week? No announcement last week and none so far today. Last one was announced on January 21...
                      You better check again!

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                        You better check again!
                        Haha! Must have come out right after I checked it. I see they also have the player of the week for last week in the archived stories but it isn't showing up on the scroll on the front page.

Comment

Sloppy first half at lindenwood. Too many fouls. But up 41-20.

Comment

Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river.

Comment

Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river.
                              I see UNK giving you a game.

Comment

NWMSU rolls Lindenwood

Comment