Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again, Wizard for D-2 Basketball Commissioner!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post

Two trip limit makes sense financially, but you are only talking about four teams total that have to make three trips. Keep it centrally located such as Evansville, so that nobody has to go clear across the country for that final trip.
      Does anyone think if their team made it to the Final Four they couldn't find the money for travel from their donors? It's amazing what winning does to the generate more support from the donor base!

Comment

good idea. makes sense. maybe in the future this could happen

Comment

Add to the debate the challenge of playing 3 games in four days (current D2 format). Increases injury risk. The regional finals are being played between two tired teams. As is the national championship game.

Revenue probably increases the first weekend, with 16 host sites (more home crowd fan bases). Neutral court sites from sweet 16 on, providing a more level playing field for the 16 best teams.

Comment

I would love to see some form of this tournament format created. Could you even go so far as to truly seed the thing regardless of geography? The West has a lot of lower ranked teams so they would have to travel quite a bit. But they already have to travel quite a bit. The three weekend model with schools hosting the first weekend is basically what the D1 women's tournament does now so I think D2 could do the same thing. I don't know how common it would be, but it could give some schools a chance to host both men and women first round games. Logistically it does create issues. Could the NCAA kick in some additional money from what they make on the D1 tourney, I think so. For many D2 fans there might be a chance of traveling somewhere in the same region, but half-way across the country is not feasible. There is also a discussion to be had on possible reseeding each week, or setting up one big bracket. I'd probably lean toward a solid bracket to start and let it play out, but since the main point of this exercise is to get the best possible teams to the Final Four I could pretty easily be talked into reseeding as well.

Well done MisterWizard. It would be really cool to see multiple NSIC and MIAA teams make it to the second and third weekend of this tournament. There are also some very good teams in the other parts of the country, but the strength of D2 basketball is in flyover country.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESUMensBBall/sta...0FteGQrEg&s=19

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X