Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All-MIAA Team

As an outsider I'd have to say I think the MIAA got POY right. When you have a team that runs the table, that adds some extra weight to Witthus' argument. Now I haven't see either Witthus or Martin play so my opinion doesn't mean much. But when you average 20.5 per game and shoot 51 FG%/46 3P%/86 FT% and aren't a liability on defense with the undefeated team you get my vote. Martin is a beast (21 pts/9 reb) and I hope the Wolves avoid him in the regional.

Comment

Just for the sake of discussion:

If you were an MIAA coach and you had one scholarship to give heading into this season and a crystal ball showed you what kind of season each was going to have, would you have selected Martin or offered that scholly to Witthus? (And in fairness we have to pretend it's for this year only, we can't be swayed by choosing Martin since we'd have him for two more years).

Personally, I would choose Martin. Having him made me want to go to all of the away games this year too.

If I were a Northwest fan, I would've wanted to go to their away games as well but not because of Witthus.

Comment

I think Witthus is absolutely the player of the year. Anytime a team runs the table and goes undefeated in this league, you have to take there best player and he is a big game type of guy. I think Martin is the most talented player in our league and since he is only a sophomore I think he is absolutely the leading candidate for player of the year next year. When you have a 14 team league and only 15 guys make the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams, there are going to be some guys left out and end up on honorable mention. My complaint with the all conference teams is that not enough credit was given to the winning teams. Washburn only had 1 guy on the top 15. I think Dave Salach or Tyler Geiman should have been 3rd team. We have some guys in this league that run up some big numbers because they are on bad teams and frankly don't really make their teammates better that got a lot of recognition this year. Salach was pretty good all year but didn't have to score much. He still averaged almost 13 a game. Geiman led the conference in assists and was our leading rebounder in conference play and flirted with several triple doubles. Scoring is important but I think the guys that do all the little things for their teams are traditionally left out. Outside of that, I think the all-conference teams were pretty close to being a good representation of what went on this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post

If you were an MIAA coach and you had one scholarship to give heading into this season and a crystal ball showed you what kind of season each was going to have, would you have selected Martin or offered that scholly to Witthus? (And in fairness we have to pretend it's for this year only, we can't be swayed by choosing Martin since we'd have him for two more years).

Personally, I would choose Martin. Having him made me want to go to all of the away games this year too.

If I were a Northwest fan, I would've wanted to go to their away games as well but not because of Witthus.

Comment

That's hard to really say objectively. I'm sure most MoSo people will say Martin, and most NW people would say Withus. As Catillac said, Withus is an exact fit into the NW "positionless" interchangeable parts system, but that's not to say anytime you can get your hands on a dominant 6'9" post presence, you wouldn't do it. The only factors that I can offer is that Withus and his ability to stretch the floor at 6'7", was a known quantity in this division and this league, and that would have been hard for anyone to say I think I'd rather have someone else. I didn't really know a lot about Martin coming in other than he was a D1 transfer. Maybe foolishly, he didn't get my full-fledged attention until the 49 point game (Mankota maybe?) early in the season.
            Last edited by Alfred33; 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
              Martin should be the favorite to win it the next few years.
              I wouldn't be so sure about that statement...With the way that Hudgins played this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get it next year if Northwest wins again, despite what kind of year that Martin has. It has happened before with coaches in the league giving the award to the best player on the best team. Sometimes that is the way to go, others, it's not, but I can say that Martin and Witthus were the two best players in the league this year. Awards are just that awards. The only thing that truly matters is the trophy you get at the end of the year. Good luck to all the teams still competing.

Comment

Originally posted by mosoman View Post
                I wouldn't be so sure about that statement...With the way that Hudgins played this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get it next year if Northwest wins again, despite what kind of year that Martin has. It has happened before with coaches in the league giving the award to the best player on the best team. Sometimes that is the way to go, others, it's not, but I can say that Martin and Witthus were the two best players in the league this year. Awards are just that awards. The only thing that truly matters is the trophy you get at the end of the year. Good luck to all the teams still competing.

Comment

Bernard is very good defender but needs to be better perimeter shooter. He's an exceptional rebounder. Hudgins is exceptional ball handler but needs to be better going to his right and should shoot more from perimeter. NW will be loaded next year no doubt. I would love to see NW bring in a scoring post presence though.
                  Go Hounds!
                  B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                  Cyclone Power
                  ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

I see where Amir Hinton from Shaw is foregoing his senior year and declaring for the NBA draft.

Maybe Martin should consider that too.

Comment

I see where Amir Hinton from Shaw is foregoing his senior year and declaring for the NBA draft.

Maybe Martin should consider that too.
                      And Bernard with all his dunks.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                        And Bernard with all his dunks.
                        Maybe after next year; maybe. But only if Cam goes.

Comment

Maybe after next year; maybe. But only if Cam goes.
                          Someone has to pave the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                            Someone has to pave the way.
                            Should be the elder statesman who has D-1 experience. Cam is the man with a plan.

Comment

Comment

Should be the elder statesman who has D-1 experience. Cam is the man with a plan.
                                D 1 experience means diddly squat. The question is, is there as big of debate on Conf MVP as when Hunter Henry was chosen over Zach Wright? Of course all of us remember, that year the UNDERCLASSMAN won over arguably one of the best players the league has seen (albeit only one year).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X