Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess today marks the official start of the annual Coach McCollum watch. Will he stay or will he go? One negative thing for NW fans is that with the Cats being done earlier, jobs aren't getting filled while he's still focused on his team. Obviously, he's earned the right if he does finally make a move. If he were to leave, the watch might then turn to the transfer portal....

Just some more happy thoughts to help get us through the week Bearcats. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
      I guess today marks the official start of the annual Coach McCollum watch. Will he stay or will he go? One negative thing for NW fans is that with the Cats being done earlier, jobs aren't getting filled while he's still focused on his team. Obviously, he's earned the right if he does finally make a move. If he were to leave, the watch might then turn to the transfer portal....

Just some more happy thoughts to help get us through the week Bearcats. lol
      I am thinking that Wichita State could be a serious candidate to get Ben McCollum if they have interest. That is a program that has traditionally been good & has resources available if the next coach can get it moving in the right direction. He would be the coach of the most important athletic program at WSU so not having to share any funding with football. They probably aren’t super far away from competing near the top of the AAC with the talent level they have if they hire the right coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by ichabodhater View Post

I am thinking that Wichita State could be a serious candidate to get Ben McCollum if they have interest. That is a program that has traditionally been good & has resources available if the next coach can get it moving in the right direction. He would be the coach of the most important athletic program at WSU so not having to share any funding with football. They probably aren’t super far away from competing near the top of the AAC with the talent level they have if they hire the right coach.
        That would be a hard one to turn down if they were interested. Greg Marshall proved you could win there and Wichita State proved that they will pay good money to keep a good coach. I had some insider information that Mizzou quietly pursued him when they ended up hiring Kim Anderson... he turned down some pretty big money, but Mizzou was also a train wreck at the time. I'm sure he had other offers... he was the hottest coach on the block until he wasn't. But yes, you're right Wichita State has the resources to be competitive in every way. That'll be an interesting one to watch.

Comment

• I’ll write a check to WSU Athletics today, if that’s what it takes.

Comment

• What are the odds that Wes uses his extra year? I think he’ll come back IF Ben stays.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
              What are the odds that Wes uses his extra year? I think he’ll come back IF Ben stays.
              I've heard that's a possibility if Ben stays, but I don't know how reliable that is. I'd also heard rumors that Stirtz could transfer regardless and would almost be assured of that if Ben would leave. Again, not claiming to have any reliable inside knowledge of either situation.... just heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend kind of thing.

Comment

That would be a hard one to turn down if they were interested. Greg Marshall proved you could win there and Wichita State proved that they will pay good money to keep a good coach. I had some insider information that Mizzou quietly pursued him when they ended up hiring Kim Anderson... he turned down some pretty big money, but Mizzou was also a train wreck at the time. I'm sure he had other offers... he was the hottest coach on the block until he wasn't. But yes, you're right Wichita State has the resources to be competitive in every way. That'll be an interesting one to watch.
                he didn't turn the $ down, koch bros matched. rather he leveraged them into a raise.

that would be a slam dunk for ben if they were interested. & w/ griffan's recent booster club membership they're flush with cash.
                Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I've heard that's a possibility if Ben stays, but I don't know how reliable that is. I'd also heard rumors that Stirtz could transfer regardless and would almost be assured of that if Ben would leave. Again, not claiming to have any reliable inside knowledge of either situation.... just heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend kind of thing.

All of these things happening all sound positively delightful to the rest of the MIAA & region. I was told by an acquaintance of mine from NW who claimed he had insider knowledge that Wes Dreamer has no intention of returning to Maryville either way however I also was led to believe that Diego had no intention of staying for a 5th year but we all know he did. I definitely think if Ben stays Dreamer maybe gets talked into returning. I was tremendously impressed with the Stirtz kid & he could be the best player in the league for the next 3 years if he wants to be. I think maybe he has d1 aspirations but I have nothing to support that thought with. If he wants to stay in d2 Emporia State would gladly accept him. He has familial ties to Emporia State as his dad is an ESU grad.

Comment

• Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

he didn't turn the $ down, koch bros matched. rather he leveraged them into a raise.

that would be a slam dunk for ben if they were interested. & w/ griffan's recent booster club membership they're flush with cash.
                    Tomato, tomato... saying that in text doesn't really work. lol Anyway, it's semantics. The person I got that from was working a camp for Greg Marshall and Marshall told him it was the hardest decision he'd ever made, that Mizzou had offered him $3 million a year, but you are correct, right around that same time, he got a big bump and extension... I think he was making around 3.5 when he was fired.

I agree that would be an ideal situation for someone in Ben's position.... I guess we'll know soon enough if he's on their radar.
                    Last edited by Alfred33; 03-14-2023, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• he's leipold in hoops in the sense that he's won too many titles to be another kim anderson. i would do it if i were them but i bet they don't - it's a big jump to the aac.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• IF Ben moves up I could see Bennett following him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ichabodhater View Post

Found this on CBSSports.com

Brown was interim coach in 2020-21, got Wichita State to the First Four and was given the full-time job. The past two seasons: 32-28. The Shockers finished outside the top 100 at KenPom. Former Maryland/Wichita State coach Mark Turgeon is rumored to be interested in the opening, as is Furman coach Bob Richey and potentially Houston associate head coach Kellen Sampson. Wichita State is spreading its net far and wide. This is a key hire at a crucial time for the program.

If this is accurate...pretty tough competition for Ben (if there's any interest from either or both parties)

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                            What are the odds that Wes uses his extra year? I think he’ll come back IF Ben stays.
                            I'd be shocked. Isn't he engaged?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat97 View Post

I'd be shocked. Isn't he engaged?
                              Asked his dad at the MIAA Tourney...he said he had no idea whether he'd play another year or not...seemed genuine in his answer. May be a chance.

Comment

• DB made the cut down to 25 on the Bevo Francis list
                                Last edited by NWFanatic; 03-15-2023, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X