Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied

Side note for basketball forum: His son played basketball at Augie and his daughter played basketball at USF.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    They made a proposal. They changed it without imput from people who care.

It is done and over with. The name is changed. No reason to care at this point.

People will vote with their money.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Only if lefsa is provided. Then I approve.

It's a cultural thing.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Are you asking my personal opinion, or rhetorically?

Personally, as an indigenous studies (secondary) major - I don't have an issue with the name, nor do I support the effort to change it. It's literally no different than if the University of Hawaii-Hilo wanted to do a "Minnesotan Night," which everyone would be cool with.

That being said - there are far more important things in this world to devote my energy too than being upset over this, especially since I can't control it. Trying to shift my career, apartment hunting, car hunting, trying to maintain an eBay store, etc. etc. - it's just not worth my attention. Besides, it will be forgotten about quite quickly. It always does.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    This is unrelated to the discussion, but just in case anyone didn't see the post on the football board:

Chris Hmielewski announces resignation as SMSU Director of Athletics - SMSU Athletics (smsumustangs.com)

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Are you asking my personal opinion, or rhetorically?

Personally, as an indigenous studies (secondary) major - I don't have an issue with the name, nor do I support the effort to change it. It's literally no different than if the University of Hawaii-Hilo wanted to do a "Minnesotan Night," which everyone would be cool with.

That being said - there are far more important things in this world to devote my energy too than being upset over this, especially since I can't control it. Trying to shift my career, apartment hunting, car hunting, trying to maintain an eBay store, etc. etc. - it's just not worth my attention. Besides, it will be forgotten about quite quickly. It always does.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied
    It will all likely end at some point, but the last place to end it will be the colleges and universities.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

This petition was posted before the administration made any formal statement, and implied that the event was going to be outright cancelled - which apparently isn't the case. They are exploring other names, and Tropical Night is one of them. Swinter Night is another - I don't remember the rest.

Not a fan of the name change, but get it over with, parade it as a "victory", and move on... the world will keep turning.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Totally understand not wanting to break the tradition, but wouldn't an easy solution be to just call it Tropical Night?
    This petition was posted before the administration made any formal statement, and implied that the event was going to be outright cancelled - which apparently isn't the case. They are exploring other names, and Tropical Night is one of them. Swinter Night is another - I don't remember the rest.

Not a fan of the name change, but get it over with, parade it as a "victory", and move on... the world will keep turning.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

Why not call it Tropic Thunder?
    In 2021, Tropic Thunder is more un-PC than an event called Hawaiian Night.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Totally understand not wanting to break the tradition, but wouldn't an easy solution be to just call it Tropical Night?
    Why not call it Tropic Thunder?

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Oh boy...

Politically correct insanity. The whole cultural appropriation claim in BS.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Oh boy...

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Last I've heard, that's the plan.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...