Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Rival

Last night's game got me thinking about who Northern's biggest rival would be, and made me curious who other fan bases see as the biggest rival for their schools. Overall, I would have to think that Augie is the school that most Northern fans like to beat. NSU is a basketball school, so to me our biggest rivalries revolve around basketball. The in-state factor with Augie adds to that even though we only play them once a season. I would also say that Winona is up there, especially for anybody that attended Northern from about 2000-2010. Moorhead would probably be 3rd on my list with all of the competitive basketball and football games played in the last decade. Let me know what you think, including you MIAA posters.

Re: Biggest Rival

For Winona it is clearly Mankato. Always has been except when Mankato was off to greener pastures.

Comment

The "Puck Fitt State" tshirts worn around our campus answer this question for us.

Comment

For most of my life, St Cloud. Now that the conference structure changed and they are in the North, it was Winona in basketball and USF in football. There also seems to be a good rivalry with Southwest in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          For Winona it is clearly Mankato. Always has been except when Mankato was off to greener pastures.
          Did you know about the 1936 coin flip to determine which school would wear the colors purple and gold?

MSU lost and wore orange and navy/black until 1956.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            Did you know about the 1936 coin flip to determine which school would wear the colors purple and gold?

MSU lost and wore orange and navy/black until 1956.
            Never heard that interesting piece of trivia. I guess Mankato decided to go Maverick in 56 even while they were still the pre PC Indians.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                Never heard that interesting piece of trivia. I guess Mankato decided to go Maverick in 56 even while they were still the pre PC Indians.
                http://puckswami.blogspot.com/2008/1...mavericks.html

Comment

Northern would've been the biggest one before the NSIC expanded. Might still be, though I think Augie and maybe Mankato are up there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    Northern would've been the biggest one before the NSIC expanded. Might still be, though I think Augie and maybe Mankato are up there too.
                    The NSU/SMSU rivalry is a pretty good one. I liked it when they would play the nonconference game each year so they would play twice. Hopefully that will come back after a hiatus this season.

Comment

Mens hoops records(first year played)
                      Vs. Augie 37-37 (1922-23)
                      Vs. Bemidji 66-26 (1958-1959)
                      Vs. Concordia 29-7 (1994-1995)
                      Vs. Mary 27-13 (1959-1960)
                      Vs. Crookston 38-2 (1994-1995)
                      Vs. Duluth 37-40 (1979-1980)
                      Vs. Mankato 11-15 (1970-1971)
                      Vs. Minot 48-18 (1937-1938)
                      Vs. Moorhead 66-38 (1930-1931)
                      Vs. Sioux Falls 71-23 (1907-1908)
                      Vs. Southwest 66-27 (1972-1973)
                      Vs. St. Cloud 16-28 (1959-1960)
                      Vs. Upper Iowa 18-3 (2004-2005)
                      Vs. Wayne 35-22 (1938-1939)
                      Vs. Winona 45-38 (1968-1969)

Other notables (due to amount of games and two that have been brought up to some extent as potential members) Also, moment of silence for Si Tanka...

Vs. Dakota Wesleyan 75-56 (1909-1910)
                      Vs. Jamestown 72-30 (1911-1912)
                      Vs. Si Tanka/Huron College 110-64 (1908-1909)

Comment

Augie would never consider us a rival....but I think Wayne folks put a little more emotion into matchups with the Vikings.

Outside the league....it's Kearney

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                          Augie would never consider us a rival....but I think Wayne folks put a little more emotion into matchups with the Vikings.

Outside the league....it's Kearney
                          Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                          Last night's game got me thinking about who Northern's biggest rival would be, and made me curious who other fan bases see as the biggest rival for their schools. Overall, I would have to think that Augie is the school that most Northern fans like to beat. NSU is a basketball school, so to me our biggest rivalries revolve around basketball. The in-state factor with Augie adds to that even though we only play them once a season. I would also say that Winona is up there, especially for anybody that attended Northern from about 2000-2010. Moorhead would probably be 3rd on my list with all of the competitive basketball and football games played in the last decade. Let me know what you think, including you MIAA posters.
                          It's true, Augie is everyone's rival

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                            Might be some truth to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                              That's partially the reason for this thread. I'd be surprised to hear Northern is Augie's primary rival, but I feel Northern fans get particularly juiced to #BeatAugie, and I don't think we are the only ones. Why does everyone hate you guys so much, haha?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X