Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
    All this talk about the NSIC being the clearly better conference is amusing. They have the best record from games in the first month of the season so can't deny that. With Washburn healthy, I would feel very comfortable going Top 4 against Top 4. Even comparing down the entire leagues, the records from MIAA and NSIC compare favorably.

What I know for myself, is whoever comes out of this region is the favorite to win the championship (regardless of what national polls say). History has proven that not only has the champion come out of this region the last few years, but the most likely second best team has been in this region each year as well. In the years NW has won the championship, they have had closer contested games in the Regional than they did in the Elite 8.
    Last edited by Moorhead123; 03-03-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      If Team A goes 2-3 against tough opponents and Team B goes 5-0 against weaker opponents, chances are Team A will be higher in the RPI and Team B will be higher in the Performance Indicator (case in point: MSU Moorhead, as of this moment, is 6th in the region in RPI and 11th in the region in PI). Regional rankings typically balance the two to some extent.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Don't lump us in with that one person begging for validation.
        Not begging for anything. I was lobbying for nsic to get a 4th team in regional, which I believed they deserved based on difficulty of conference this year. May have been unlikely (but for Moorhead winning the tournament), but I was making the case nonetheless. For example, the nsu fans would have likely made similar case if wolves had knocked out UIU. They would really have made case (and probably rightfully so) had they knocked out UIU and Duluth, but lost in championship.
        Last edited by Moorhead123; 03-03-2022, 03:13 PM.

Comment

As I mentioned in my post, I know what early season results say. I know from NW perspective they were integrating guys into new roles and played their worst basketball of the season in the early games. I know Washburn had significant injuries. The results are the results so can't deny them and can only use the data points available.

I'm not sure what Ferris, Black Hills St, or Colorado Mesa have to do with the discussion- they're not in the region so it does nothing to use those as examples for what conference deserves how many bids in this region. There are plenty of teams that have wins against teams that are considered in-region but are not actually in the region.

Comment

As I mentioned in my post, I know what early season results say. I know from NW perspective they were integrating guys into new roles and played their worst basketball of the season in the early games. I know Washburn had significant injuries. The results are the results so can't deny them and can only use the data points available.

I'm not sure what Ferris, Black Hills St, or Colorado Mesa have to do with the discussion- they're not in the region so it does nothing to use those as examples for what conference deserves how many bids in this region. There are plenty of teams that have wins against teams that are considered in-region but are not actually in the region.
            One of the criteria, I believe, is record vs regionally ranked opponents (regardless of the region).

Comment

NWHoops validated what you just repeated in that NSIC had the best record the first month of the season. I think they've been rewarded for that by the way the regional rankings and the Performance indicators have shaken out. I don't think anyone is disputing any of that. To say that the NSIC is clearly better and deserving of 4 spots without the AQ is where I think there is some pushback. The early season tournaments are a barometer and it matters, but it's not a tell all... I'd put money on NW to beat Souix Falls 8 or 9 out of 10 times, wouldn't you? Souix Falls was better that day though. Washburn played Augustana down 3 starters... that doesn't change the fact that Augustana won, but it does show that Washburn is a completely different team today than they were that first month, and really, most teams are at this point... NW isn't playing all that well if we're being honest. The NSIC had a great tournament season and it is reflected, but to insinuate an 11 loss Moorhead team is clearly more deserving than a 5 loss Fort Hays, a 9 loss Washburn, or a 9 loss Oklahoma Baptist team that they lost to based on preseason results is questionable at best. It could prove to be true, but it wasn't at the time you were trumpeting it. Moorhead did what it HAD to do, so congrats and be happy that they are playing some of their best basketball at the right time... it's a new season and Moorhead will have every chance to prove that they belonged in this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

One of the criteria, I believe, is record vs regionally ranked opponents (regardless of the region).
                Understood but NW has wins against Truman and UMSL. Not going to look at other MIAA teams as we can go down this never ending rabbit hole to compare conferences that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

NWHoops validated what you just repeated in that NSIC had the best record the first month of the season. I think they've been rewarded for that by the way the regional rankings and the Performance indicators have shaken out. I don't think anyone is disputing any of that. To say that the NSIC is clearly better and deserving of 4 spots without the AQ is where I think there is some pushback. The early season tournaments are a barometer and it matters, but it's not a tell all... I'd put money on NW to beat Souix Falls 8 or 9 out of 10 times, wouldn't you? Souix Falls was better that day though. Washburn played Augustana down 3 starters... that doesn't change the fact that Augustana won, but it does show that Washburn is a completely different team today than they were that first month, and really, most teams are at this point... NW isn't playing all that well if we're being honest. The NSIC had a great tournament season and it is reflected, but to insinuate an 11 loss Moorhead team is clearly more deserving than a 5 loss Fort Hays, a 9 loss Washburn, or a 9 loss Oklahoma Baptist team that they lost to based on preseason results is questionable at best. It could prove to be true, but it wasn't at the time you were trumpeting it. Moorhead did what it HAD to do, so congrats and be happy that they are playing some of their best basketball at the right time... it's a new season and Moorhead will have every chance to prove that they belonged in this thing.
                  NW is not playing great by their standards but look at their losses- early bad loss to SF, 1 point OT loss at UCO, got thumped at ESU, 1 point loss v Washburn, 1 point loss v ESU. 3 losses by a total of 3 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Last edited by Moorhead123; 03-03-2022, 04:24 PM.

Comment

NW is not playing great by their standards but look at their losses- early bad loss to SF, 1 point OT loss at UCO, got thumped at ESU, 1 point loss v Washburn, 1 point loss v ESU. 3 losses by a total of 3 points.

Comment

They played poorly first couple weeks of season, then played better, and now playing not as well as they did in the middle. Would I prefer they be playing as they did in the middle of the season? Yes but I think we've been spoiled as fans.

They are still only giving up 63 points a game on average and the last time I saw the stat a couple weeks ago they again had the most efficient offense in all NCAA when looking at points per possession.

Comment

They played poorly first couple weeks of season, then played better, and now playing not as well as they did in the middle. Would I prefer they be playing as they did in the middle of the season? Yes but I think we've been spoiled as fans.

They are still only giving up 63 points a game on average and the last time I saw the stat a couple weeks ago they again had the most efficient offense in all NCAA when looking at points per possession.
                          Without question.

Comment

Watch out boys, you start questioning moorhead123 or his team the wrath of 13-14 moons will be brought down on you.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                              Watch out boys, you start questioning moorhead123 or his team the wrath of 13-14 moons will be brought down on you.

Comment

UCO made semis in MIAA tourney tonight 77-66 over NEOK

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X